Galloway should have been left to his obscurity

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Galloway should have been left to his obscurity

Postby coldharvest » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 pm

George Galloway lost his challenge to a government decision that kept him from entering Canada, but Immigration Minister Jason Kenney is the real loser in the case.

Galloway is a self-promoting gadfly who attracts attention to himself by helping terrorists get money and sympathy for their activities. Even his own constituents got tired of his antics and kicked him out in the last British election.

But he’s a small-time agitator and Kenney only helped his cause by acting to block him from entering the country. No one but his own sparse collection of followers would have known he was here if the minister hadn’t stumbled onto the scene.

Galloway lost his case on a technicality. Since he decided not to show up, he was never formally denied entry and thus there was no case to challenge. But Justice Richard Mosley made clear that Kenney wasn’t fooling anyone. It was clear, he said, that the decision was political from the get-go, and Kenney and his director of communications, Alykhan Velshi, just tried to hide it by cloaking it in terms of national security:

“The result, in my view, was a flawed and overreaching interpretation of the standards under Canadian law for labelling someone as engaging in terrorism or being a member of a terrorist organization,” the judgement reads. “It is clear that the efforts to keep Mr. Galloway out of the country had more to do with antipathy to his political views than with any real concern that he had engaged in terrorism or was a member of a terrorist organization.”

In his ruling, Mosley outlined a chain of events that started on March 16, 2009 with Velshi doing some on-line research of open sources about Galloway’s activities. Velshi “expressed the view that Mr. Galloway was inadmissible” in e-mails that circulated through the Immigration Department in the next few hours.

“Apart from the open sources cited by Mr. Velshi in his e-mails, it does not appear from the record what, if any, additional research was conducted. When consulted, CSIS advised CBSA that they had no concerns with Mr. Galloway’s visit from a security perspective,” Mosley said in the ruling.

Government officials reached a decision that was not reasonable and erred in its application of the law, but the judge noted the “novel” circumstances they faced with their political masters.

“Moreover, they were being asked to provide a rapid assessment in circumstances where Ministers’ offices were actively engaged and where political staff and senior officials had already staked out a position . . . the assessment was written after political staff and senior officials had prematurely reached the conclusion that Galloway was inadmissible.”

Canada doesn’t need amateur theatrics like this from its immigration minister. People like George Galloway are inconsequential. We should leave them to their obscurity.

Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/09/28/galloway-should-have-been-left-to-his-obscurity/#ixzz10qDjiJ3W
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Galloway should have been left to his obscurity

Postby Penta » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Interesting how the writer of this article accuses Galloway of supporting terrorists, without providing any evidence, at the same time as he quotes the judge saying there was no evidence he was a member of any terrorist organisation nor any concerns from the point of view of security:

Galloway is a self-promoting gadfly who attracts attention to himself by helping terrorists get money and sympathy for their activities.

“The result, in my view, was a flawed and overreaching interpretation of the standards under Canadian law for labelling someone as engaging in terrorism or being a member of a terrorist organization,” the judgement reads. “It is clear that the efforts to keep Mr. Galloway out of the country had more to do with antipathy to his political views than with any real concern that he had engaged in terrorism or was a member of a terrorist organization. ...When consulted, CSIS advised CBSA that they had no concerns with Mr. Galloway’s visit from a security perspective,” Mosley said in the ruling.

Yellow journalism.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 am

He's a oily rag of a human being totally concerned with whatever bandwagon he can hop so as to better reach the political teat.

I pray that Canadian show more sense than the British when he shows up in Toronto....the only other city beside Vancouver that would listen to him.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 am

coldharvest wrote:He's a oily rag of a human being totally concerned with whatever bandwagon he can hop so as to better reach the political teat.

No problem agreeing with you there. Still no reason to exclude him or to label him a supporter of terrorism.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:38 am

Penta wrote:
coldharvest wrote:He's a oily rag of a human being totally concerned with whatever bandwagon he can hop so as to better reach the political teat.

No problem agreeing with you there. Still no reason to exclude him or to label him a supporter of terrorism.

....but he does support Hammas.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:59 am

Which happens to be the elected government in Gaza, where Israel is applying collective punishment in defiance of international law and repeated UN demands to cease and desist. Our lords and masters support the monsters who run Uzbekistan, for instance, and the Saudis who bankrolled al-Qaeda. Not to mention the US's previous support for the Taliban or its current support for MEK's terrorist activities in Iran. Universal standards? Meh.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Penta wrote:Which happens to be the elected government in Gaza.

democratic approval does not camouflage terrorism.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Return to Black Flag Cafe