Europe hates the Eskimo

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Europe hates the Eskimo

Postby coldharvest » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 am

Canadian Inuit and sealers will appeal a European court's refusal to suspend a ban on the import of seal products in Europe, they said Friday.
The European Parliament endorsed the ban last year after a public outcry over Canada's annual commercial seal hunt, which animal rights activists denounce as cruel.

The decision angered Canada and prompted a legal challenge by Inuit groups from Canada and Greenland.

On Friday, Canada's national Inuit organization -- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami (ITK) -- and the Fur Institute of Canada said they "plan to appeal the EU court decision."

"I am disappointed and angered that the suspension of the ban has been lifted," ITK president Mary Simon said in a statement.

"We view this as a minor setback," she added. "We plan to appeal the ruling as we believe the original seal ban was based on colonial perceptions of our sealing practices, and this week's ruling is a perfect illustration of this."

Simon called the ban "a great injustice" and said European parliamentarians' support for it showed they "continue to be blinded by a combination of old, discredited colonialist attitudes and a cynical disinformation campaign from animal rights activists."

The European ban includes an exemption for seal products derived from hunts traditionally conducted by Inuit and indigenous communities for subsistence, dealing a blow to hunters and fur traders.

Despite the exemption, Inuit insist the move adversely affects them because it shrinks the market for the product. They also fear the exemption would not always be respected.

The ban took partial effect on August 20 with a temporary exemption for ITK and 15 other plaintiffs who sought a freeze until Europe's top court makes a final ruling.

The judge rejected their request, making it a total ban until the European Court of Justice decides on the legality of the prohibition.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Europe hates the Eskimo

Postby Caliban » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 am

"Colonialist predjudices" and pandering to the right on, political correct, hug a mountain gorilla,fur is murder drivelling shite.

Its not like these people can do something alternative like media industry or tourism. We are never going to see The First Inuit Bank this year made profits of 10 Billion orads for Fly Inuitair.

For European Parliament read Interfering, arrogant, useless, unelected fuckers, I say
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Black Flag Cafe