Obama hates Pot and State's Rights

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Obama hates Pot and State's Rights

Postby coldharvest » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:06 am

Holder promises to enforce U.S. drug laws if Prop. 19 passes

Stepping up the Obama administration's opposition to Proposition 19, the nation's top law enforcement official promised to "vigorously enforce" federal drug laws against Californians who grow or sell marijuana for recreational use even if voters pass the legalization measure.

U.S. Atty. Gen. Eric Holder's response to the initiative comes as the administration has been under pressure to campaign against it more forcefully. Last week, Mexico's president, Felipe Calderon, chided the Obama administration for not doing enough to defeat it. And last month, nine former heads of the Drug Enforcement Administration publicly urged Holder to speak out.

In a letter sent Wednesday to the former DEA administrators, Holder wrote, "Let me state clearly that the Department of Justice strongly opposes Proposition 19. If passed, this legislation will greatly complicate federal drug enforcement efforts to the detriment of our citizens."

Holder's letter underscores that a period of turmoil, pitting the federal government against pot legalization backers, will ensue if voters approve Proposition 19. After California legalized medical marijuana in 1996 the DEA launched numerous raids against dispensaries and growers.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marijuana-holder-20101016,0,5547626.story
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Obama hates Pot and State's Rights

Postby ktrout » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Funny how politicians alternatively hate/love state's rights and hate/love the SCOTUS "legislating from the bench" depending on the issue.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Yeah - we can't have people enjoying themselves. That would be just wrong.

What a bunch of blow hard old geezers. They make the mafia look like a lemonade stand.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 am

Former surgeon general calls for marijuana legalization

Former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders told CNN Sunday she supports legalizing marijuana.

The trend-setting state of California is voting next month on a ballot initiative to legalize pot, also known as Proposition 19. The measure would legalize recreational use in the state, though federal officials have said they would continue to enforce drug laws in California if the initiative is approved.

"What I think is horrible about all of this, is that we criminalize young people. And we use so many of our excellent resources ... for things that aren't really causing any problems," said Elders. "It's not a toxic substance."

Supporters of California's Prop. 19 say it would raise revenue and cut the cost of enforcement, while opponents point to drug's harmful side-effects.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter, obtained by CNN Friday, that federal agents would continue to enforce federal marijuana laws and warned Prop. 19, if passed, would be a major stumbling block to federal partnerships between state and local authorities around drug enforcement.

His letter was a response to an August letter from several former directors of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration urging the White House to block Prop. 19 if it's approved next month.

Elders stressed the drug is not physically addictive and pointed to the damaging impact of alcohol, which is legal.

"We have the highest number of people in the world being criminalized, many for non-violent crimes related to marijuana," said Elders. "We can use our resources so much better."
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 pm

This is what I was talkin bout the other night Skies.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vetparatrooper » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I cannot drink alcohol that much due to a recently developed stomach problem...although I enjoy a glass (and sometimes a whole bottle or two) of wine and a beer once in a while...but man, it would be nice to be able to light up a dooblie and feel good sometimes without having to worry about the side effects caused by alcohol.....I hope one day this nation opens its eyes and realizes that there are far moredangerous LEGAL drugs on the market out there then there are ILLEGAL drugs. Not to mention the fact that with the type of leg injury I have, pot is a much better painmedication than anything they have on the market today.
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 am

Not a fan of pot myself, but anyway, I thought the federal government gave up on pretending states had rights a long time ago.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Return to Black Flag Cafe