Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby kilroy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Saw A Team on the plain ride to CAI, wish I coughed up the tenner at the theater. Only shit thing bout the movie was no cameo appearences by the old skool team.

gotta wait til the end of the credits for it. alas, no original hanibal, he's dead. no mr. t either, not sure why.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 am

Just watched China, A Century of Revolution. Interesting, but I'm guessing they needed the blessing of the current regime, probably just to get to talk to people. Subtly biased. Highlighted Chiang Kai Shek's corrupt incompetence while glossing over Mao's and the Communist's ideological errors.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 am

kilroy wrote:Alas, no original hanibal, he's dead. no mr. t either, not sure why.

Hope this helps

From IMDB:

Mr. T was approached about possibly having a cameo appearance in the movie, but he turned it down, saying that there was no point for him to appear in the movie if he was not going to reprise his character from the TV Series. Although Mr. T did not have a cameo in the movie, Dwight Schultz and Dirk Benedict (Murdock and Peck from the TV series respectfully) do have cameos in the movie. Both are with the actors who take over their roles, and can be seen after the end credits are over. George Peppard (Hannibal in the series) does not appear, as he died in 1994. In the extended cut of the film available on Blu-ray and DVD, these cameos are reinserted into the actual movie, with some new footage of Dwight Schultz. His 'funny faces' bit isn't present though.

I loved the show when I was a kid and expected to hate the movie. Surprised myself by loving it!
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:47 pm

suwon fish wrote:
kilroy wrote:Alas, no original hanibal, he's dead. no mr. t either, not sure why.

George Peppard (Hannibal in the series) does not appear, as he died in 1994.

That would have just made it into a completely different type of film. Just wrong . Watchable but wrong.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Penta » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:08 am

Saw the King's Speech, which has at last come out here. Fabulous performance from Colin Firth, who was on screen almost the whole time. Helena Bonham Carter played a saccharine version of the Queen Mother (queen at the time), as was only to be expected, I suppose.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Rhah » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Been watching the tv series Black Books. Dylan Moran cracks me up. Wish it had gone on longer.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:43 am

Saw the Banksy movie, not bad at all. Thanks shivers.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby shivers » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Yer welcome. Glad you liked it.

I actually saw a couple films first-run in the theater recently. The King's Speech, and Black Swan. Both good, but not great films.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm

erwin wrote: a pretty good documentary about Afghanistan is the Danish movie "armadillo"

Amazing footage. Thanks for the tip.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby deselby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 am

Penta wrote:Saw the King's Speech, which has at last come out here. Fabulous performance from Colin Firth, who was on screen almost the whole time. Helena Bonham Carter played a saccharine version of the Queen Mother (queen at the time), as was only to be expected, I suppose.

Glad you liked it. I just saw The Fighter, I expected a good movie, it was much better than expected and had a lot more dimensions than just the boxing-cliche Rocky stuff. Interesting things about family, community, celebrity and notoriety. Christian Bale was amazing, but Wahlberg and the rest of the cast, which included some of the real-life participants, was great also. I predict a Best Picture nomination and an actor's nomination for Bale.

deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Am re-watching the HBO "Rome" series again. What great shows. Particularly the relationship between Vorenus and Pullo - truely depicts the types of friendships I've made in 24 years in the Army.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 pm

deselby wrote:
Penta wrote:Saw the King's Speech, which has at last come out here. Fabulous performance from Colin Firth, who was on screen almost the whole time. Helena Bonham Carter played a saccharine version of the Queen Mother (queen at the time), as was only to be expected, I suppose.

Glad you liked it. I just saw The Fighter, I expected a good movie, it was much better than expected and had a lot more dimensions than just the boxing-cliche Rocky stuff. Interesting things about family, community, celebrity and notoriety. Christian Bale was amazing, but Wahlberg and the rest of the cast, which included some of the real-life participants, was great also. I predict a Best Picture nomination and an actor's nomination for Bale.

Saw the trailer and it looked just like another boxing-cliché one. Glad to know it isn't. But I don't think I'll bother all the same. I did see and appreciate Rocky, but I really don't like boxing. :((
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Rhah » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Penta wrote:I did see and appreciate Rocky, but I really don't like boxing. :((

Have you ever seen Raging Bull?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081398/
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Oh, yes. That's the one I saw, with de Niro, not Rocky. Not much of a fan of Stallone.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby deselby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:21 pm

AztecDave wrote:Am re-watching the HBO "Rome" series again. What great shows. Particularly the relationship between Vorenus and Pullo - truely depicts the types of friendships I've made in 24 years in the Army.

Rome is great. It shows that national power has no relation to sexual morality.

Penta wrote:Oh, yes. That's the one I saw, with de Niro, not Rocky. Not much of a fan of Stallone.

Why not? He's a pretty good auteur, writes, directs and acts in his own movies. Rambo: First Blood is decent exploration of PTSD.

He's created two iconic characters: Rocky and Rambo.

deselby
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport