UK election: always look on the bright side of life

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

UK election: always look on the bright side of life

Postby Penta » Sun May 16, 2010 9:00 pm

The way the election has worked out, there's a good chance many of the legal assaults on our civil liberties will be repealed, and quickly, in a Great Repeal Bill, though I doubt those taken under the guise of anti-terrorism will change much. Henry Porter, one of the main critics, is almost ecstatic:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -coalition

Meanwhile, with rather less hope of success, I guess, Geoffrey Robertson is calling on the new government to prevent the extradition and expected long prison term for the hacker Gary McKinnon, since Cameron himself criticised the previous government about it:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... on-justice
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Re: UK election: always look on the bright side of life

Postby Fenrisco » Mon May 17, 2010 4:52 am

The usual delight over sweeping out the old shower of unproductive parasites and ushering in a new set will be predictably short-lived; however, this is something of substance - almost too good to be true.

I was in London a few months ago for a flying visit. The strength and ubiquity of the social conditioning and reinforcement messages present in everything from the media to interpersonal day-to-day language is astonishing, and astonishingly obvious (to someone who has been happily absent from it for years). NLP on a massive scale.

On a brighter note, the tremendous influx of Eastern Europeans seems to have changed the face of London for the better; it has a more polite and better-looking populace than it had a decade ago.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Thu May 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Michael » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Penta wrote:More on Gary McKinnon's case:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... djournment

Send him over, but change his name to something like Mahmoud Iwannajihad and make sure you stick a non-functioning explosive device in his shorts first. He'll make out all right.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Apart from this one awful case, they're going to review the whole one-sided extradition agreement. If they have the balls to cancel it, such situations shouldn't arise again.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to Black Flag Cafe