Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby flipflop » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 am

Awesome bit of animation, not for hippies

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZdHVadmdrc[/youtube]

5 out of 5

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

flipflop wrote:Awesome bit of animation, not for hippies

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZdHVadmdrc[/youtube]

5 out of 5

Cheers

Wow, pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 am

Just saw two good flicks. One was a German, filmed-on-location, 1972 drama about the Spanish conquest of the Amazonas. Actually, a failed expedition into the Amazonas, with artsy placement of squirrel monkeys, called "Aguirre: Wrath of God." Werner Herzog, if that means anything to you. Probably wouldn't appeal to everyone: German dreariness, death, and incest, plus Spanish costumes and Inca pan flutes, played out to their tragic, semi-hallucinogenic end on the humid Peruvian frontier, but it definitely seemed like a BFC-worthy movie. Here are some clips set to appropriately bleak music:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DFb5_k7awk[/youtube]

The other one was the Hunger Games and OMFG it was awesome! Even if you don't like the big, Hollywood, Cameronesque blockbusters, consider seeing this one, especially if you're a female BFCer or scifi fan. It's Dancing With the Stars meets The Most Dangerous Game meets 1984 meets the Minotaur Myth. GREAT female protaganist(s), passes the Bechdel test with flying colors, plus all the action and suspense you'd get from any violence-driven, male-led thriller you might luck into on a cheap Mexican long-distance bus. Very well done, good acting, relevant political commentary about neocolonialism/neoimperialism, and thankfully not much video-gamey CGI. The "bad" guys are likable and three-dimensional, and apparently inspired by Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSyTkxfjCeU[/youtube]

My sister read the books and loved the movie, but lamented its (understandable) lack of secondary character development. I thought the film delivered on every level. If you've ever lived in a third-world country with massive quantities of natural resources, you'll especially appreciate the attention to detail in the all-too-short scenes of the impoverished "outlying districts" where our heroes hail from. Like, when people are at the barren little market buying little paper packets of old buttons, clearly cut off clothes that had worn away. Anyway, obviously if you can't bear mainstream movies or chick flicks, it probably isn't for you, but once again, thought it particularly appropriate for the BFC crowd.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby rdkll » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:18 am

friendlyskies wrote: Werner Herzog, if that means anything to you. P

if you liked Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo is even better

also incl Herzog & Kinski
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 am

I've got to admit, I was surprised that a movie about a Spanish colonial expedition into the Amazon passed the Bechdel test - old movies often do, but the late 1960s were when female characters stopped interacting with each other in most mainstream US movies. Everyone kept telling me that Werner Herzog was brilliant etc, but that's what struck me.

To be honest, I find artsy cinematography interesting, but it sometimes distracts me from the movie because I'm trying to figure out what it means. Like the pan flutes - it's like, "Ok, what does this symbolize." And by the time you've worked up a list of possible meanings, you've missed some of the film. I did like the squirrel monkeys and the escaping horse, super creepy.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby vagabond » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Aguirre was pretty awesome and I second the Fitzcarraldo advice.

I started to dislike Hunger Games more and more I thought about it after seeing it. The stakes didn't feel as high for setting children against each other in a tournament to the death, the bad guys didn't actually doing thing bad, all the characters seemed rather flat, and there wasn't much of a reason to root for the main chick as you knew that she was going to survive to be in the next 2-3 movies. It's a decent movie for what it is but nothing mind-blowing.

In a very different universe, there's Friends with Kids. It basically takes the cast of Bridesmaids and mixes up the relationships but is a very solid ensemble comedy, much more talky wit comedy with some depth than raunchy comedy.

I've been watching more tv lately than heading out to the movies and have finally caught up on some good shows like Alphas (which friendly you might like as a sf fan), The Shield, and Eastbound and Down.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Werner Herzog was brilliant
Dunno about that but I found his documentary "little Dieter needs to fly" to be quite enjoyable.

Bechtel is famous, never heard about a Bechdel test until this thread. Guess I don't watch the right movies for it to apply.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby vagabond » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:26 pm

el3so wrote:
Dunno about that but I found his documentary "little Dieter needs to fly" to be quite enjoyable.

Bechtel is famous, never heard about a Bechdel test until this thread. Guess I don't watch the right movies for it to apply.

http://bechdeltest.com/

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:14 am

Get Carter, the original.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:44 am

HockeyGuy wrote:Get Carter, the original.

This. And, for great double feature, follow w/ The Long Good Friday.

Feel bad that I never explored the Brit crime films the came before the Lock, Stocks and Layer Cakes. The popularity of Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren make a bit more sense now.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:00 pm

vagabond wrote:
HockeyGuy wrote:Get Carter, the original.

This. And, for great double feature, follow w/ The Long Good Friday.

Feel bad that I never explored the Brit crime films the came before the Lock, Stocks and Layer Cakes. The popularity of Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren make a bit more sense now.

That looks pretty cool...can't go wrong with those two, which explains why Bob was in Unleashed. British gangster flicks are so different from Italian and American stock and I have my suspicions as to why they are...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Yorik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm

friendlyskies wrote:The other one was the Hunger Games and OMFG it was awesome! Even if you don't like the big, Hollywood, Cameronesque blockbusters, consider seeing this one, especially if you're a female BFCer or scifi fan. It's Dancing With the Stars meets The Most Dangerous Game meets 1984 meets the Minotaur Myth. GREAT female protaganist(s), passes the Bechdel test with flying colors, plus all the action and suspense you'd get from any violence-driven, male-led thriller you might luck into on a cheap Mexican long-distance bus. Very well done, good acting, relevant political commentary about neocolonialism/neoimperialism, and thankfully not much video-gamey CGI. The "bad" guys are likable and three-dimensional, and apparently inspired by Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka.

Yes, the film is quite good. I had watched before I finished the first book. Although the scenario leaves much to be desired, cuz there are a lot of details that are unnatural and different from what we can read in the book. But the the special effects, action and , of course, the cast were absolutely fascinating! I liked Lawrence, Hutcherson very much. I even didn`t know they existed, but now... I hope to see the second and the third films.
Yorik
mach

Postby Royal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 pm

friendlyskies wrote:inspired by Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka.

I suppose most 8 to 13 years olds like it.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Yorik wrote:....coin! coin! coin!

Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re:

Postby shivers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 pm

el3so wrote:

Have not yet seen Little Dieter Needs to Fly, but it's on my list. Encounters at the End of the World is another of Herzog's great documentaries. I think you would really dig it, FS. It so visually stunning in the theater, but I'm not sure it would translate well in the living room.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport