Lautenberg amendment passed

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Lautenberg amendment passed

Postby Penta » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:49 pm

This Lautenberg amendment to the FY 2011 State and Foreign Operations bill has been passed by the Senate Appropriations Committee along with the bill itself, as far as I can gather. Can someone tell me how far along the process that is? Does it have to go through many more stages, can/will the religious right still stop it or is it nearly there? If/when it is passed, it will be very good news for organisations providing HIV/AIDS, contraceptive and abortion services in Africa particularly and other parts of the global south, as it will permanently prevent the reimposition of the Global Gag Rule which has done so much damage. Obama, to his credit, lifted it on taking office, but the worry that it will be reimposed has cast a continuing shadow on services and funding.

This piece is specifically about unsafe abortions in Ethiopia (causing 10,000 maternal deaths a year), but the gag's permanent removal will have a much wider effect in all areas of sexual and contraceptive health: http://www.opendemocracy.net/chi-mgbako ... -in-africa
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Re: Lautenberg amendment passed

Postby Bronco » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:11 pm

http://www.msmagazine.com/news/uswirestory.asp?ID=12547
July 30, 2010

Senate Votes to Permanently Repeal Global Gag Rule

"The Senate Appropriations Committee voted in favor of an amendment to permanently repeal the Global Gag Rule yesterday. Also called the Mexico City policy, the Global Gag Rule prohibits the US from funding overseas organizations that support abortion in any way -- including direct services, counseling, or lobbying activities -- even if the groups use their own monies for such activity. The legislation, introduced by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), comes as an amendment to the State-foreign appropriations bill. According to Population Action International, the amendment passed on a 19 to11 vote, winning the support of almost all Democrats and two Republican Senators, Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). Senator Ben Nelson (D-NE) was the only Democrat to vote against the measure.

Lautenberg's amendment would eliminate the Global Gag Rule permanently, preventing the policy's existence from being subject to party changes in the White House. The Gag Rule was originally adopted by President Ronald Reagan, removed by President Bill Clinton, reinstated by President George W. Bush on his first day in office, and then repealed again by President Obama on his first day in office. Senator Lautenberg said in yesterday's press release, "Women's reproductive health should be protected around the globe, not threatened by an ideological agenda." He continued, "It is time to permanently end the dangerous and harmful global gag rule and strengthen America's position as an international leader for women's rights."

The House version of the State-foreign appropriations bill does not contain a measure to repeal the Global Gag rule, thus leaving the future of Lautenberg's amendment in question. Additionally, it is unlikely that the FY 2011 appropriations bill will be completed in time for a vote in either the House or the Senate, possibly delaying any action on spending bills until after the mid-term elections."

If the Democrats lose seats in the next election the Republicans probably won't allow the passage of the bill.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Re: Lautenberg amendment passed

Postby Penta » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Bronco wrote:The House version of the State-foreign appropriations bill does not contain a measure to repeal the Global Gag rule, thus leaving the future of Lautenberg's amendment in question. Additionally, it is unlikely that the FY 2011 appropriations bill will be completed in time for a vote in either the House or the Senate, possibly delaying any action on spending bills until after the mid-term elections."

If the Democrats lose seats in the next election the Republicans probably won't allow the passage of the bill.

Thanks, Bronco. What a drag. The trouble is that it affects everyone's funding decisions. I was all ready to pop a bottle of cava. :(
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to Black Flag Cafe