Top Gear USA

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Top Gear USA

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:37 am

ktrout wrote:This thing has the most awesome exhaust sound: Ford Velociraptor: My little Mule, Pepe....

The Velocorapor challenge was damn cool.

The paintball thing could have been cool...but it just wasn't.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:33 am

Kurt wrote:The Velocorapor challenge was damn cool.

I'm kind of a Ford guy, so I think that thing is awesome.
The paintball thing could have been cool...but it just wasn't.

Yeah, they blew it. But that guy from Jersey is starting to grow on me.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:44 am

We were always Ford as well for some reason. Not strict, but always leaning the Ford way (never Japanese..German was okay if it was a Beetle and your second car). That truck would be totally useless for me but I was so impressed with it anyway. The cost to performance ratio is quite good while being as American as can be.

The paintball thing though..the Mook hit the poofter redneck a kajillion times with the paintballs but the poofter redneck won because he moved across an invisible line.

They should have had them drive through paintball ambushes set up by third parties and see who got through the fastest ...or something.

But hey...Four episodes and I am still watching it. I expected to hate the first one and then watch the second just to make sure I hated it, but as soon as they get their own voices and style I think it is going to be pretty good.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tommy Jefferson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Top Gear USA is boring and lame.

Nothing wrong with copying Top Gear UK challenges, running gags, and characters. In fact, they would have been better off doing so.

Adam Ferrera works well as a poor-man's Adam Carolla. He is the only presenter with any potential.

The contrast of New York guy to California guy to Southern guy would work if they actually had them.

Tanner Foust may be a legit race driver, but he has as much screen presence as a bag of hammers. He is painfully dull. He looks like he would rather be somewhere else.

Is Rutlege Wood supposed to be the "Southern Guy"? He's a fat, metrosexual hipster tard. He would be appropriate for hosting a video game show on a shopping channel. He completely ruins whatever potential TGUSA had.

I found myself hoping Ferrera would shove him to the ground and kick him repeatedly in the mouth. A character like a young Ted Nugent or southern Jesse James would have been so much better in Wood's position.

I predict the show will be canceled before they make the changes that would improve it.
Tommy Jefferson

Postby ktrout » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Word!
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:53 am

I watched the UK show last night and it is much better than the US version. I actually like the US version and I think it is improving but I suspect it is not going to last long enough for them to find their niche.

However I am glad it ditched Carolla. For reasons I cannot explain that guy always annoyed me. Rutledge Wood reminds me of lots of guys from North Carolina I know..They like man stuff but act slightly effeminate..but perhaps that is just the type that moves away from NC.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:44 am

Tommy, pretty good assessment based on the episodes I have seen.

The part I love so much about the real Top Gear is the fact that it is more than just a car show. It's thoughtful, intelligent, insightful, and very funny. Clarkson, Hammond, and May have excellent chemistry. I realize it takes time to develop some of this, but the US show is too scripted and can't get past that barrier of just being a car show. I would have more hope if the hosts had some presence. It seems like they made the mistake of sticking talking heads together without any real thought of if they would be entertaining. There have to be some car people with personality. Faust is the only one to me who seems to really be a gearhead, but as you said he is too deadpan. Hell, Jay Leno might even be an upgrade.

The concept has great potential for the US, but it has to be adapted properly. Most Americans are probably scared off by thoughts like "What the hell is a Citroen? How are they able to trade cars for squid? Why is the steering wheel over there?"

There have been some excellent challenges which is by far the strength of the show. There is a chance that somebody thought the formula for converting it for the US would be as simple as performing some ridiculous stunt while hip but still fairly hetero dudes stand around high-fiving and shouting "THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!". They should have just gone the smoking hot girl that can talk about cars route.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport