Airport sues over Obama visit

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby DrakeS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:00 am

Sep 28, 2011 7:13pm

(NECN: Peter Howe, Marlborough, Mass.) You'd think for a small airport owner, there'd be no more exciting honor than to have Marine One land with the president of the United States.

But for Bob Stetson, it's been a 16-months-and-counting disaster.

It was April 1, 2010, when President Obama landed at the single-runway airport Stetson owns here, taking a break during a fundraising trip to Boston to check in on Massachusetts emergency management officials at their Framingham bunker as they worked to respond to devastating floods. Stetson got a last-minute call from the U.S. Navy asking if he could accommodate six helicopters for a "VIP visit" -- which turned out to be President Obama with a full motorcade full of armored limousines and emergency vehicles.

"As I saw the vehicles come through the gate, drive out onto the runway, I said, 'Oh boy, this isn't going to be good,''' Stetson recalled in an interview Wednesday.

At that time of year, the airport was waterlogged, with a mushy, muddy base of soil, and Stetson himself would never drive cars or trucks onto the runway in early spring because of the damage it could do to a runway built to accommodate 2,000-pound planes.

"The heavy vehicles went out there, they crushed the runway structure for about one half the length of the runway, and I need to get it fixed,'' Stetson said, adding that engineers have estimated it will cost $675,000 to repair the potholes, dips, and ruts left by the Secret Service motorcade.

Marlboro Airport (spelled differently from the town's formal name) remains safe to use, under normal conditions, for the roughly 1,000 takeoffs and landings it sees each month, but it's not safe enough to meet Federal Aviation Administration inspectors' standards.

"A pilot that's flying responsibly and keeps his airplane in the middle of the runway as he should is not going to have a problem,'' Stetson said. "On the other hand, if there were a situation -- crosswinds or temporary loss of control or something like that -- and the airplane got caught up in that depression, it could throw it out of control.''

Marlboro Airport opened in 1922 and got its first paved runway in 1962 -- and while cracks have been sealed and repairs made, what's there today is the same 49-year-old pavement that was first laid at the airport. So the last thing Stetson needed or could handle were the dozen-plus vehicles, including a 44-ton truck, that commandeered the runway.

After Obama left and the damage his trip left behind was apparent, Stetson appealed, in vain, to state and federal management officials for financial help to repair the pavement and turf damage. He then turned to the Navy, who promptly explained to him that the Secret Service had controlled the motorcade that drove over the runway.

(Stetson agrees that the Marine Corps choppers left no damage behind, just the ground vehicles.)

After months of runaround, "the Secret Service denied my claim and suggested that if I was unhappy with that decision that I should file a lawsuit in federal court,'' Stetson said.

And that's what he finally did, on Tuesday in U.S. court in Worcester, seeking $676,000 from the government to repair the damage.

Secret Service Special Agent in Charge Edwin M. Donovan said by e-mail from Washington that the agency is not commenting or responding to Stetson "because it's pending litigation.''

Stetson mainly is disgusted it's come to this, that he has to go to court to get visitors who damaged the airport to take responsibility and pay for fixing it. "No, I don't like doing it,'' Stetson said. "I would have far preferred to have sat down with folks and worked it out informally, gentleman to gentleman. I was denied that opportunity.''

And while he keeps a handsome framed photo of Marine One signed by the crew that piloted it to Marlboro Airport back on April Fools Day of 2010, one more thing that eats at Stetson: No one from the White House ever called or wrote to say, thank you for letting us use your airport.

With videographer David Jacobs
video on page

http://www.necn.com/09/28/11/Airport-su ... eedID=4206
DrakeS
mach

Re: Airport sues over Obama visit

Postby The Tourist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:41 pm

No kidding. Obama has been to my area three times. We're on an isthmus. There are limited ways across and around the city, including several exits on the Interstate that serves us.

These procedures tie up traffic and they shut down every Interstate exit when the motorcade passes through.

Obama spoke near the campus, which is only several blocks from our State Capitol Building. Every one hour "feel good" speech he gives here ties up the entire city for days.
The Tourist
You are the weakest link – Goodbye

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:04 pm

The Tourist wrote:No kidding. Obama has been to my area three times. We're on an isthmus. There are limited ways across and around the city, including several exits on the Interstate that serves us.

These procedures tie up traffic and they shut down every Interstate exit when the motorcade passes through.

Obama spoke near the campus, which is only several blocks from our State Capitol Building. Every one hour "feel good" speech he gives here ties up the entire city for days.

Just hang in the until myself and the others can organize a telethon for you.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby The Tourist » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:Just hang in the until myself and the others can organize a telethon for you.

My city is the capital of the state. He shuts down our government to trumpet the crap he is not doing for his office.
The Tourist
You are the weakest link – Goodbye

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 pm

This is not a big surprise.

They may just settle it, hard to say.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 pm

The government fucking a guy who started his own business to get ahead, no surprise here

You get those "evil" paper millionaires! Us government!

- JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe