"We will not have an all-volunteer army" Bush, Oct

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

"We will not have an all-volunteer army" Bush, Oct

Postby immigrant » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:02 am

Campaigning in an area heavily dependent on the military, Bush said, "We will not have an all-volunteer army"
immigrant
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:06 am

Link?
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skirita » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:54 am

Here's the full quote, in context:

Campaigning in an area heavily dependent on the military, Bush said, "We will not have an all-volunteer army" before correcting himself. "Let me restate that," he continued. "We will not have a draft ... . The best way to avoid a draft is to vote for me."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041017/D85OSOP83.html

Stooping pretty low, Immigrant...
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby immigrant » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:53 am

hes pretty dumb aint he?

"And I think it's very important for the American President to mean what he says. That's why I understand that the enemy could misread what I say. That's why I try to be as clearly as I can." - 9/23/2004 Press Conference with Iyad Allawi

Bush also talked about the "Afghan Army" fighting in Iraq...
immigrant
BFCus Regularus

Postby SoloPilot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:32 pm

Not as dumb as you were, for thinking that we were all so stupid that we'd buy it.

Lessee, who was it that tried to reinstate the draft? Oh, yeah, it was the Kerry supporters, who keep screaming that Bush will draft everyone.
SoloPilot

Location: There I was, flat on my back, outta fuel, outta ammo, no commo . . .

Postby britneyfan97 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:03 pm

ok, so the guy stutters a little here and there... drops in a wrong word every now and then. it's actually quite common - but people jump all over it like it's the biggest thing in the world.

over reaction and scare tactics, try another one.
Proud of being first in the schools history to set a Government vehicle ablaze at Army Military Police Special Tactics Training Center.
britneyfan97
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:09 pm

If there's a second Bush term then some sort of draft is inevitable (presuming the Bush doctrine of 'pre-emptive war' is still followed, and the US doesn't cut and run out of Iraq as soon as the elections are held). It's also inevitable that it won't be called 'the draft' and will probably be targetted at the unemployed (who happily seem to exist in increasing numbers) and immigrants.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:22 pm

Dim...your post could be copied right out of the how to be a liberal handbook.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby SoloPilot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:26 pm

Dim:

Funny how this is so obvious to you in NZ, when those of us here in the US who would actually be dealing with a draft are being told not to plan for one . . .

Again, who was it who sponsored the failed attempt to reinstate the draft? Kerry's crowd, the "Sky is Falling" lobby.
SoloPilot

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:28 pm

5.3% unemployment is problematic? Since when?
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Dim » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:42 pm

Four years ago Bush was also calmly assuring everyone that he wouldn't drive the US into a budget deficit. Do you feel lucky?

The unemployment rate for teenagers is at 16.6% - that's a lot of extra troops . . .

The democratic draft bill was a DOA bill introduced to make a political point - that the people being sent to Iraq were largely from poor rural families. Not even the sponsors were pushing for it.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby doyle » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:53 pm

Dim wrote:Four years ago Bush was also calmly assuring everyone that he wouldn't drive the US into a budget deficit. Do you feel lucky?

The unemployment rate for teenagers is at 16.6% - that's a lot of extra troops . . .

The democratic draft bill was a DOA bill introduced to make a political point - that the people being sent to Iraq were largely from poor rural families. Not even the sponsors were pushing for it.

C'mon, teenage unemployment? That rates not even basis for a valid argument. 90% of those bums are supported by mommy and daddy. You can't get an accurate count on little jimmy that works 2 hours a week at the local ice cream shop.

You're wrong on the troop stats too. I'll try to find it for you, but there was a whole analysis done on the breakdown of race and economic status of the injured and killed troops. It showed that comparing to the racial makeup of the military force, white males from an above average economic status were a higher percentage of the casualties than their percentage of the overall force and black males were a lower percentage of the casualties when compared to the overall force.

The report debunct the whole myth that only poor black kids are sent off to war.

I'll hunt for the link.
doyle
doyle
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:57 pm

I wonder if they'll draft me? How old do you have to be to get out of it?
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Dim » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:02 pm

Don't worry about the link Doyle - I'm merely explaining why the Dems introduced a draft bill. I think it was a dumb political stunt which seems to have backfired. I don't agree with them.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby SoloPilot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:08 pm

Dim, the funny thing is that we have had an all-volunteer military since the mid-1970s, courtesy of the Republicans. They even stopped registration.

It was Jimmy Carter who reinstated registration.

Bill Clinton had eight years to end registration, but he was too busy sending us on his little jaunts to address the issue.

The people in the US military are mostly urban and suburban areas. That's where the PEOPLE are. That's where the recruiters are. But even if they were ALL from "poor rural areas," SO WHAT?

Oh, BTW, you think maybe it costs money to fight a war on terrorism? Maybe when an emergency shows up, the old budget plans are pushed aside . . ?

Personally, I don't care as much about "budget deficit" as I do that the Johns are PROUDLY promising to steal more of my paycheck if they are put into power.
SoloPilot

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe