Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby vagabond » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Rhah wrote:Well I went and saw Conan, still in the depths of my wicked hangover. No problems I'm happy to report. I didn't yak all over theater.

vagabond wrote:With an action film like Conan, there is probably lots of quick cutting. Quick cuts don't lend itself well to 3d and letting your eyes adjust thus causing headaches.

I will say that I didn't really think that the 3D was needed. Didn't add too much to the overall film. The theater was only offering the 3D version.

I also liked it more than I thought I would. Short on plot long on bloodshed, perfect to shut your brain off, let the alcohol leech out of your system and enjoy.

It probably didn't but it adds a little bit to the studios' bottom line (which, after reports of box office this weekend, Lionsgate will need it).

I'll hopefully go see it sometime next week in 2D and look forward to some an unthinking bloody good time. It's Conan, not Shakespeare so hope it will be fun (like Planet of the Apes).
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby deselby » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:50 am

I saw The Guard. Brendan Gleeson was pretty funny. The only problem is that he looks almost as old as Fionualla Flanagan, who plays his mother. It turns out she is barely old enough to be his mother - she was born in 1941, Gleeson in 1955.

deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:30 am

deselby wrote:It turns out she is barely old enough to be his mother - she was born in 1941, Gleeson in 1955.]

In some parts of Ireland I'm sure she would've been.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Absurd underlying plot line but has a certain feel to it. If you haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes - which this is related to in genre - then you should watch that too. What I really want to see if Hobo with a shotgun but I'll save that guilty pleasure until I'm really bored.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpG0IJnb5g[/youtube]
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 pm

nowonmai wrote:Absurd underlying plot line but has a certain feel to it. If you haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes - which this is related to in genre - then you should watch that too. What I really want to see if Hobo with a shotgun but I'll save that guilty pleasure until I'm really bored.

the strip joint in the film is the place I usually end up in at 2 am on a saturday morning. It's the old axe on kingsland road in shoreditch. they stop showing boobies at 12am when some hipsters take over and start playing 50s-early 60s rockabilly. i like the place because it has a licence til early so I can carry on drinking but they still charge strip club prices for drinks...
I don't want to know who you use, as long as they're not complete muppets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpyHbcXTIs
JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby nowonmai » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:42 pm

They'd have to pay me to sit there and listen to 50s/60s rockabilly, pretentious twats.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 am

nowonmai wrote:They'd have to pay me to sit there and listen to 50s/60s rockabilly, pretentious twats.

You mean they aren't already? I don't understand why a man of the world (and of the people no less) isn't swimming in job offers to be cred raising human furniture.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:48 am

Ultra Swain wrote:
nowonmai wrote:They'd have to pay me to sit there and listen to 50s/60s rockabilly, pretentious twats.

You mean they aren't already? I don't understand why a man of the world (and of the people no less) isn't swimming in job offers to be cred raising human furniture.

Maybe I need a new agent.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby DrakeS » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 am

I think Renny might be onto something here but critics are saying back to the storyboard for more rethinking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Days_of_August
DrakeS
mach

Postby gnaruki » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:32 pm

http://war080808.com/

This is the Russian version of events. Admittedly I haven't seen either.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby el3so » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Humanoids from the deep.
08.08.08 has just one peer on PB, site streams okay so thanks.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby flipflop » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 am

nowonmai wrote:Absurd underlying plot line but has a certain feel to it. If you haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes - which this is related to in genre - then you should watch that too. What I really want to see if Hobo with a shotgun but I'll save that guilty pleasure until I'm really bored.

Dead Man's Shoes will be looked on in 50 years time as a definitive British film. It is already a classic. Shane Meadows has/will never make a better movie. It also has a tour de force performance by Paddy "Dance at my party!" Considine, and introduced a major talent in Toby Kebbell, whose went on to produce his own tour de force in the otherwise atrocious Rock N Rolla (below), almost (but not quite) rescuing the latest 'mockney' aberration by middle-class wannabe gangster Guy (see?!) Ritchie.

Thankyou

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 am

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby kilroy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:55 pm

awesome movie.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby DrakeS » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:32 am

Just saw 'The Debt' two days ago (its actually a re-make, small known fact but also a non-Hollywood book) and the movie was a summer saver. If my vouching is not sufficient, Ill add this, kinda makes you think you have seen it all before (schnoore-wheeze) until about 3/4's through when it flips your dials and pushes your buttons ...pre-installed. Or so you thought.

But great film imo, I do believe the nods will be in order for awards of distinction: for both Hellen Mirren and Jessica Chastain. My only real critique was I thought they would have added a little more flavoring of the paranoia-istic and secretive; and somewhat fearfulness with what surely would have been prevalent in East Germany at that time. Instead they focus a lot on the drama of the heroes and not what they are dealing with realities of day to day life , and what surrounds them. We are supposed to just guess about I suppose.

Mirren lends ‘Debt’ gravitas and class
Photo: , License: N/A

By Kiko Martinez

Published: September 7, 2011
Print Email Twitter Facebook MySpace Stumble Digg
More Destinations

A friend turns to me an hour into the stimulating espionage thriller The Debt during a scene when retired Mossad secret agent Rachel Singer (Helen Mirren) deplanes in the Ukraine only thinking of her intended target.

“It’s Jason Bourne’s grandma,” he tells me, as Mirren bobs and weaves like a spy 30 years too late for the start of the Cold War. I’d join in with a couple of old-lady jokes if I wasn’t so convinced Mirren could probably Krav Maga my ass into couscous.

All teasing aside, Mirren proves she is one tough homemade cookie as she continues to explore more vivacious supporting characters. It was only a year ago in the action comedy Red when she showed us how trigger-happy she could be as a contract killer behind a semiautomatic. In The Debt, which is based on the 2007 Israeli film Ha-Hov, Mirren loses the smirk and gets serious when a dark secret from her paramilitary past is dug up after the death of a colleague.

The film shifts back in time to a young Rachel (Jessica Chastain) and her male cohorts (Sam Worthington and Marton Csokas) hunting down a merciless Nazi monster (Jesper Christensen) in East Berlin in 1965, and director John Madden (Shakespeare in Love) allows the leisurely-paced narrative to unfold naturally when their mission goes awry.

Chastin carries most of the film’s emotional weight, even though a melodramatic love triangle doesn’t do the script any favors. Her interaction with Christensen in their handful of unnerving encounters sets the tone, which is elevated by some dank-looking cinematography and grim location choices, especially in the flashbacks.

Unpredictable throughout, The Debt may harp on the fine line between fact and fiction a bit much, but with Mirren on board, there’s little chance the film isn’t going to reach its final destination without some style, class, and riveting insight.

The Debt

Dir. John Madden; writ. Matthew Vaughn, Jane Goldman, and Peter Straughan; feat. Helen Mirren, Jessica Chastain, Marton Csokas, Sam Worthington, Tom Wilkinson, Ciarán Hinds, Jesper Christensen (R)

Trailers and shit, its the schnitzest thing

http://www.focusfeatures.com/the_debt/
DrakeS
mach

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport