Pope 'can't claim abuse immunity'

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Pope 'can't claim abuse immunity'

Postby coldharvest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:35 am

The Pope cannot claim immunity as head of state from charges in the paedophile priests scandal, says a campaigning lawyer.

Richard Dawkins, the scientist, and author Christopher Hitchens want Benedict XVI arrested on his visit to the UK in September for the alleged cover-up of the abuse.

Their lawyer Mark Stephens doubts the Pope can claim immunity. He said: "I believe an English court would reject it," adding that Mussolini calling the Vatican a state had no standing in law.

The Pope has faced criticism since it emerged he delayed punishing a priest in 1985 "for the good of the church". Dawkins said: "His first instinct is to cover up the scandal."
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Pope 'can't claim abuse immunity'

Postby Caliban » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:46 pm

"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Black Flag Cafe