That was the sound of my head exploding

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

That was the sound of my head exploding

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 pm

I know, I know, all you soldiers and PMCs are always annoyed because everyone [me] has a stupid opinion about where you work even though they've never been there, etc etc. But good grief, at least the Middle East gets some attention from the lamestream media, most people know that, say, Iran and Saudi Arabia are different countries. (I said most, not all.)

Latin America, however, is apparently one giant Mexican border town, with walled-off beach resorts named Cancún and Acapulco, which are surrounded by communists and gangs. And I accept that! Hey, I don't know how to play Mafia Wars or who won Dancing with the Stars last season, so we're all even.

But I just had a facebook altercation with three people. Apparently, Hugo Chavez is not only a dictator (which I disagree with based on the whole "elections" thing, but is at least a legitimate accusation in the US political context) but also the president of Costa Rica, which is a "paramilitary country" (exact words) with troops who wipe out political dissent by mowing down demonstrations filled with people too poor to afford guns, because otherwise there would be a coup d'etat.

[Cue that one scene from scanners.]

Maybe it's time to start using harder drugs.
Last edited by friendlyskies on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: That was the sound of my head exploding

Postby Caliban » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Beat them around the head with a large Atlas until they can name the Capital Cities of thirty different countries
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm pretty fuckin stoned Skies, how bout you?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I'm pretty fuckin stoned Skies, how bout you?

Colombian ditch weed, not even good Colombian. I need to fucking go to Mexico and get some real weed. Or Oakland, California, they just made it 100% legal there this week, finally. They want it to be "The Silicon Valley of Marijuana."

Great sig line btw

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby el3so » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:05 pm

rickshaw92 wrote: how bout you?
Take a guess.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

If I come to Europe in October, you gentlemen are going to smoke me out, right?

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 pm

friendlyskies wrote:If I come to Europe in October, you gentlemen are going to smoke me out, right?

Sure.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 am

friendlyskies wrote:If I come to Europe in October, you gentlemen are going to smoke me out, right?

Naturally
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby rdkll » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:25 am

claro
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 am

Consider yourself fumigated 'skies.

Totally unrelated subject: anyone know if chloroform-doused rizlas still burn?
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 pm

OK, I'm doing this. Lemme know if you have couches I can sleep on. Actually, I can sleep on the floor surrounded by screaming children etc with absolutely no problem, as long as I have nice blanket, my only serious weakness is cold (anything under about 23°C). I'm so sick of the Americas, I'll post my vacay dates in a couple of weeks.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:09 pm

friendlyskies wrote:OK, I'm doing this. Lemme know if you have couches I can sleep on. Actually, I can sleep on the floor surrounded by screaming children etc with absolutely no problem, as long as I have nice blanket, my only serious weakness is cold (anything under about 23°C). I'm so sick of the Americas, I'll post my vacay dates in a couple of weeks.

Skies is coming for a visit, how kewl! I might have a place for ya to crash but I haven't a clue where I will be living then. We should plan a BFC smoke up.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Caliban » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:45 pm

I won't be around first half of October, so, make England the second half of the month and you can all make to Liverpool for a lost weekend ! Plenty of space here.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby ktrout » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 am

friendlyskies wrote: Apparently, Hugo Chavez is not only a dictator (which I disagree with based on the whole "elections" thing, but is at least a legitimate accusation in the US political context)

I guess Human Rights Watch is a surrogate for the American right? How come these people's revolutions always end up killing and oppressing so many of them? Why do Chomsky et al make so many excuses for or just flat ignore the human rights abuses of their pet "revolutionaries"? Just as long as everyone is equally destitute and living in their own filth they're happy I guess.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:46 pm

ktrout wrote:I guess Human Rights Watch is a surrogate for the American right? How come these people's revolutions always end up killing and oppressing so many of them?
Just to put the record straight, for all his failings, I'm pretty sure that nobody has been able to accuse Chávez of killing his opponents. I did read the whole HRW report, and as far as I remember they didn't cite any examples. Yet how much do we hear about Honduras, for example, where in less than a year since the coup, Pepe Lobo's government (which Clinton has been trying to get the rest of the continent to recognise) has managed to kill 9 journalists who oppose it, plus lots of other people, and sacked 4 supreme court judges who refused to go along with the refusal to abide by the constitution? It is important to read reports of the supposed horrors committed by governments who assert their independence from el Norte with some scepticism.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe