Labour elects Ed Milliband as leader

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Labour elects Ed Milliband as leader

Postby coldharvest » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:28 pm

LOL
that'll be Labour out of power for the foreseeable future
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Labour elects Ed Milliband as leader

Postby Penta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 am

Pessimist.
Look on the bright side: he comes over as a human being, he's making as clear a break as possible with New Labour, the target culture, pandering to the filthy rich, war-mongering and civil liberties authoritarianism, he's got nearly five years to rebuild - and the Tory cuts haven't even started yet.
I might even rejoin the party. ;)
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:10 pm

deeds not words
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Give the boy a chance.

Everyone knows he's nice and bright and thoughtful, and more of a human being than David. The question he has to answer, I think, is whether he can be decisive and ruthless enough. Just running against David - and winning - may indicate that he can. We'll see.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Penta wrote:Give the boy a chance.

He had a chance in the last government and I wasn't overly impressed by him but at least his fool of a brother didn't get in.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Caliban » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Penta wrote:Pessimist.
Look on the bright side: he comes over as a human being, he's making as clear a break as possible with New Labour, the target culture, pandering to the filthy rich, war-mongering and civil liberties authoritarianism, he's got nearly five years to rebuild - and the Tory cuts haven't even started yet.
I might even rejoin the party. ;)

And he is more like his Marxist father than "call me Dave" the Blair clone
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Penta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Caliban wrote:And he is more like his Marxist father than "call me Dave" the Blair clone
Only to the extent that he's not a Blair clone. Which doesn't make him anything like his father in that respect. You should hear what someone like Tariq Ali, who was a big mate of Ralph's and has known both boys all their lives, has to say about them. Not worth swallowing all the crap the Torygraph and the redtops are spraying.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Caliban » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:34 am

Penta wrote:
Caliban wrote:And he is more like his Marxist father than "call me Dave" the Blair clone
Only to the extent that he's not a Blair clone. Which doesn't make him anything like his father in that respect. You should hear what someone like Tariq Ali, who was a big mate of Ralph's and has known both boys all their lives, has to say about them. Not worth swallowing all the crap the Torygraph and the redtops are spraying.

The fact that he won it due to the backing of the Unions votes says enough for me.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Penta » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Caliban wrote:The fact that he won it due to the backing of the Unions votes says enough for me.

Which is pretty much all the Tory press has been able to come up with. And they can keep plugging that line as far as I'm concerned, because it'll do them no good, once disaffected Labour supporters return to the fold and people in the middle ground realise that he's not the bogeyman they're trying to paint him as.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Penta wrote:
Caliban wrote:The fact that he won it due to the backing of the Unions votes says enough for me.

Which is pretty much all the Tory press has been able to come up with. And they can keep plugging that line as far as I'm concerned, because it'll do them no good, once disaffected Labour supporters return to the fold and people in the middle ground realise that he's not the bogeyman they're trying to paint him as.

He's nothing but a professional politician and the party he willing followed the policies of have put Britain behind the 8-ball......fuck Red Ed.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Caliban » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:08 am

The Tory press....here we go round the mulberry bush. Its always the tory press. Nothing to do with the fact that the shite this country finds itself standing up to its kness in hasn't been caused by the government we have had for only a couple of months, but by the labour one we had for years.
As it has always seemed to be ,we have had a labour party leave us up the creek without a paddle and now have to suffer the unpalatable taste left in our mouths by what a conservative govt does to pull us back the other way,not necessarily the right way,just their way. And as a result,in 2015 we could well see Milliband starting the whole ball rolling again with a government somewhat to the left of the one that got us into this current mess. 2015 Milliband prime minister, 2017 Winter of discontent 21st century style, 2020 tories back in to slash and burn.
I didn't read that in the Tory press, its just my opinion after 50 years of watching the farce go back and forth and I don't currently see anything in either side to reassure me or convince me otherwise.
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:22 am

Thank you for summing it up nicely Sir.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 am

Of course it was the last government that got us into this mess - but precisely because of New Labour's tack to the right, Blair's Clintonite triangulation, taking on Tory policies: privatisation, deregulation, giving unrestrained markets their head, worshipping wealth, and of course backing Bush in his wars. And that's why Ed's election is so important, in that he's killing off New Labour - or so he says; we'll see.

As for the authoritarianism and assault on civil liberties: there are authoritarian tendencies in both major parties, and civil libertarians in both too (as well as, of course, the Lib Dems). It's great that the coalition has killed off ID cards, thanks to David Davies's courageous campaign, but I don't think even New Labour was going to try to, let alone be able to, ram that through. Let's not forget it was Labour that brought in the Human Rights Act, which is the biggest advance for civil liberties in generations, and it's the Tories (and yes, particularly the Tory press) who've been sniping at it and trying to repeal or gut it. I hope the coalition, under pressure from the libertarian right and the LibDems, will reverse the authoritarian measures of the New Labour years, but I'm not holding my breath.

So I don't think the picture is as simple as you suggest.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:27 pm

None of the people who ran for the leadership deserve to run the Labour Party, they failed their party and failed the people of Britain.
You don't put milk back in the 'fridge once it's gone sour.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Caliban » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Watched his speech today. Seemed particularly well accepted by the majority, but some things struck me.As with any opposition leader,much asCameron did,he can saypretty much anything that people want to hear at this stage in the game. Quite a few of his references to acceptance of the mistakes made by labour were as if they were made by a completely different party,as if somehow when they became the opposition everyone and everything witihn labour changed,so that they now have no responsibility for it and then his warning that there would be no tolerance to the old Union ways of confrontation and strikes he was quite strongly heckled by some prominent Union people, the same ones whos mass votes helped get himto where he is ...
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe