U.S. rejects pleas for Muslim charity list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Jackson » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:33 am

i think this is just dumb. they should just come out and say which charities are okay to donate too. Cuz otherwise they wire-tap all of us and call us terrorists when we donate to the "wrong" charity organization. I mean, cmon.. all of these charities that Muslims donate to give to humanitarian causes strictly... this is why I think Bush sucks.

-------------------------

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — The U.S. government rejected a request Monday from Muslim groups to draw up a list of Islamic charities to which they could donate without being suspected of terrorist ties.

Muslim groups said they fear giving to a charity that might make them look suspicious to the FBI. The holy month of Ramadan begins this week, and Muslims are required to give to the poor during that period.

"If the government knows there are charities that are misleading the American Muslim community, it's their obligation to help protect these innocent Americans," said Sohail Mohammed, a lawyer for the New Jersey-based American Muslim Union.

The request was rejected by the Justice Department, which called it impossible to fulfill.

"Our role is to prosecute violations of criminal law," said spokesman Bryan Sierra. "We're not in a position to put out lists of any kind, particularly of any organizations that are good or bad."

Since December 2001, numerous Islamic charities in the U.S. have been raided or shut down by federal investigators, including the Dallas-based Holy Land Foundation; two suburban Chicago-area charities, Global Relief Foundation and Benevolence International; and the Sudan-based Islamic American Relief Agency, which has a chapter in Missouri.

None of the raids has led to terrorism-related criminal convictions.

Mohamed Younes, president of the American Muslim Union, was disappointed by the Justice Department's response.

"We are trying to do the right thing and we asked for a little help," he said. "At least we tried."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... ties_x.htm
Jackson
BFCus Regularus

Postby GBR » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:23 am

They do need this list because I'm from Dallas and I always believed the Holy Land Foundation was a good charity I have might doubts they would support terrosim I have never met a arabs as moderate as the ones in Dallas alot of them don't even talk about Israel
Chechnya, Bosnia, Iraq, Palestine we are all brothers we see you falling to the ground covered in blood.
GBR

Postby Shining Eye » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:39 am

Just have the Muslims give the money to Christian charities. This way, you know it won't be going towards financing terrorism.
Terrorist are the missionaries of Islam.
Shining Eye
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe