have you seen "Team America"

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

have you seen "Team America"

Postby Fern » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:21 am

Curious if anyone has seen Team America. What do you think? I knew the language was going to be foul mouthed but it was really pushing the R rating. Some funny scenes especially when Michael moore blows hiimself up and KIM Chong-il sings a solo.
Fern
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:27 am

A guy I know in another forum said this about it...
Borfase wrote:Just got back from the sneak preview. It was pretty funny. Everyone I was with hated it with a passion. Big time. Alot. They just don't think action movie cliches, puppet sex, and lots of profanity are funny I guess.

There are a couple bits that don't really work in it, but overall, I thought it was quite funny. The way the middle easters talk is hilarious. They just go "durka durka durka jiham mohammad durka." I couldn't help but crack up whenever one of them called. High profile celebrities are also made fun of, and all die in very gory/hilarious ways. I'd reccomend it, I guess.
There's one bit that completely falls flat on its face, it was painful to watch. It was a little musical number with Kim Jong Il. Other than that I thought the movie was pretty solid.

And another said this...
YST wrote:Saw this movie yesterday. It has a lot of funny moments, but I thought much of the premise fell flat. Almost completely DESPITE rather than thanks to the premise, the story and the ideas behind it, the funny parts happened. They had almost nothing to do with what the movie was. They were just the product of Stone's and Parker's cleverness. I don't think the movie could make up its mind whether it was a serious political diatribe or just slapstick gross-out nonsense, and most of the film fell somewhere in between for me, amounting ultimately to nothing. Nothing with a bunch of funny moments somewhere in between.

If Parker and Stone are going into this meaning to produce something meaninglessly stupidly funny, then they're letting their politics sabotage the operation. And if they're going into it meaning to produce political satire, then they're losing that aspect of it in a sea of aimless toilet humour. I don't think the combination worked here the way it works in South Park.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Prodigal Son » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:19 am

The wife and I saw it tonight...and I would have to say I agree with the post above that said it was funny inspite of itself.

There were lots of goofy, funny bits. Kim Jong Il singing about being lonely, for instance, or Michael Moore blowing himself up Al-Asqua style while eating a hero sandwich, and, of course, puppet sex. But good satire requires the folks its skewers to exhibit some of the exaggerated traits satires play up...and you just didn't see that in this movie.

Michael Moore blowing himself up is funny -- but come on, the premise that he fundamentally hates America? Or actors involved in a plot with Kim Jong Il? Or even the "Team America" theme song "America! Fuck Yeah!"...it's just so grotesque an exaggeration -- of both the left and right -- that none of it seemed plausible. It depended on shock to elicit laughter, but that's about it.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:04 am

America - FUCK YEAH!

The movie was great stuff. No one gets spared. Except, for some reason, the president and his challenger. If you like Trey & Matt's style of humour it's all there and a hoot. If you were looking for subtle humour and tear-jerking emotion, well, I guess you've never seen Southpark. Or even bothered to hunt down and watch their first feature, Cannibal: The Musical.

Some people were bringing their kids to this thing, thinking it was an updated Thunderbirds or something. Judging from the posts above I can see that irony and parody are more casualties of war.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Medevac » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:34 pm

I should have known you'd like it SRR. Oh well, thats enough of an endorsement for me, I've got to see it now. I just wonder how much the censors over here will cut out.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby firephoto91 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:41 pm

well I was going to see Ladder 49( being a firefighter and all) but now I think I might see this it sounds funny as hell. If I get to see a puppet of Michael Moore blow himself up I gotta see it.
firephoto91

Postby Toasty McGrath » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:25 pm

I was actually disappointed by their right wing bias... I always had those guys pegged as liberals for some reason. The puppet sex scene had me hurting from all the laughter, though. And the theme song kicked ass!

America - FUCK YEAH!
Toasty McGrath
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:43 pm

Check out Roger Ebert's review:

[url]http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041014/REVIEWS/40921007/1023
[/url]

Despite the negative review I was howling reading it
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:03 pm

Toasty McGrath wrote:I was actually disappointed by their right wing bias... I always had those guys pegged as liberals for some reason. The puppet sex scene had me hurting from all the laughter, though. And the theme song kicked ass!

America - FUCK YEAH!

To the best of my knowlege they lean toward Libertarianism. Or maybe "No-vote-tarianism."

Their key audience is young white guys, and while there are plenty who do espouse liberal ideas (mostly if we think it MIGHT get us laid), I am of the opinion that most young white men are more sympathetic to conservatism (at least FISCAL conservatism), while being fairly liberal on a smattering of social issues (especially when it comes to the ganga).
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby goat balls » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:32 pm

Good review of team america from corporatemotherfucker.com:

http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories/041015teamamerica.htm
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby mach1 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:01 pm

----

Saw Bourne Suprmeacy last night

Cool flick. Lotsa ppl said the first one was better. A lot more grit and less prettier than the first but this one holds its own water.

Lotsa good location shots: INdia, Germany, Russia ,Italy,NYC

I hope this isnt the last we see of Mr. Bourne.

До свидания
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby kilroy » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:07 pm

parker and stone are bandarik voting libs, to the best of my knowledge.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hayduke » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:14 am

This movie has the funniest vomit scene since Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
Hayduke
BFCus Regularus

Team America

Postby Land Rover » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:17 pm

Saw this flick last night and I am wondering why almost everyone seems to have missed most of the satire it presents...

I nearly laughed my ass off when the hero "Gary" was transformed into a terrorist...with a bath towel wrapped around his head and all...that's why the majority of America thinks...you are dark skinned with a towel around your head and voila, you are a terrorist.

Then when Team America (aka World Police) lands in the middle of a market in Cairo with their jet that has printed on the side something like "America cares". That's funny shit. I do not think Bush was spared even though there was no representative puppet...speaking of, they were all puppets. Doesn't that mean something?

Every time Team America came to the rescue, they destroyed some symbolic representation of that country...in Paris, they blew up the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower...in Panama, they blew up the Panama Canal...all in the name of being the World Police...

And "Gary" was addressing the world peace conference in Korea, he is appealing to all the world leaders to help out Team America to depose Kim Jong-il...and the world leaders are orginally on the side of the peace mongerers such as Alec Baldwin and Susan Sarandon! Finally, Kim Jong il is impaled on the spire of the German representatives helmet. That could have been Bush talking to the UN. Speaking of the UN, how about when Hans Blick goes to Kim Jong-il and tells him that if he doesn't comply with the UN, then the UN will write him a letter and tell him he is being bad...that is basically what the UN does/did...gee, if you don't comply, we are going to be sooooo mad...... hahahhhaha!

The toilet humor and constant conversations between the characters about who has a crush on who represents America's sensibilities as reflected in our soap operas and our general media. That and the puppet fuck scene which was illuminated by the song "Only a Woman".

Not only that, the hero of the movie is a goddamn actor!

Obviously, I liked the movie. Anyone else?
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:03 pm

Maybe I was WAY TOO buzzed but I thought it was going to be much funnier.....oh well I guess I'll have to up the smoke dose , and cut back on the drink when I rent it. Now Caveman, that's a funny movie.

Regards,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport