The eXile: WTF?

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

The eXile: WTF?

Postby Fenrisco » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I happened to check out the eXile (OK, "Exiled Online") site the other day based on a War Nerd link someone posted. What the fuck happened to them? Last time I checked they were an awesome, edgy Russian expat tabloid railing against censorship and oppression, telling us shit we didn't know, but they seem to have given that up in favor of becoming the militant wing of the Huffington Post.

Half of it's TV and movie-based, the other half dull-as-ditchwater leftie tub-thumping. I don't mind a bit of unwelcome politics, I've been reading Doonesbury for a quarter of a century, but this stuff's just plain shite. One expects better from them.

I know they fled Mother Russia a few years ago, so it's fair enough if they can't cover their traditional stomping ground but it's a bit disappointing to see all this cut-and-paste crap on there. Or is that somehow the point? It kinda seems like they got gently kicked out of Russia and spent the last couple years in the US just sitting in a motel eating Cheetos and watching infomercials.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Re: The eXile: WTF?

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Fenrisco wrote: I don't mind a bit of unwelcome politics, I've been reading Doonesbury for a quarter of a century

I swear I'm using that line at the next party I attend.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby vagabond » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 am

Fenrisco wrote:I happened to check out the eXile (OK, "Exiled Online") site the other day based on a War Nerd link someone posted. What the fuck happened to them? Last time I checked they were an awesome, edgy Russian expat tabloid railing against censorship and oppression, telling us shit we didn't know, but they seem to have given that up in favor of becoming the militant wing of the Huffington Post.

Half of it's TV and movie-based, the other half dull-as-ditchwater leftie tub-thumping. I don't mind a bit of unwelcome politics, I've been reading Doonesbury for a quarter of a century, but this stuff's just plain shite. One expects better from them.

I know they fled Mother Russia a few years ago, so it's fair enough if they can't cover their traditional stomping ground but it's a bit disappointing to see all this cut-and-paste crap on there. Or is that somehow the point? It kinda seems like they got gently kicked out of Russia and spent the last couple years in the US just sitting in a motel eating Cheetos and watching infomercials.

Yeah, I stopped reading a while back after it got all ranty. Some of the stories from Mexico or Victorville were interesting but it was too few and far between. I think getting kicked out of Russia screwed up things big time for them but was probably safer to move out then face up to Putin's or mafiya gangsters and end up like a Klebnikov or Politkovskaya. Supposedly, Ames is somewhere in C. America while working on this.

Matt Taibbi's been doing pretty well over at Rolling Stone.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 am

Pretty sure some of the contributors to the old exile lurked/posted here. Haven't checked out their new sh!t in a long time. Sorry dudes.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby gnaruki » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 pm

I still pop in there every so often for Dolan's work. A few months ago they were pushing for donations and accepting intern requests, must have lost the budget for filipino peons.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby deselby » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:03 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Fenrisco wrote: I don't mind a bit of unwelcome politics, I've been reading Doonesbury for a quarter of a century

I swear I'm using that line at the next party I attend.

Doonesbury's (Gary Trudeau) been doing some good stuff for veterans.

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20 ... ry_trudeau
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Doonesbury is almost as boring as arranging car insurance.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport