Vatican says women priests a 'crime against faith'

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Vatican says women priests a 'crime against faith'

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:17 am

The ordination of women as Roman Catholic priests has been made a “crime against the faith” by the Vatican and subject to discipline by its watchdog.

The new rules issued by the Vatican puts attempts at ordaining women among the “most serious crimes” alongside paedophilia and will be handled by investigators from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), considered the successor to the Inquistion.

Women attempting to be priests, and those who try to ordain them, already faced automatic excommunication but the new decree goes further and enshrines the action as “a crime against sacraments”.

The unexpected ruling follows Pope Benedict XVI’s open-armed welcome to Anglican clergy dissatisfied with General Synod attempts to compromise over calls for the ordination of women as bishops.

Under current plans the first women bishops could be ordained in the Anglican Church as soon as 2014, a move which has caused a deep schism between reformers and traditionalists, who threaten to leave the Church of England in droves and defect to Rome.

A group of 70 disgruntled clergy met with a Catholic bishop on Saturday to discuss plans to defect to the Roman Catholic Church and hundreds are said to be poised for an exodus to Rome.

Earlier this year three bishops travelled to the Vatican to talk over an offer made by Pope Benedict XVI inviting disillusioned Anglicans to convert to Catholicism, while still keeping tenets of their own faith.

Within the Roman Catholic Church itself there have been growing calls to allow women to become priests in the wake of the widespread paedophilia scandal.

A demonstration staged in St Peter’s Square last month saw calls for the Pope to open the ranks of priests to women to renew the Church and solve a chronic shortage in ministries around the world. Women priests have been allowed in the Anglican Church since 1992.

But the Vatican made its stance clear on by comparing such actions to child abuse crimes and issuing new rules for investigating both by the same disciplinary body.

Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman, underscored how the ordination of women is “a crime against sacraments,” while paedophilia should be considered a “crime against morals” and both would fall under the jurisdiction of the CDF.

The organisation, which was once known as the Holy Office of the Inquisition, was previously headed by the current Pope when he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has been outspoken in his support for an equal role for women within the Anglican Church. “My hope and prayer is that we shall see women ordained as bishops in the Church of England,” he said recently.

“My hope and prayer is also that we do that in a way which does not so violently disrupt some of our common life and some important features of it, that we actually lose one another in the process.”

The Church of England would not comment on the move by Rome. “It is not our policy to comment on the affairs of other Churches,” a spokesman said.

The raft of new rules from the Vatican includes the fast tracking of the investigation process of priests accused of child abuse following widespread criticism of the Church’s handling of recent scandals.

The CDF will accelerate investigations of paedophile priests and extend the statute of limitations by 10 years to 20 years after the victim’s 18th birthday. It could defrock priests but would not be forced to hand over abusers to the civil courts.

Victims’ groups said the new measures fell short because the investigations were to be carried out behind closed doors.

The Survivors Network for those Abused by Priests (SNAP), said the measures could be “summed up in three words: missing the boat”.

”Clergy sex crimes must be reported to police and the Vatican must make this a binding policy that is uniformly enforced,” SNAP executive David Clohessy said in a statement.”Today’s action doesn’t do that.”
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Vatican says women priests a 'crime against faith'

Postby flipflop » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 am

Are the old poofs scared of a few butch dykes running around the place?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 am

flipflop wrote:Are the old poofs scared of a few butch dykes running around the place?

.....they're frightened by the second hole.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:42 am

coldharvest wrote:.....they're frightened by the second hole.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:28 pm

coldharvest wrote:The ordination of women as Roman Catholic priests has been made a “crime against the faith” by the Vatican and subject to discipline by its watchdog.

Of course, because the "faith" is to sodomize the male choir children, and you can't sodomize anyone unless you have the right tool to do it with. God forbid strap-ons.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby IT_whipping_boy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

I want a religion were sermons are given by hot naked women and communion is with bacon and beer.
“Thinking that merely a positive attitude will bring you success is like parachuting with a handkerchief.”
IT_whipping_boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm

IT_whipping_boy wrote:I want a religion were sermons are given by hot naked women and communion is with bacon and beer.

What a superb idea, if you don't find one why not start your own?
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby mapandcompass » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 pm

IT_whipping_boy wrote:I want a religion were sermons are given by hot naked women and communion is with bacon and beer.

You can count me in. Seriously.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:04 pm

There you go, you've got 2 disciples already.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Make that three.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:27 am

The catholic church are scared of women priests because even Jesus died after bleeding for only one day....
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Black Flag Cafe