Who invented Fashion?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Who invented Fashion?

Postby Hunter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:27 am

A few years back a friend of mine said that a shirt she saw was so Ugly that she doesn't know why people would buy them let alone wear them. Years on that shirt style is now in 'fashion' and now she owns a few herself and claims she loves them. Without a doubt those shirts are going to be out of fashion soon enough and I can guarantee she will hate the look of them aswell as all the other millions of fashionettes (I made that word up). How can everyone 'feel' positive towards a particular look and then when its out of fashion those same people ALL genuinely now dislike it? How is that even possible? Who controls it? Another example is how trends and fashion come back in after being hated for so long. Why and How? When you think about it deeply it doesn't make sense.

That is my question.
Lets sip our 1978 Fortified Tokay and puff on our R&J Cigars and discuss.....
Hunter

Postby el3so » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 am

The same douchebags that make up commercials.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Who invented Fashion?

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:27 am

Jeans and tee shirt will never go outta style, thank fuck for that.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Jeans and tee shirt will never go outta style, thank fuck for that.

guys who wear loincloths think you're a metrosexual.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:11 pm

coldharvest wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:Jeans and tee shirt will never go outta style, thank fuck for that.

guys who wear loincloths think you're a metrosexual.

Like I give a salad toss about what a bunch of new age hippys in Goa think.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Fashion serves a few purposed. Including (1) to sell people shit they don't need, (2) to prove that you are socially aware, which implies a whole host of personality pluses that appeal to potential mates, friends, and coworkers; and (3) to get laid, which is our meat half's main concern. I guarantee the guys wearing loin cloths are aware of each shred of clothings' telling details.

Who invented it?

I was actually hashing out relationship shit with the ex-love of my life a couple years back (10+ years after we'd dated) and he said that one of the things that he had always really hated about me was that I didn't spend a ton of money on clothes. I was like, "You dumped me because I was broke, in college?" And he looked confused. "Persian girls go into debt to wear nice clothes, you always wore the same dress to every party and it was embarrassing, my friends used to make fun of you." That made me smile. "So you dumped me because I was smart?" LOL. He's still in debt, I still wear the same dress to every party.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Naveen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:40 pm

It was invented by a man who wanted to troll women and their pussy whipped husbands. A fucking genius if you ask me.
Naveen
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 pm

you can explain fashion via 100+ different functions it serves. who cares why its there. its there and yer a fggt if you ignore it.

if someone sucks at fashion tho they will always make some gay excuse about "o i dont care" "o its not important im a deeper person than that" and its the same thing as fat ppl sayin "o its not important to be skinny" or "i dont care how i look i can still be a great person"

excuses. you do othr pointless shit all the time in your pointless life to meet your and other ppls' arbitrary social expectations, so if you cant do the most important, basic one - just look good - youre either a stupid ugly piece of shit or old, and either way worth nothing to the rest of us. so kill yourself.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Fansy wrote: other ppls' arbitrary social expectations
That and pockets.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby flipflop » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Style never goes out of fashion, that's why most of you cunts are fashionable, not stylish

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby DrakeS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Well I guess it just goes to show a cyclic nature of fashion. Miniskirts are in, now they are back, where were they? Fashion forecasts are always one season behind, thats why we will see runway shows for spring 2011 in a few months. This thread is useless without a few Indy pics
DrakeS
mach

Postby Caliban » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 pm

You can't beat a wide brimmed Fedora, I love wearing mine. It seems my Aviator sunglasses are now back in fashion, so I now only need the Fedora to do the same and I'm an Icon.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Black Flag Cafe