I got a book in the mail today

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

I got a book in the mail today

Postby redharen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:02 am

I've mentioned this before, but I have always liked the story of the race to be the first person to sail around the world solo and nonstop. Robin Knox-Johnston did it in 1967, beating out a bunch of the world's best sailors, including Bernard Moitessier, who quit the race at the end and decided to just keep going around the world till he got to Tahiti. Moitessier's book, The Long Way, is probably the most famous piece of writing to come out of that race, but my favorite is the book Knox-Johnston wrote, called A World Of My Own.

Last week I finally ordered a copy from Amazon and it arrived in the mail today. I paid something like $1.90 for the 1969 first edition. And when I opened it up, I found that it was autographed by Knox-Johnston on the title page. Not worth anything money-wise, but to me it's pretty cool.
redharen
small ax

Re: I got a book in the mail today

Postby vagabond » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:23 am

redharen wrote:I've mentioned this before, but I have always liked the story of the race to be the first person to sail around the world solo and nonstop. Robin Knox-Johnston did it in 1967, beating out a bunch of the world's best sailors, including Bernard Moitessier, who quit the race at the end and decided to just keep going around the world till he got to Tahiti. Moitessier's book, The Long Way, is probably the most famous piece of writing to come out of that race, but my favorite is the book Knox-Johnston wrote, called A World Of My Own.

Last week I finally ordered a copy from Amazon and it arrived in the mail today. I paid something like $1.90 for the 1969 first edition. And when I opened it up, I found that it was autographed by Knox-Johnston on the title page. Not worth anything money-wise, but to me it's pretty cool.

Nice surprise!
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: I got a book in the mail today

Postby Rhah » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:26 am

That's pretty badass. I had a similar thing happen. My aunt got me a copy of Col. Charles Askins autobiography, Unrepentant Sinner, for christmas one year. From Amazon or ebay, I can't remember which. On the inside it was signed: To Mac, Keep your powder dry old stud! Col. Charles Askins San Antonio 10 June 1988.

-Rhah
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport