Hateful 8

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Hateful 8

Postby AztecDave » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:19 am

not that good as I think about it. the first half the worst part. got better after intermission. but overall seemed like a tarantino parody of a tarantino movie. dialog was missing. lotsa "nigger" and "bitch." that shock value is long gone, quentin. the gun violence gore was way over the top (as intended I'm sure) but got to a ridiculous level. almost like monty python' black knight scene. 1/5 stars.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Re: Hateful 8

Postby Kurt » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:02 pm

AztecDave wrote:not that good as I think about it. the first half the worst part. got better after intermission. but overall seemed like a tarantino parody of a tarantino movie. dialog was missing. lotsa "nigger" and "bitch." that shock value is long gone, quentin. the gun violence gore was way over the top (as intended I'm sure) but got to a ridiculous level. almost like monty python' black knight scene. 1/5 stars.

That was one the wife and I considered going to a theater to see but I think I will either not see it or Netflix it now after your review.

I remember in pulp fiction it was like "damn...white guys saying nigger!" and now its meh...white teens in mixed race company say nigger and it means "buddy" or "mate" (though they do not say it in front of black people older than 50). So when you are my age and are both offended and jaded at the same time by the term I really do not want to pay $30+ or more to hear it for 2 hours.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:51 pm

on the other hand, just saw the revenant. that was pretty good. much better than H8ful 8. one thing though, having spent my fair share of being outdoors in the freezing cold, snow & shit, I know one thing. stay fucking dry. freezing cold sucks. but being wet and freezing will flat out kill you. and those guys seemed to be willing to get wet, unnecessarily so, I thought, way too often. after a waterlogged trip down a frozen river in animal skins, when you get to the bank, get the fuck outta the wet ones.
ps: if even a fraction of the story is true, & I think it is, hugh glass was a bad mother fucker.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:19 am

Always curious about that advice (i know nothing about cold).

Sure, get out of wet stuff.

Into what?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:57 pm

ROB wrote:Always curious about that advice (i know nothing about cold).

Into what?

I think what he was getting at is, for example, its raining ligthly and its cold out don't make yourself wetter by fording a stream. So even if you cannot do a more sensible thing like if its raining and just above freezing and you cannot go into a building and have hot cocoa and read a book you make an effort to not get wetter by not taking risks that get you wetter.

A few weeks ago we had a very stupid musician who decided that a windy , cold wet blizzard was the perfect time to go duck hunting. He and his friend just took one plop in shallow water and that was all it took for both of them to die.

Speaking of (lots of coffee today) Duck Hunting is pretty complicated. You gotta know about boats, shooting, decoys, calls, training dogs etc. There is no way you can just grab a gun and go into the marsh and be decent at it by trial and error.

Where I grew up there were tons of ducks but very few duck hunters. Even my hunting neighbors did not do it. The only people I knew who did it was two classmates of mine whose fathers were not from the Midwest.

Why? Because of this blizzard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day_Blizzard

It killed so many duck hunters that it either stopped being handed down from generation to generation or the Duck hunters who survived just said "fuck it" to their past time. My farmer relatives talked about that blizzard when I was a kid and told us to never trust a warm day in winter because it was always still winter.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:13 am

AztecDave wrote:but overall seemed like a tarantino parody of a tarantino movie.

Django felt the same way. The whole Tarantino doing Tarantino-esque films started to show in Kill Bill. Which must suck for him, it's one of those 'Dance! Monkey! Dance!' situations.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:48 am

Kurt wrote:Speaking of (lots of coffee today) Duck Hunting is pretty complicated. You gotta know about boats, shooting, decoys, calls, training dogs etc. There is no way you can just grab a gun and go into the marsh and be decent at it by trial and error.

You should go visit New Zealand some time. :)
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:56 pm

ROB wrote:
Kurt wrote:Speaking of (lots of coffee today) Duck Hunting is pretty complicated. You gotta know about boats, shooting, decoys, calls, training dogs etc. There is no way you can just grab a gun and go into the marsh and be decent at it by trial and error.

You should go visit New Zealand some time. :)

New Zealand is one of those places I know close to zero about. They speak English. There are Maori. There was a giant flightless bird. There is a Tuatara that is of its own in the reptile world.

But I have no idea of the climate and habits of the people.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:35 pm

ROB wrote:Always curious about that advice (i know nothing about cold).

Into what?

Anything: being naked with a covering of dryish leaves, ferns, rushes, grass, heather, moss is better than keeping sodden duds on. And while you're doing it you need fire (to dry your stuff and warm up) and shelter (to prevent windchill and rain taking you down within the hour). Wet cold kills very quickly and it has pissed me off for years that films don't seem to realise this fact while their stars shrug off a night under the, er, stars in wet duds and get up to do it all over again. It just shows how few people have ever spent a night or three out in the open without the trappings of modern technology and spare clothes. I don't blame them and their hardy ancestors who worked to escape it would be proud, because anyone who has got any sense (and isn't some kind of masochistic weirdo) avoids it like the plague.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Duck hunting in certain parts of Africa and certain parts of the Americas is too easy. I guess New Zealand is too. But real British duckhunters (known as wildfowlers over here) relish the prospect of howling blizzards before, treacherous tidal creeks that cut off your retreat and the merest glimpse of a skein of geese or flight of ducks whistling past on the gale, while your forlorn muffled shots at their disappearing shadows get swallowed up in the darkness. Yes, it is a little masochistic and roast goose, on the rare occasions you get lucky, tastes like a meal fit for a king. But most of all it feels like a worthy venture, even if it's not, it's about the best that our denatured selves can get to these days.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:17 pm

Well that's a bit disappointing. I liked Django Unchained, and picked up Hateful Eight at the video store a couple of weeks ago. I haven't watched it yet because a 3:07 run time has kept me from committing so far, but I was hoping it would be fun.

As for The Revenant, I enjoyed it, but the whole getting wet constantly really irritated me and detracted from the realism.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Tarantino sucks ass. He continually steals "his ideas" from movies made 40 years ago. And he doesn't even remake them right.

His whole B movie shtick doesn't work. You can't make a B movie on purpose. All those old Italian and Japanese movies that were so horribly wonderfully bad weren't made to be bad. That's just how they ended up, which is what makes them so good.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby coldharvest » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Q wrote:Tarantino sucks ass. He continually steals "his ideas" from movies made 40 years ago. And he doesn't even remake them right.

His whole B movie shtick doesn't work. You can't make a B movie on purpose. All those old Italian and Japanese movies that were so horribly wonderfully bad weren't made to be bad. That's just how they ended up, which is what makes them so good.

It's like so much of modern art "I've re-purposed things and use ideas ironically now it's mine so I'm clever....pay me."
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Hateful 8

Postby russlits » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:16 pm

The Hateful Eight December 7, 2015 :- Set Six OR Eight OR Twelve Years After the Civil War, a Stagecoach Hurtles through the Wintry Wyoming Landscape.
russlits

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport