Penta-bashing

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Penta-bashing

Postby Jäeger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Are you suggesting flipflop and nowonmai talk sense in their posts directed at me?

Nope. Which is why I said:

Besides, the two Brits have their own issues with you, as far as you being a traitor, supporting the killing of British troops and all that stuff goes. I'll leave all of you to sort that out, but I can see how you've managed to offend some folks.

The question is can you see it?
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby Penta » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Jäeger wrote:
Are you suggesting flipflop and nowonmai talk sense in their posts directed at me?

Nope. Which is why I said:

Besides, the two Brits have their own issues with you, as far as you being a traitor, supporting the killing of British troops and all that stuff goes. I'll leave all of you to sort that out, but I can see how you've managed to offend some folks.

The question is can you see it?

I wasn't going to reply properly to your bigot post, to avoid what someone recently referred to as quagmires. Anyway, briefly alluding to it, yes, I do know that some US citizens here feel offended by my criticisms of US foreign policy and domestic policy as it relates to global issues like climate change, food stocks and humanitarian/human rights questions such as torture and the death penalty. And most subjects discussed here are US-related or have a US dimension, so it's the US that gets the majority of my comments. But when I use the same criteria to criticise European countries, the EU or Britain, nobody seems to be offended, not US citizens, not even citizens of the country/countries concerned (with occasional exceptions such as flipflop going off on one about my succinct explanation of the Twelfth of July marches). Why is that, do you suppose?
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Penta wrote:nobody seems to be offended, not US citizens, not even citizens of the country/countries concerned (with occasional exceptions such as flipflop going off on one about my succinct explanation of the Twelfth of July marches). Why is that, do you suppose?

The lack of a 25th hour in the day?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 pm

Jaeger: since I did partially reply to your bigot post, I should also have thanked you for your positive comment.

ROB: I thought you'd bowed out of this thread. Any further thoughts on my supposed hypocrisy in supposedly criticising people's charitable donations?
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:47 pm

For some reason I have this going through my head. A girl called Emily taught me it when we were both about 8 years old. I'm slightly disappointed to find it on the internet because I thought she made it up.

Bum (slap your bum), tit tit (rub your nipples)
(Repeat line one)
Play the willy banjo (play air guitar with your genitals)

Version 2: (same actions)

Bum tit tit
Bum tit tit
Play the fanny organ
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Nope. You're still a hypocrite.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:56 am

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:21 am

Nowonmai, imagine for a moment that people aren't always actually talking, thinking about or directing things at you.

Something tells me imaginging this won't be such a stretch for you.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jäeger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 am

I wasn't going to reply properly to your bigot post, to avoid what someone recently referred to as quagmires.

There won’t be a quagmire, because I’m not going to argue it. I won’t argue with someone who believes that anyone who happened to be born in a nation called the United States is an idiot or supporter of some evil totalitarian regime.

I know that I am fairly intelligent and a fairly decent fellow, and that most other Americans are quite like me. I feel no need to defend myself or others' overall decency against someone who’s never been here and will never come here and throws around every ignorant stereotype she can like it was a gospel truth.

I do know that some US citizens here feel offended by my criticisms of US foreign policy and domestic policy as it relates to global issues like climate change, food stocks and humanitarian/human rights questions such as torture and the death penalty.

Don’t try to muddy the waters here. I’m not writing about your valid criticisms of US policy. I agree with many of your points on these issues (although the statism betrays a streak that is a bit too totalitarian for my taste) and yet I manage not to consistently offend anyone or get "bashed" by folks with differing political views. In fact, I've had some decent discussions and learned some things from people here with very different views including super-religious folks, libertarians and old-school conservatives.

What I am criticising are the repeated denials of any possible counter-point, your tossing about of ignorant stereotypes, your patronising attitude and your need to throw a moral dimension (with the US as invariably evil) into every discussion without having a coherent moral position of your own.

Our Negroponte discussion was a perfect example of the latter. You criticise and condemn actions as “immoral” if they are done by the US or its agents. Yet, you contend that the same actions in the same circumstances are morally just if done by other actors. This is an incoherent moral position and yet you felt the need to criticise the “moral compass” of Americans from your flimsy position.

And most subjects discussed here are US-related or have a US dimension, so it's the US that gets the majority of my comments.

Again that is understandable. The issue is that your “comments” are often shown to be ignorant stereotypes and / or factually wrong. The example that ROB brought up of your refusal to accept the figures on charitable contributions is just one of many examples.

But when I use the same criteria to criticise European countries, the EU or Britain, nobody seems to be offended, not US citizens, not even citizens of the country/countries concerned

If / When you use the same criteria for criticising policy that is true. However, when you criticise the policy of other nations, it usually is just a criticism of policy without the ignorant stereotypes and sly digs. You also don’t spend such a disproportionate amount of time on “criticisms” of any other countries and for you certain countries (Venezuela and Iran are examples) seem to be totally exempt from criticism.

Trust me, if you start bashing the Australians, the Canadians or the French with the same single-minded vigour and persistence, I reckon you’d get the same reaction.

Jaeger: since I did partially reply to your bigot post, I should also have thanked you for your positive comment.

You're quite welcome, and the whole thing is meant to be positive.

I like having, as friendlyskies put it "your hot commie ass" on the board. We need a little bit of your particular brand of insanity to liven things up. I just meant to point out that (especially lately) the polemics and the stubborness have been getting a little bit ridiculous and over-the-top, and that you might want to think about toning it down a little.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby flipflop » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 am

(with occasional exceptions such as flipflop going off on one about my succinct explanation of the Twelfth of July marches). Why is that, do you suppose?

"Succinct"? - Is that another euphemism for "uninformed", "ignorant", "prejudiced", "uneducated", "bigoted"? You've never even been to an Orange March, never set foot in Northern Ireland, yet you can dismiss 60% of the population's cultural identity as "all thoroughly unpleasant" without even blinking? And Mikethehack not only agreed with me that a miniscule number of ALL the marches, including the Twelfth itself, are any trouble at all - but even trimmed off my figures (from 12 out of 3000+ to about 6 out of 4000) of potential flashpoints. Is he wrong too?

And your dad was a dirt poor Brigadier......?

And where's your knockout punch consisting of pictures of....erm.......me?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 am

ROB, imagine for a moment that people aren't always actually talking, thinking about or directing things at you.

I just put things out there man, my art is interpreted differently by everyone. Perhaps you should reflect on what makes you feel like you're the train spotter in that photograph. Cry it all out.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:25 am

Yeah, you're a real enigma.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:39 am

I've been fortunate enough to have spent some time with Jaeger and he is "salt of the earth" and there isn't a pretensious/phoney bone in his body and he's articulated the major beef I have with our Penta.

He tells it like it is. I've yet to engage the "Ignore" function and I harbor no malice towards anyone here but yeah the lable of "bigot" with regards to it's application in this context feels deservedly accurate.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:58 am

Who the fuck were you on here before you morphed into "Nuclear_Football"?

Why ban the most earnest yet dumbest poster on the forum? Do you really want to deny the fruit-loop entertainment the daft old scarecrow provides for us all? She's the one calling for the moderators to censor others, like yours truly, as she's one step from being Napoleon off "Animal Farm". But the rest of us can't have it both ways - I exercise my right to BFC free speech, why should she, or YOU be prevented from doing so either?

BASH NOT BAN

Now fuck off, you're beginning to irritate me, and people might think I actually hang out with you

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:07 am

Yeah, of course I am, and you obviously read through the BFC threads a lot more thoroughly than the rest of us

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe