Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Postby el3so » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:17 am

shivers wrote:it's on my list.
I guess the documentary is about redemption.

On a lighter note, just finished downloading the classic Disney stuff.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby vagabond » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Kurt wrote:
Yorik wrote:....coin! coin! coin!

No shit.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Them silver dollars were spent crossing the Styx.

My helpful thoughts on redemption for shivers.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 am

Only time for school related films. Not much out these days worth seeing anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZriwC1-2270[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3uo8ALFqaQ[/youtube]
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby flipflop » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 am

They Live*

A film that should never work, wonky acting, Rowdy Roddy Piper in the lead role FFS, and cheap-arsed props. But it gets 9 out of ten for the sunglass scene ("OBEY") which is genuinely creepy and disturbing, and the alley punch up with the big black dude off of Platoon

A classic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAwdixodjw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MVMbm6c0k[/youtube]

*what's it like on the other side Yori(c)k ?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby HockeyGuy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:17 am

One of the best lines from a movie : I'm here to kick some ass and chew some bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

I still think Escape from New York is the ultimate Carpenter film...and the Thing, next.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:10 am

HockeyGuy wrote:I still think Escape from New York is the ultimate Carpenter film...and the Thing, next.

"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 am

snake plissken is the ultimate anti-hero.

my fave piper quote is ref his wrasslin': "just when they think they have all the answers, i change the questions." he said in response to whether is opponents have figured out how to beat him. hahahahahaha.

ps: didn''t realize he is a canuck. not that it matters, eh.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:31 am

Troll Hunter - Very Cool.

Ip Man - wayyy hokey, but I really liked it (I wouldn't admit to watching Ip Man 2, but if I did, I would say that it is equally as hokey, but that I liked it, too).

Viva Riva - Sucked

Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo (Swedish w Ingles subtitles) - Between Very Cool and Awesome.

13 Assassins - Blood, guts, and gore, and veins in yer teeth. Has a passable plot. Along with a year's supply of flying body parts.

Five Minutes of Heaven - Decent, but glacially-paced at times. If you don't like James Nesbitt, then don't bother.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:54 pm

just watched "Drive" on DVD. A good movie but certainly not great like all the critics were raving about. Ryan what's his face will never be a top notch star. 2d tier max.

ps: the man with no name has already been played.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Some great music, great film work of the city of Naples and fun...

"O Sole Mio" and Enrico Caruso aren't simply Italian. They're Neapolitan, the product of a city whose music is worldly, carnal and more closely linked to Andalucia than to Rome or Milan.

Even devotees who know all that are likely to learn a few things from Passione, John Turturro's cinematic rhapsody to the music of the city he, with affable pretentiousness, calls "Napoli." But the information doesn't come from cultural historians and ethnomusicologists.

Wandering into the frame to comment, the Sicilian-American actor notes that many a Neapolitan song was originally part of a sceneggiata, a pre-MTV musical mini-narrative. He also argues that the old-country ballads people today consider "sentimental" are actually "drenched in contradiction and irony."

That's a big chunk of the film's analysis right there. The director introduces some other talking heads and makes a few additional remarks. But when mouths open in Passione, it's usually to sing (or at least lip sync). And Turturro spends almost as much time on-screen dancing as talking. (He's at the end of the conga line during "Caravan Petrol," a playful number about black gold.)

Viewers who require more context may be frustrated, but the movie is always lively, and its loose approach to history suits its impressionistic style. If the filmmaker blurs together the city's many "invasions" — a list on which he includes the Yanks' 1943 arrival — it's to depict Naples as an ever-bubbling melting pot.

Everyone's part of the broth, from the ancient Greeks to the African-American GI father of local saxophonist James Senese, who offers a Latin-jazz reading of the movie's title tune. An eclectic version of "Pistol Packin' Mama," featuring a rare English lyric, invokes the U.S. presence with rapped lyrics and ragtime piano but adds Euro-cafe accordion and Arabic tambourines.
Passione hails Naples as a cultural playground for artists like M'Barka Ben Taleb, a Tunisian singer who combines Arab and Neapolitan influences.
Enlarge Beta Cinema

Passione hails Naples as a cultural playground for artists like M'Barka Ben Taleb, a Tunisian singer who combines Arab and Neapolitan influences.

Some of the songs are clearly from the past, identified as historical by black-and-white photographs and archival footage. These draw on Italian opera and Spanish flamenco, as well as the cabaret style identified with Weimar Germany and Brecht-Weill musicals. Other material flaunts its modernity with borrowings from techno, reggae, hip-hop and Franco-Algerian rai. During one up-to-date number, women in tight jeans gyrate with a vigor that would have been risque even for such mid-20th century stars as Angela Luce, who titillated by singing of a prostitute's life.

Most of the performers are veterans, not Neapolitan teeny-popsters, and the big beat doesn't always indicate a contemporary twist on tradition. One thumping number is part of ritual — celebrating the city's patron, St. Gennaro — that dates to the 13th century.

The director's selection of songs and styles may be more personal than representative, but it covers a lot of territory and makes for an exuberant, diverse revue. For maximum atmosphere, Turturro shot in some of the most dilapidated parts of town, at times evoking Gomorrah, the 2008 gangster film set in a less melodious Naples. But the menace here is not the gangster seeking protection money, but the rogue who'll seduce your true love should you ever happen to look the other way.

No wonder one Neapolitan singer broods, "Endless are the wounds of love."
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby nowonmai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:06 am

svizzerams wrote:Some great music, great film work of the city of Naples and fun...

"O Sole Mio" and Enrico Caruso aren't simply Italian. They're Neapolitan, the product of a city whose music is worldly, carnal and more closely linked to Andalucia than to Rome or Milan.

Even devotees who know all that are likely to learn a few things from Passione, John Turturro's cinematic rhapsody to the music of the city he, with affable pretentiousness, calls "Napoli." But the information doesn't come from cultural historians and ethnomusicologists.

Wandering into the frame to comment, the Sicilian-American actor notes that many a Neapolitan song was originally part of a sceneggiata, a pre-MTV musical mini-narrative. He also argues that the old-country ballads people today consider "sentimental" are actually "drenched in contradiction and irony."

That's a big chunk of the film's analysis right there. The director introduces some other talking heads and makes a few additional remarks. But when mouths open in Passione, it's usually to sing (or at least lip sync). And Turturro spends almost as much time on-screen dancing as talking. (He's at the end of the conga line during "Caravan Petrol," a playful number about black gold.)

Viewers who require more context may be frustrated, but the movie is always lively, and its loose approach to history suits its impressionistic style. If the filmmaker blurs together the city's many "invasions" — a list on which he includes the Yanks' 1943 arrival — it's to depict Naples as an ever-bubbling melting pot.

Everyone's part of the broth, from the ancient Greeks to the African-American GI father of local saxophonist James Senese, who offers a Latin-jazz reading of the movie's title tune. An eclectic version of "Pistol Packin' Mama," featuring a rare English lyric, invokes the U.S. presence with rapped lyrics and ragtime piano but adds Euro-cafe accordion and Arabic tambourines.
Enlarge Beta Cinema

Some of the songs are clearly from the past, identified as historical by black-and-white photographs and archival footage. These draw on Italian opera and Spanish flamenco, as well as the cabaret style identified with Weimar Germany and Brecht-Weill musicals. Other material flaunts its modernity with borrowings from techno, reggae, hip-hop and Franco-Algerian rai. During one up-to-date number, women in tight jeans gyrate with a vigor that would have been risque even for such mid-20th century stars as Angela Luce, who titillated by singing of a prostitute's life.

Most of the performers are veterans, not Neapolitan teeny-popsters, and the big beat doesn't always indicate a contemporary twist on tradition. One thumping number is part of ritual — celebrating the city's patron, St. Gennaro — that dates to the 13th century.

The director's selection of songs and styles may be more personal than representative, but it covers a lot of territory and makes for an exuberant, diverse revue. For maximum atmosphere, Turturro shot in some of the most dilapidated parts of town, at times evoking Gomorrah, the 2008 gangster film set in a less melodious Naples. But the menace here is not the gangster seeking protection money, but the rogue who'll seduce your true love should you ever happen to look the other way.

No wonder one Neapolitan singer broods, "Endless are the wounds of love."

You must be mistaken, this isn't http://www.momfaves.com
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:14 pm

flipflop wrote:They Live*

he

The last time i watched that was with a strip.........i mean fine young lady!!!
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat May 12, 2012 5:46 am

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3329270041/

It was recommended I see this. It looks like a cross between Game of Death and New Jack Hustler...
Anyone see it?
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed May 23, 2012 2:03 am

HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport