The latest Sherlock

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

The latest Sherlock

Postby deselby » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:58 am

I thought it was pretty good, interesting contemporary Afghanistan service PTSD issue for Dr. Watson, RAMC, Ret.

I haven't seen the Robert Downey movie, never liked the Jeremy Brett ones, and loved the Basil Rathbone movies.

And the books themselves.

deselby
BFCus Regularus

Re: The latest Sherlock

Postby Rhah » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:11 pm

They have it ondemand here so I'll probably check it out today or tomorrow. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. Some Holmes purists despised the Downey Jr movie but I liked it. Very entertaining. Question though: How could you not like the Jeremy Brett series? It is so true to the original Conan Doyle stories. My favorite portrayal of Holmes was definitely Brett (RIP)
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby deselby » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:16 am

Rhah wrote:They have it ondemand here so I'll probably check it out today or tomorrow. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. Some Holmes purists despised the Downey Jr movie but I liked it. Very entertaining. Question though: How could you not like the Jeremy Brett series? It is so true to the original Conan Doyle stories. My favorite portrayal of Holmes was definitely Brett (RIP)

I don't know, I just thought Brett's were overwraught. Last week, I heard a review that said it was "campy" which is kind of what I felt. I also saw all of the Basil Rathbone movies and had an attachment to them.
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Yeahsure » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 am

Loved it. It plays on PBS here and I try not to miss it.
Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:27 am

Good news if you like it. They have just announced a second series over here.

There are lots of nice touches in it , the Afghanistan connection as mentioned above, but I also like the way they use cabs to go everywhere much as Victorian Holmes and Watson would have used the Hansom cabs. And the use of text messaging as the modern version of the telegram so often received by Holmes. And a tipping of the hat to Holmes' "Baker street Irregulars" homeless street dwellers instead of the Victorian street urchins. Cleverly done all in al,l by subtely understating the parallels and juxtapositioning of classic and modern

If you haven't seen the last episode yet I'll just say, you'll love Moriarty, when he reveals himself to Holmes.

I sussed out who he was the second he came on screen.

Great stuff.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:20 am

I love the Jeremy Brett ones. (I am watching The Crooked Man now as I type this)

I like the new ones too. I always judge Holmes on how they do Watson and they did a good job on this one. Only the actor has to be less slack jawed and baffled in appearance but I love the take on PTSD.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport