Calgary Christians lose their minds

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Calgary Christians lose their minds

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:50 am

Normally I expect insane shit like the banning of Piglet or demands to call Christmas 'winterfest' to come from British Islamists but this time it's Canadian Christians.

A Christian group is calling for the removal of an elephant statue, modeled after a Hindu god, from the Calgary Zoo calling it "selective religious partiality."

A three metre-tall tall statue of a dancing elephant was donated to the zoo for the opening of its Elephant Crossing exhibit in 2006.

It was commissioned to look like Ganesh, a Hindu god worshipped as a remover of obstacles. But Laurie Herron, a Calgary Zoo spokeswoman, said all religious symbolism on the statue was omitted before it was allowed to be displayed.

Jim Blake, national chairman of Concerned Christians Canada, sent a letter to the zoo on Thursday, calling for the sculpture to be removed.

"The zoo is not a place of religious indoctrination, it is supposed to be a safe family environment free of religious icons and selective religious partiality," Blake wrote.

"The displaying of different gods in a public place like this is an offence to our beliefs and does not represent the diversity of views that should be reflected."

If the zoo wants to keep the statue and "[embark] on teaching the public about world religions, Blake suggested that the facility also erect the cross of Jesus Christ, the Ten Commandments and Noah's Ark

"The display of foreign gods is offensive and does not reflect the views of the majority of Canadians," he continued.

Reached by CBC News late on Thursday, Herron told CBC News she and the zoo's board of directors had not yet seen Blake's letter.

But she said the statue, given to the zoo by a private donor, was intended to reflect the cultural symbol of elephants, and not any religious icon.

....because nothing says "Fuck you Jesus" like a dancing elephant.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Calgary Christians lose their minds

Postby SRR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:33 am

Good on 'em.

Why should the muzzies and Hindies corner the market on being offended by everything they see in a secular western country?
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:18 am

I was at an Indian restaurant last night. It had a statue of Vishnu the Elephant with a rat at it's feet...presumably waiting for a ball of shit to drop from Vishnu.

Chritians just don't have that kind if imagination. Virgin Mary's and the missionary position only.
Sri Lanky

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:04 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Virgin Mary's and the missionary position only.

she's only a Virgin if you don't count anal.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby LechoZX » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:54 pm

The only logical solution is to add a statue of Raptor Jesus.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 pm

coldharvest wrote:

Classic!
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:32 am

HockeyGuy wrote:
coldharvest wrote:

Classic!

They got a shirt like that over at tee shirt hell that Im gettin with my next order.

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts- ... ount-anal/
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:48 am

That's awesome! A Venice Beach special...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe