The Best Westerns

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: The Best Westerns

Postby Caliban » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 am

Im not certain but its possibly "My name is nobody". Another Sergio Leone spag western with music by Ennio Morricone. Starred Henry Fonda and Terence Hill

Fonda is a gunfighter who just wants to retire but Hill is an up and coming gun fighter who idolises him and wants him to come back for a final blaze of glory against a rediculously massive criminal gang called the wild bunch.

Ring any bells?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHouWALb ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbgfC8wW ... re=related
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:26 pm

I do recall. Quite entertaining, but a little campy for Leone.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Cheers, but that's altogether too jolly - it was something much more spaghetti-noire... I will keep trawling YouTube. If it wasn't Morricone it was a hell of an imitator.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Fenrisco wrote:Cheers, but that's altogether too jolly - it was something much more spaghetti-noire... I will keep trawling YouTube. If it wasn't Morricone it was a hell of an imitator.

I thought Ry Cooder did something special with Last man standing which was a remake of Fistful of dollars/Yojimbo:
Give it a minute or so...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY_1zq53 ... re=related
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Good point. Last Man Standing was stellar but it seems under-appreciated by most. A remake of Yojimbo/FoD with Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken, going unnoticed? Sounds crazy. But I guess the '20s wasn't the sexiest decade of the last couple centuries, generally speaking, unless you have a real strong thing for hats, belts, braces and root vegetables.

Still no luck on the mystery Morricone theme, despite an evening trawling through his stuff with a tropical storm lashing outside - rather enjoyable despite the lack of luck. Maybe I will record myself whistling it and post it here.

Oh yeah, and +1 on Death Hunt. Not a movie you'll watch repeatedly but damned memorable when you do. Notable for both Bronson's explicit and, by extension, Marvin's implicit infracaninophilia.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 pm

I think last man standing works well because it is set close to the time and in the style of the story, Red Harvest by Dasheil Hammett,although in actual fact the film and a fist full of dollars, are adapted remakes of Yojimbo, which Kurosawi said was based on another Hammett book that is in a similar vane to red harvest. I can't recall the name of it though ! The glass something !!!!
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Fascinating. I did not know that...

Akira Kurosawa scholar David Desser and critic Manny Farber, among others, state categorically that Red Harvest was the inspiration for Kurosawa's film Yojimbo; however, other scholars, such as Donald Richie, believe the similarities are coincidental.[3] Kurosawa himself stated that a major source for the plot was the film noir classic The Glass Key (1942), an adaption of Hammett's 1931 novel of the same name. In Red Harvest, The Glass Key, and Yojimbo, corrupt officials and businessmen are seen to stand behind and profit from the rule of gangsters. A number of films have been specifically based on Yojimbo, including Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars and Walter Hill's Last Man Standing.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Fenrisco wrote:Good point. Last Man Standing was stellar but it seems under-appreciated by most.

I never really understood why people trash that flick.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am

HockeyGuy wrote:Fascinating. I did not know that...

Akira Kurosawa scholar David Desser and critic Manny Farber, among others, state categorically that Red Harvest was the inspiration for Kurosawa's film Yojimbo; however, other scholars, such as Donald Richie, believe the similarities are coincidental.[3] Kurosawa himself stated that a major source for the plot was the film noir classic The Glass Key (1942), an adaption of Hammett's 1931 novel of the same name. In Red Harvest, The Glass Key, and Yojimbo, corrupt officials and businessmen are seen to stand behind and profit from the rule of gangsters. A number of films have been specifically based on Yojimbo, including Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars and Walter Hill's Last Man Standing.

The glass key ! Thank you,that save an afternoon digging through boxes of old paperbacks

Fenrisco wrote:
Oh yeah, and +1 on Death Hunt. Not a movie you'll watch repeatedly but damned memorable when you do. Notable for both Bronson's explicit and, by extension, Marvin's implicit infracaninophilia.

Support for the underdog. Indeed. The whole principle of the film. I think thats why I like it. I'd have shot the trapper for being cruel to the dog too !!
Last edited by Caliban on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:48 am

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Caliban » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 am

Ultra Swain wrote:Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Good, nay excellent call.

Another modern western I like is Lone star. Not a successful film when it came out in the nineties, but I liked it if only for the line "There's no straight line between good and bad"
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 am

Caliban wrote:

Another modern western I like is Lone star. Not a successful film when it came out in the nineties, but I liked it if only for the line "There's no straight line between good and bad"

Lone Star is a brilliant little film. I also kind of liked Dead Man from the same era, but not as good. Great Neil Young soundtrack though.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby deselby » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Caliban wrote:

I love Lone Star. Elizabeth Pena was so hot in that movie.
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Oh indeed she was. I just watched it again tonight as a result of this discussion had come up. It is a truly excellent and understated film.

I am now about to watch Two mules for sister sarah.
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Rhah » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Speaking of Walter Hill and Charles Bronson, how bout Hard Times. Charles Bronson is a depression era bare knuckle boxer. James Coburn plays his manager.
Also with, always hot, Jill Ireland
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport