Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:29 am

Caliban wrote:Someone mentioned to me the other day that "The American" is pretty good.Anyone seen it?

naaahhh...has some nice Italian scenery and lifestyle depicted in it but nothing else really..b
I don't want to know who you use, as long as they're not complete muppets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpyHbcXTIs
JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby erwin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:04 am

AztecDave wrote:
AztecDave wrote:Anybody seen "Restrepo" yet? Have ordered the DVD from Amazon. Will do a movie nite here in my section when it arrives.

Finally received my copy of "Restrepo" from Amazon. Not a bad flick - thought there would be more combat footage, though. I have already read Junger's "War" and am waiting to read Hetherington's "Infidel." Soldiers reminded me of the types I had in my infantry platoons in Korea. Soldiers are the same throughout the ages. Except they have more tattoos these days, I think. :)

Kearney does come off as a Neanderthal more often than not when dealing with the locals. But I also think that he was a pretty good Cdr - and that the soldiers thought so too. And I think that proves the point - that infantrymen are fighters - not politicians. No matter what the politicians think they can do and how much nicety training we give them. The soldier, I forget his name, summed that point up very well in his expanded interview.

a pretty good documentary about Afghanistan is the Danish movie "armadillo ".
it can be found as a torrent download also.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640680/
erwin
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:18 am

JohnnyFishfinger wrote:
Caliban wrote:Someone mentioned to me the other day that "The American" is pretty good.Anyone seen it?

naaahhh...has some nice Italian scenery and lifestyle depicted in it but nothing else really..b

Wasn't a bad flick, but plays out veeeeery slooowly. NTM the Italian actress who plays the love interest is very, very attractive.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 am

Rewatched two of the funniest movies ever made last nite - Monty Python's Holy Grail and Mel Brook's Blazing Saddles. They will never make movies like that again.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 pm

AztecDave wrote:Monty Python's Holy Grail

Ni

But seriously I just saw A Prophet and I can't recommend it enough. A young arab named Malik gets sentenced to six years in a French prison for assaulting a cop and gets involved with the Corsican mob. Niels Arestrup is fuckin great as Cesar, the Corsican mob boss. And Tahar Rahim is outstanding as Malik.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Just watched Tombstone last night with The Stranger. Sam Elliott has infinitely more presence than anyone.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:32 pm

A Prophet is a brilliant film. Too violent for my taste, but none of it gratuitous.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby ktrout » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Just got back from watching the Coen brothers' readaptation of True Grit. Did not disappoint. I thought it was damned brilliant, as a matter of fact.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:06 pm

ktrout wrote:Just got back from watching the Coen brothers' readaptation of True Grit. Did not disappoint. I thought it was damned brilliant, as a matter of fact.

I liked it a lot too. The little girl that played Roosters side-kick stole the movie.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:49 pm

lmetrucking wrote:
ktrout wrote:Just got back from watching the Coen brothers' readaptation of True Grit. Did not disappoint. I thought it was damned brilliant, as a matter of fact.

I liked it a lot too. The little girl that played Roosters side-kick stole the movie.

Ah, actually, I thought the movie was about her. She was about as nice to negotiate with as my ex wife. Jeff Bridges' performance was awesome.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:45 am

ktrout wrote:
lmetrucking wrote:

Ah, actually, I thought the movie was about her. She was about as nice to negotiate with as my ex wife. Jeff Bridges' performance was awesome.

Well that is true to the novel because Portis wrote it from the girl's point of view, as she recalls the story as an old lady. Her character is particularly single minded and self motivated. So if they have made matti more the centre of the story then they have kept closer to the book than the 1968 film, which of course despite Waynes rewrite to make his character the centre of the story is still an excellent film which I loveto regularly watch (last time two days ago !)
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby ktrout » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:55 am

Caliban wrote:which of course despite Waynes rewrite to make his character the centre of the story is still an excellent film which I loveto regularly watch (last time two days ago !)

Typical movie star. I haven't read the book or watched Wayne's version. Might have to. I'm betting that the Coen brothers' version is much more faithful to the book.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 am

ktrout wrote:
Caliban wrote:which of course despite Waynes rewrite to make his character the centre of the story is still an excellent film which I loveto regularly watch (last time two days ago !)

Typical movie star. I haven't read the book or watched Wayne's version. Might have to. I'm betting that the Coen brothers' version is much more faithful to the book.

They said they only wrote and directed it based off the book. It's quite good and worth seeing. Hoping to watch A Prophet when I have some downtime this weekend.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Saw A Team on the plain ride to CAI, wish I coughed up the tenner at the theater. Only shit thing bout the movie was no cameo appearences by the old skool team.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Rhah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:13 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Saw A Team on the plain ride to CAI, wish I coughed up the tenner at the theater. Only shit thing bout the movie was no cameo appearences by the old skool team.

Cool I'll have to check it out, I've been wondering about that flick.

I saw Machete last night: IT FUCKIN' ROCKED!!! All must see. Danny Trejo is the man.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport