Remember when MTV was weird

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Remember when MTV was weird

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 am

Back in high school my best friend had cable and my family did not so I would drop by his house on the way to school and we would watch MTV for a bit and then proceed onwards.

One time I remember they played this Yes video called "Leave It" for every variation ever made. I seem to recall it lasted for days. Just the same Yes song played over and over again.

Another one was a contest to be Bruce Springsteen's Roadie. When you won you had to do work for free but got a Jacket and got to meet The Boss. We determined that winning this contest sucked and promptly entered one another in it.

Anyone remember any others?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Remember when MTV was weird

Postby phasmoid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Randy of the Redwoods.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
phasmoid
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 am

weird? hell, i remember when MTV played music.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Thu May 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Apparently I'm too young to have seen the real weird shit. My earliest memory was watching beavis & butthead with my mormon babysitter, it aired at 5ish before the TIpper Gore set flipped out pushing it's timeslot to late night. I remember watching some contest for a band to visit a fan, I think metallica, they ended up drinking beer and and playing horse in the winner's driveway. The peak of my MTV viewing was 98-99' which was the likes of Sifl & Ollie, Jim Breuer, Jesse Camp, and Tom Green. Out of that line-up only Sifl & Ollie was weird. I glanced at MTV's programming a few months ago which immediately reminded me why I stopped watching years ago. Public access remains the best source for weird television in my neck of the woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Hn11aPZyM
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu May 05, 2011 9:33 pm

My only memory of MTV is of the Pet Shop Boys so that would be late eighties. We have a sister station called MuchMusic which generally played more British stuff at that time.

A transformative figure named Sukyin Lee circa 1989 changed the program from goofy white guys trying to look cool so they could get laid ( I don't think they ever did) to a more multidimensional alternative type show. One of the white guys said on air that she had had another brain fart and the politically correct police stormed in to..."correct" things. It started off well. This crazy all-sexual Chinese Canadian avant-garde artiste who had a penchant for much older bi-sexual men. To her credit I don't think she sold out....and she was fairly non-political.

Yeah,I'd fuck her.
Sri Lanky

Postby Devlin » Sat May 07, 2011 4:09 pm

When they had Mojo Nixon doing PSA's for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDez4pdBYCk
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lunatock » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Right about the end for Mtv as we knew it were the Denis Leary monologues they played, sometime in the early 1990's. Then a short Hip Hop domination of all the videos, then barely any music videos at all.
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby vagabond » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:My only memory of MTV is of the Pet Shop Boys so that would be late eighties. We have a sister station called MuchMusic which generally played more British stuff at that time.

A transformative figure named Sukyin Lee circa 1989 changed the program from goofy white guys trying to look cool so they could get laid ( I don't think they ever did) to a more multidimensional alternative type show. One of the white guys said on air that she had had another brain fart and the politically correct police stormed in to..."correct" things. It started off well. This crazy all-sexual Chinese Canadian avant-garde artiste who had a penchant for much older bi-sexual men. To her credit I don't think she sold out....and she was fairly non-political.

Yeah,I'd fuck her.

I think you'd be interested in a little movie called "Shortbus" then.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:46 pm

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/mbly1j ... ed-trailer

That's what I'm talkin' about...undlovingit.
Sri Lanky

Postby Woodsman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:44 pm

Wow not sure how I missed this thread back in April, but I never remember when MTV was weird.

I *DO* remember however when it was cool.

Downtown Julie Brown
Head banger's ball.
Van Halen videos and all the other cool 80s stuff before it turned into Compton central rap party and then into real world reality t.v. b.s.

Man how I miss the 80s.

big money
big hair
big fun.

Eat the rich.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport