FARC Commander Mono JoJoy dead.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

FARC Commander Mono JoJoy dead.

Postby ochunter375 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:35 am

Any thoughts on this? Will the FARC last? Will they target more people for kidnapping? How will they recruit more members?

Top FARC commander "Mono Jojoy" was killed by Colombian state forces. President Juan Manuel Santos confirmed the death of the rebel leader from New York City, where he is attending the U.N. General Assembly.

The head of the FARC's Eastern Bloc and member of its Secretariat was killed in a massive air strike in a region called La Macarena in the central Colombian Meta department, 120 miles south of Bogota.

Some 20 other guerrillas were killed and five members of the security forces were injured in the attack, the government's Defense Minister Rodrigo Rivera said.

Mono Jojoy, also known as "Jorge Briceño Suárez," but born under the name Victor Julio Suarez Rojas, was thought to be group's second-in-command, and military leader of virtually all guerrillas in the rebels' war with the state.

Mono Jojoy was considered a hardliner within the command structure of the country's largest guerrilla group. He was responsible for holding hostages including politicians, policemen, and soldiers. The veteran guerrilla had a $1.3 million reward on his head, and 62 arrest warrants against him. The United States had requested his extradition to face drug trafficking charges.

The FARC has faced serious setbacks in recent years, with high-level commander "Raul Reyes" killed by a Colombian air strike on Ecuadorean territory in March 2008. The group's founder and supreme leader "Manuel Marulanda" died of natural causes in 2008.

An airstrike by the Colombian armed forces on Sunday killed FARC commander "Domingo Biojo," political leader of the organization's 48th Front, along with at least 26 other rebels.

Current supreme commander "Alfonso Cano" remains at large.

Alfonso Cano proposed dialogue to the Santos administration, but refused to meet the government's demand that the rebels cease violence and release all hostages before talks begin.

The rebel group began a campaign of attacks which have killed at least 56 members of the armed forces since Santos took office on August 7. Santos responded by categorically ruling out peace talks, declaring his government's determination to beat the rebels.
ochunter375

Re: FARC Commander Mono JoJoy dead.

Postby SavageColombia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 am

I'm a bit late in posting this but i haven't been around the Black Flag for awhile now. I used to post a little under Colombianito/Vincent Savage.

I was really impressed with this operation. Apparently they ( Intel) intercepted a pair of boots enroute to Mono Jojo and laid a tracking device inside............the rest was , well as they say : HISTORY!!!!!

I live here in Popayan Colombia. I have a real good feel for whats happening on the ground down here. I don't see FARC going anywhere anytime soon. Just like the original Cartels. When the heat got turned up they simply change tactics. The Ejercito Nacional & Policia Nacional are now starting to work togther.

Last week while on ( 2 ) Colombian Military Bases........... i noticed large groups of both forces training together.

A name to keep an eye on is Pastor Alape. ( Spelled right?? )

I am also seeing another surge of ELN & AUC............ especially in my Department : Cauca

Its a very complicated situation down here..

RYP : I have new contact info. for you as the info. you have is now being changed.
SavageColombia

Return to Black Flag Cafe