Danger-zone tourism research

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Danger-zone tourism research

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Here's my suggestion: You are both only hurting yourselves at this point.
Sri Lanky

Postby flipflop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Oh ok, Peanut did it, he's the hacker, you're the victim, glad we cleared that up, give us another post about self-hating jews then. Erm any evidence it was him?

Cheers and condolences
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Penta » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:57 pm

any evidence it was him?

None whatsoever.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:05 pm

It must be him then
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Penta » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:07 pm

I doubt it.
Last edited by Penta on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Why point a thinly veiled finger at him? He is a twat, a cunt even, but you fingered him without any proof. Revenge for his alleged chat-room idiocy?
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Penta » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:17 pm

I don't know whether peanut and anon in chat are one and the same. Only he/they know that. They're both pathetic wankers though.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Perhaps, doesn't make him/them uber-hackers though
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Penta » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Nope. Or even pretty basic hacker(s).
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Brighton won today, 2-1 at Swindon
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Penta » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm glad for you. Bye for now.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Ta-ra
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby dogtanian » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:59 am

As accustomed as I am to the perpetual crescendo of: "commie bitch"... "fascist wanker"... "commie bitch"... "fascist wanker"... having just skim-read the last few pages of this thread, I really am quite aghast. It's clear that something or someone has transcended the demarcation line between 'internet' and 'life'. The fact that it's starting to affect people, personally, is a real shame.

I've been posting on the BFC for a few years now, and whilst I haven't had an opportunity to visit as often as I used to as a consequence of work/travel, the discussion and viewpoints [and even the exchange of banal insults] that I find on the BFC is always informative, and often educational in that they widen my perspective to views that I wouldn't normally have considered. Of course, I have always used a 'squelch' button to filter out the background-noise bullshit from the topics and discussion that interests me; and since this is - after all - the internet, I know that many participants will perhaps be inclined to 'go a bit futher' than they would over polite drawing-room conversation with a glass of wine.

But... I really don't like what I'm seeing at the moment. Again, whilst I haven't taken time to read all of the detail (it sounds as if it spans a few threads), there are clearly some major points of contention that have culminated in something that's pretty nasty - even for the Flag.

Based on what I have read of this thread, I'm a little confused as to what's gone on. But my sixpenth worth is as follows: I have great deal of respect for both FlipFlop and Penta, having exchanged conversation, views, travel tips etc. with both of them over the past few years. I like FlipFlip's posts and responses because they're gritty, sharp, and based on personal experiences of being in 'hot' theatres. And I like Penta's posts because they're thoughtful, detailed, and always present a very well-argued perspective. I guess that their political views of the world stage couldn't be more different; and this has - on occasion - resulted in debate falling victim to 'lowest common denominator' responses, but this is in common with every other Internet forum I've been on. We all have 'real lives' outside of the BFC [whilst that may not be true for some of the 'aggitators' in this little episode, I know that the three of us definitely do]. We all start to get tired at the end of a long day, and we've all been inclined to round-off a late night internet session with a cold beer and perhaps a witty little snipe in order to rouse and entertain the BFC's 'audience', rather than a 'robust & considered' response that this good forum is worthy of. Often, people take the bait and before you know it, a perfectly sensible thread about Iran ends up mutating into a personal discussion about who's a bitch and who's a wanker and how dogtanian has just ridden a pony from Eaton to Iran whislt wearing a pink PVC suit. Unfortunate though, in common with Pop Culture, The Sun, and Fox News, it's that kinda stuff that often gets the high ratings, and i daresay a lot of the more 'lighter-weight' armchair experts on this forum are able to derive far more amusement by sitting on the sidelines whilst orchestrating and stoking-up personal attacks... purely because they've never actually been to a real DP, and don't have the gusto to argue [or even understand] most of the REAL discussion that happens on the BFC.

...And I think that's what's actually happening here. I do not - for one moment - think that Penta would lie. Based on everything I've observed of Penta's psyche and style [commie bitch jokes aside] I would bet my life on the fact that Penta would first and foremost ensure that her views are aired to as wide an audience as possible; and secondly, that she'd fess-up to anything that she said or did that was wrong or that she regretted. As for FlipFlip, I'm equally certain that the e-mail/PM in question was received is real, and that it did say whatever it was purported to have said, and that it seemed as though it came from Penta.

Whilst I realise that my observations hardly solve the matter in hand, having been a member of a reputed 'internet security' circle for a large chunk of my life, I will add that I know of instances - in the workplace and on internet - where a person has gained unauthorised access to another person's account [be it linux/windows/gmail] in order to do something that they shouldn't. It's actually quite easy if you know what you're doing. It's even easier if you don't expect the target to be able to call the Security Services onto you.

As for Jäeger, I have no idea who he is and what he does [if anything] because I've never really paid much attention to what he has to say... but I did think it a little odd to propose a 'vote' on who stays and who goes. Firstly because I'd vote for the person who isn't stirring from the sidelines, and secondly because this isn't fucking democracy. Only RYP gets to decide who goes.

For my part, I am happy to mediate and try to find-out what's happened here, if both Penta and FlipFlop want me to. I'd be happy do this as a personal favour to both of them, simply because I think they're both awesome in their own ways. This would have to be by individual telephone discussions... I think this needs to be taken off-line.

And... finally, for the sake of Fansy and all of the people recklessly chucking bottles of petrol onto this situation. No. Penta didn't PM me. I found this thread all on my own and was just about to add that Mahmood Abbas' convoy is made up of 10 armoured vehicles with an armoured ambulance trailing them at all times.

cheers,

Tris.
"Truth is cool; but unattainable..."
dogtanian
BFCus Regularus

Location: Amsterdam - Douala - HCMC - Singapore - Wellington - Whistler

Postby Penta » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 am

This is nothing to do with flipflop, dog. (Well, apart from the fact that he cheers Jaeger on, but that's by the by. He managed to address 6 whole posts to me last night without a single insult, which must be a record, so you never know: some good might conceivably come out of this whole debacle.) And Fansy wasn't shit-stirring but kindly and genuinely offering to mediate. If you've not clocked on to Jaeger, then you've really not been paying attention: he's one of the best and brightest here (though not very prolific); a bit rough and tough for my taste, but well travelled and knowledgeable.

But thanks all the same for your kind words about my not lying. That is the key. And the fact that Jaeger thinks I would lie, especially about something as serious as this (and then keep up for weeks an act of being all aggrieved about it to cover myself), is what is most distressing to me.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby dogtanian » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:22 am

Oh OK. As i said, I skim-read most of it.

I stand by the views I expressed, though.

Anyhow, off to The Comedy Store in South Bombay now!
"Truth is cool; but unattainable..."
dogtanian
BFCus Regularus

Location: Amsterdam - Douala - HCMC - Singapore - Wellington - Whistler

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe