Watch Out Where You Pee.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Watch Out Where You Pee.

Postby Hitoru » Wed May 12, 2010 1:08 pm

This was one of my friends cousins. He must have tried to pick the snake up.

Smithville Man Dies from Snake Bite
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/health/S ... 0509-ktbcw

Updated: Sunday, 09 May 2010, 6:37 PM CDT
Published : Sunday, 09 May 2010, 6:37 PM CDT

myFOXaustin(AUSTIN) - The family of 35 year old George Yancy will always remember him as fearless and brave.

The Smithville man died on the way to the hospital after a rattle snake bit him.
It happened on Thursday sometime after 7p.m. off a rural road called "Old Potato Road" in Smithville.

That night, his brother Jack Yancy, said George was headed home from work.

Tony Hardin, Austin Herpetological Society said, "One is the Western Diamond Back Rattlesnake, which is the most common found throughout Central and Western parts of the state. The other is the Timber Rattlesnake, they are found in isolated pockets."

Yancy, the victim’s brother said, "He went to pull off on the side of the road as you usually do in the country to use the restroom. And as he was using the restroom his pants fell down to his ankles and he went to pick up his pants and that's when the snake bit him on his hand."
Tony Hardin is the President of the Austin Herpetological Society.

He says there are two types of rattlesnakes found in Bastrop County, Timber Rattlesnakes and Western Diamond Back Rattlesnakes.

Hardin says someone dying from a venomous snake bite is rare.

According to the state department of health services website about 7,000 people in the U.S. are bitten by venomous snakes each year.

Only 1 out of 500 results in death.

Another piece of advice, Gluesenkamp says do not run away from the snake.

He says it's best to stop, locate the snake and walk away from it.

Andrew Gluesenkamp, PhD Herpetologist said, "Be aware of your surroundings. So before you put your hand or any part of your body anywhere look at the area. Before you out your boots or clothing on the ground or pick those things up and put them on your body look around."
George Yancy is survived by his four young girls.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Re: Watch Out Where You Pee.

Postby Woodsman » Wed May 12, 2010 1:46 pm

There are a lot of blood vessels in the hands - fang gets in there and poison would spread quickly. I wouldn't be as concerned with a timber rattler, but the Diamondbacks pack a serious punch. Either one can make your skin pretty nasty looking after a bite - best to treat quickly. As we (Hitoru and I) know, lots of times just getting out of where you're at takes a while, much less getting to the hospital.

If I did a lot of work or lived down in that country, I would keep some kit nearby specifically for this issue. You can be quite aware and still be bit by a snake - let's face it - they have cryptic coloring for a reason and sometimes they just don't stick out.

We only have one rattler here - the Massasauga. It's so rare around here - and very nocturnal, nobody is going to see one - they hardly ever bite anybody and they're small anyway - so don't pack any venom. I've never seen one and don't know anyone who works in the forest professionally around here who has seen one in the last twenty years.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe