Sad Day for Canada

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Sad Day for Canada

Postby mach1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:43 am

Lead singer for Doug and the Slugs dies

Last Updated Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:39:54 EDT

TORONTO - Doug Bennett, the lead singer of the Canadian indie band Doug and the Slugs, died Saturday following an undisclosed lengthy illness. He was 52.

Doug and the Slugs released four albums that went gold.

Bennett wrote a number of the band's hits from the early '80s like Day by Day, Too Bad, Tomcat Prowl and Making It Work.

The Toronto-born Bennett moved to Vancouver in 1973, forming the band in 1977.

-

Doug and the Slugs Singer Passes Away
Josh Pringle
Monday, October 18, 2004

The lead singer of Doug and the Slugs died over the weekend at the age of 52.

Doug Bennett was admitted to hospital in Calgary on October 9th, suffering acute symptoms from a lengthy illness.

Simon Kendall says Bennett lost consciousness soon after his arrival and died on Saturday with his wife, Nancy, and their three teenage daughters at his side.

The band released four gold albums, and was one of the premier Canadian touring acts in the 1980s.

-

10 Reasons Why Doug Bennett Was Cool
Monday October 18, 2004 @ 04:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Doug And The Slugs

Canadian music has lost one of its stars. Doug Bennett, the leader of Doug & The Slugs, died in a Calgary hospital on Saturday, October 16. Bennett, who has long been suffering from an undisclosed illness, was admitted to hospital earlier this month and soon slipped into a coma. Bennett was 53 years old. According to the official Doug & The Slugs website, a memorial service is being planned for Vancouver.

Rather than dwell on the sadness of Bennett's death, we here at ChartAttack would prefer to celebrate his life and his career. Here are our Top 10 Reasons Why Doug Bennett Was Cool:

1. The songs. Signature Doug & The Slugs hits like "Too Bad" and "Making It Work" have become part of the Canadian cultural fabric. Bennett may be gone, but those songs will have a life on radio for decades to come.

2. Although he did some solo work and had plenty of other projects on the go, Bennett kept giving the people what the wanted: The Slugs. Doug led the Slugs (through a variety of line-ups) for 27 years.

3. In their day, The Slugs were true touring warriors, often taking their live show to small towns that normally wouldn't see many nationally successful rock bands. The band even made it 800 miles shy of the North Pole when they entertained troops at a remote army base.

4. In the early days of The Slugs, Bennett suffered from stage fright but quickly made the decision to let his sense of humour guide him through the shows. Bennett's irreverence and charismatic personality soon became The Slugs' trademark, making their live show a must-see throughout the '80s.

5. Bennett used his gifts outside of the rock clubs as well. In the late '80s he starred in the musical Rock And Roll, which toured throughout Canada.

6. Bennett was recognized for his contributions to the Canadian music landscape through a variety of awards. The Slugs were nominated for a couple of Junos and received The Canadian Organization Of Campus Activities [COCA] Hall Of Fame Award For Live Performance in 1989 and The Pacific Music Industry Association Special Award For Outstanding Contribution To The BC Music Industry in 1997.

7. In addition to being a performer, Bennett was an acclaimed filmmaker. He wrote, produced and directed 23 music videos by artists including Trooper, The Headpins, Zappacosta and Images In Vogue.

8. Doug & The Slugs enjoyed a fair amount of success in the U.S. and had many of their songs used in TV and movies like Meatballs III and Iron Eagles II. In the late '90s, "Too Bad" was used as the theme song on Norm MacDonald's short-lived The Norm Show.

9. Bennett enjoyed performing so much that he continued even as his health began to fail. This summer he made his final performance at Club 279. He had to use a cane, but still rocked the house.

10. Doug Bennett was a true Canadian star and knew how to give Canadians a good time. He will be missed.

-

Lowdown: Exclusive Canadian music news
Doug & The Slugs leader dies
By KAREN BLISS -- For JAM! Music
Doug Bennett packed a pretty punch in his lifetime, as the lyric in his hit single, "Making It Work," goes. On Saturday, October 16, the charismatic lead singer of Vancouver's Doug & The Slugs died from an undisclosed illness, his former keyboardist Simon Kendall said in a press statement.

Bennett, who was born in Toronto in 1951, was admitted to Foothills Hospital in Calgary on October 9 and fell into a coma soon after his arrival. He remained on life support until he passed away.

"Doug was one of the best live acts in Canadian rock history, and he certainly made some of the very best early videos," says veteran music journalist and publicist Richard Flohil. "I didn't know him very well, but he was a very funny man who, long before the Barenaked Ladies even thought about music, managed to combine rock and roll and humour in a unique way."

Formed in 1977, Doug & The Slugs' 1980 debut, "Cognac And Bologna," on Ritdong/RCA, sold nearly 100,000 units, and yielded the band's first hit, "Too Bad." 1981's "Wrap It" came next, but it wasn't until the single "Making It Work" from the band's third album,"Music For The Hard Of Thinking," that Doug & The Slugs broke the U.S. 1984's Ten Big Ones (Ritdong/A&M) and 1985's Popaganda (Ritdong/A&M) followed.

In 1986, Bennett released a solo album, "Animato!" and appeared in the musical theatre production "Rock And Roll," which enjoyed limited runs in four cities in 1988, '89 and '90. Between that acting stint, U.S. label Avion put out a best of collection, and in 1988, the band released a brand new studio album, "Tomcat Prowl," on Tomcat/A & M. Four years later came "Tales From Terminal City."

Bennett also wrote, directed and produced some 23 music videos, for such artists as Trooper, Headpins, Zappacosta, Images In Vogue, Suzanne Gitzi, and, of course, Doug & The Slugs. He received numerous Juno awards in categories ranging from song of the year to best album graphics and group of the year. He also won best director from the Chicago Film Festival and best music video from Yorkton Film Festival.

Several of the band's songs were placed in film and television shows, such as Iron Eagles II, Meatballs II, Tough Love, and Neon Rider. More recently, "Too Bad" was selected as the theme to the 1999 short-lived ABC sitcom, "The Norm Show," starring former SNL funnyman Norm MacDonald.

In 1997, Bennett was honoured by the Pacific Music Industry Association with a PMIA Special award for outstanding contribution to the B.C . music industry. The group's last release was 1993's "Slugcology 101: A Decade Of Doug And The Slugs," on Tomcat/A&M.

While the band's line-up had changed throughout the years, Bennett performed under that name for 27 years, as recently as this past summer. While frail and walking with a cane, Bennett performed to 300 people at the Hard Rock Cafe's Club 279 in Toronto on August 19.

Karen Pace, the club's publicist, says, "I set up a couple of interviews for him and he was very chatty and enthusiastic about being on tour. It's great that he was playing right up until the end. I'm sure that's every musician's wish."

Randy Charlton, manager and talent buyer for the 279, has been friends with Bennett for more than 25 years. He used to book Doug & The Slugs back in the '80s when the Phoenix was known as The Diamond Club.

"We could do the Slugs yearly, in the winter, two nights, and sell out a thousand people each night, and then in the summer, of course, those were the days of the Ontario Place Forum and he would do a night there and get 12,000 people there," Charlton recalls.

"Doug's whole hook was that he was a loveable a**hole. 'I know all you women are looking at me tonight, wishing you were going home with me.' 'We're selling brown paper bags in the lobby with my picture on them. Just stick 'em on your husband's head when you get home tonight.' That kind of thing. It was almost like pop comedy. It was real bouncy, fun, pop music with a lot of comedy.

"He was really optimistic when I spoke to him a month and a half ago after the show. At the end of the night, we had a good talk. He really wanted to try to redevelop Ontario, which was a huge market for him back in the '80s. He was an absolutely magical performer. He connected with his audiences like practically nobody else that I've ever seen in 25 years of promoting concerts."

A memorial service will be held in Vancouver, date and place TBA.

Please Sign Doug's Book of Condolence at ObituariesToday.com

http://www.obituariestoday.com/Obituari ... y_ID=34671

-

It wasnt cotton candy floss that made up my diet. Loved you man..take care..next to my ribs and close to my heart...your music hasnt died and as long as we have memories that serve us well...you'll live - Max
Ride the Walrus
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby mach1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:26 am

"Who Knows How to Make Love Stay"

Who knows how to make love stay?
Help before it gets away.
That's the question of the day.

We had a love,
It was something to see,
Everybody
Talked about you and me.
Now it's gone,
But the question remains
How can something so good,
Cause me so much pain?

Now talk to me baby ...

Now, I've been down all day,
I've been up all night,
Thinkin' 'bout this,
I've been to school,
Ain't no fool,
But all I know now is,
I don't know how.

We had a love,
Thought it would never end,
Now it's over,
And we're not even friends.

Sometimes I'm lonely baby,
Thinkin' 'bout you and me,
I wonder how much it costs,
Whoa .. to be so free.
Talk to me baby ...

From "Slugcology" and "Music for the Hard of Thinking"

--

Bye bye Doug...I hope some who never heard of you learn from other people what a great gift you shared WHILE YOU WERE HERE!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ride the Walrus
mach1

Postby CdnSkyDiva » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:45 pm

That is soooo sad!! I just saw him at the Commodore ballroom with Chilliwack last year and he was fantastic!!!! Ahh, This is terrible - he was an icon in Vancouver, and very talented artist. He will be missed

CdnSkyDiva

Postby mach1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:08 pm

sure looks young in this photo...gotta be eighteez @ least?

--

mach1

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:26 am

Chiliwack is still around??!!
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:33 am

Chiliwack is still around??!!

Yeah Kurt, it ain't going nowhere. It's just east of Vancouver.

Oh, you mean the BAND? Well, Vancouver is about as far as they go these days.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:36 am

I am glad the Town still exists and I am thankful that I never have to re-live "The Canadian Invasion" music of the early 80's again.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby mach1 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:39 am

bOWEN iSLAND

gee thanks srr now I know how to get there

its right there under squamish and it appears

there is a road there if you look @ the map

cant wait...wish I were a tourist
mach1

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport