Why are Muslims silent about Kurdistan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Why are Muslims silent about Kurdistan

Postby naqarmoza » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Three years ago turkish army entered northern Iraq to fight kurdish forces. Kurds-the largest ethnic group without a state, majority of them are muslims.

Relation between Kurds and other muslims provokes some questions. When Kurdistan was invaded there were no mass protests of angry muslim people, there was no call to boycot Turkey, we saw no turkish flags being burnt...even Amnesty International was not that loud.

The Kurds are the invisible and forgotten people of the Middle East and indeed of the world. UN resolutions, human rights, self determination are all for other peoples. Kurds do not get a one state solution or a two state solution. They don't get any solution or any protection. The EU ignores persecution of Kurds in Turkey. Nobody cares about persecution of Kurds in Iran or Syria. There are no groups to boycott Turkey or Iran or Syria for killing Kurds, denying them rights to their own culture or occupying what should be their homeland. There is no UN Secretariat department devoted to Kurdish rights. Quite simply, nobody cares.

Of course, nobody cares. Because there are muslims on both sides of the battlefield. There are no big bad Jews or big bad Americans involved, so left-wingers and human rights fighters don't feel a need to bother.
naqarmoza

Re: Why are Muslims silent about Kurdistan

Postby coldharvest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn was a Kurd so I care.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Return to Black Flag Cafe