Coast Guard takes out Alaska's tallest structure.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Coast Guard takes out Alaska's tallest structure.

Postby DrakeS » Sun May 02, 2010 2:24 am

Coast Guard takes down Alaska's tallest structure

By DAN JOLING (AP) – 1 day ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Coast Guard has knocked down Alaska's tallest structure.

The agency and a private explosives company on Wednesday used controlled explosives to demolish a 1,350-foot Long Range Aids to Navigation tower on the Seward Peninsula.

The tower was at the Coast Guard LORAN station at Port Clarence about 70 miles northwest of Nome.

It was tallest tower of its kind in the country.

A Coast Guard spokesman says the tower was deteriorating and at risk of collapse.

The agency says the Alaska Public TeleCommunications tower in Knik 30 miles north of Anchorage is now the state's tallest structure at 808 feet.

LORAN Station Port Clarence Demolition - 6 cameras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqj1hy9NS8&NR=1
nice choice of words Kurt. "damn shame" My arent we eloquent. Just wait till someone has a few "choice words " for you, too. Uhhh duhhh...hmmmmh
DrakeS
mach

Re: Coast Guard takes out Alaska's tallest structure.

Postby Caliban » Sun May 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Since bringing down the remotely located navigation tower there has been no word or any sightings of the demolition crew.....
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Black Flag Cafe