Motorcycle Diaries

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Motorcycle Diaries

Postby svizzerams » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:13 am

...just saw this film...thought it a good solid film, and of course the theme is near and dear to my heart...even the means of transportation!!!! Wish I was back in South America....
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:21 am

I liked the book and I think Che should have stuck to being a travel writer.

But as a travel writer he would not have his bitchin image on T-shirts (note the lack of RYP t-shirts...and he's got a moustach too) But he might still be alive.

If he combined the two his last "Bolivia on a Bandolier"

"The Indigenous populace is enjoyable and colorful, but some locals have a curious and annoying habit of riddling you with bulletts and photographing you."
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nic » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:18 am

I tought the end was a bit cheap. The whole scene when Che swims across the Amazon, leaving behind his friend and social environment to join the poors and sicks, that was too much. Then the black and white still shots of all the poor people he met during his trip. Then at the very end 2/3 screens of text explaining I don't remember what about Che's life.

But the first hour and a half of bike travelling was nice.
nic

Postby Renard » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:45 pm

The film was Ok, despite being riddled with clichés, and I agree with Nic's assessment that the end of the film was "cheap". It just got too unnecessarily political at the end - we all know what Ché became and how he ended.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:55 pm

It just got too unnecessarily political at the end - we all know what Ché became and how he ended.

not to mention that he was pretty apolitical for that entire particular trip. it wasnt till later that he developed his funny beret brand of communism.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:12 pm

I agree the bit about swimming across the amazon was a bit much...and it didn't happen. But then I guess that's Hollywood. It would be a nice thing if it would inspire those who sport the T-shirts, buy the poster etc to learn a bit more about the man behind the image.

The images of the indigenous people were quite moving to me as I spent a lot of my time in Ecuador in the Sierra and although the dress varied a little, the issues and the hardships kinda still hit me in the gut.

Not a big fan of Che's methods but can understand a bit more about what motivated him to want to combat the very real injustices that are still ongoing in the region.

Maybe he just suffered from middleclass angst.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport