White privilege

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

White privilege

Postby coldharvest » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 am

Controversy is brewing over a city-sponsored anti-racism campaign that calls on Caucasians to recognize their "white privilege".

At least one Edmonton city councillor says the campaign makes a point, while a Conservative politician is saying the wording is all wrong.

"A white person looking for an apartment to rent does not face similar challenges that an aboriginal person does," said councillor Amarjeet Sohi, explaining what is meant by the phrase white privilege.

But Ryan Hastman, the federal Conservative candidate for the Edmonton-Strathcona, said he's concerned because the campaign's focus on white people is too narrow.

"If we try to address these issues by singling out groups, it seems to be counterproductive," said Hastman, who posted some of his concerns on Twitter.

The City of Edmonton and 13 Edmonton organizations - including the Edmonton Police Service, Alberta Human Rights Commission and Edmonton Catholic Schools - are behind the Racism-Free Edmonton campaign.

The campaign is focused on identifying and resolving institutional barriers faced by aboriginal people and other racial groups in Edmonton, according to a City of Edmonton release.

The campaign aims to have 30,000 Edmontonians sign a scroll committing to defeating racism locally.

On the campaign's website, racismfreeedmonton.ca, under the "What can you do to stop racism" heading, the first line reads "acknowledge your white privilege."

"White privilege refers to all the benefits we get just for being white. Most of us are aware of how racism hurts others, but we're not aware of how it benefits us," the site reads.

It then paraphrases Dr. Peggy McIntosh, associate director of the Wellesley Collage Center for Research on Women, a U.S. college, and her 1989 paper "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack."

"Most of us have little awareness of our white privilege. We're so used to having the benefits that come with being white that we don't even realize we have them. We also aren't aware of our privilege because the system has encouraged us not to be aware," reads the website.

The site also encourages individuals to read media critically, learn Canada's history and listen to the stories of minority groups.

Hastman said he acknowledges racism is a problem, but prefers to overlook racial divides instead of focusing on them.

"I just speak for my gut reaction to it, which was this can't be the best way to go about it," he said.

Sohi said recognizing those differences is important.

"I am part of the culture, I am part of the history, I'm part of the language and part of the tradition. I must feel proud of it, and I feel proud of it," he said.

"Everyone should feel proud of their own culture or heritage. But one is not more superior than another."
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: White privilege

Postby Fansy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 pm

all true and who cares. dont understand white ppl who wont admit it cuz it doesnt fukn matter we still win just the same.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:02 am

If coloured people had just plain fuckin' fought harder we wouldn't be in this mess.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Caliban » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am

coldharvest wrote:If coloured people had just plain fuckin' fought harder we wouldn't be in this mess.

Same goes for the American Indians. Pussys

Yes,I did steal the idea from a t shirt
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Caliban wrote:
coldharvest wrote:If coloured people had just plain fuckin' fought harder we wouldn't be in this mess.

Same goes for the American Indians. Pussys

Yes,I did steal the idea from a t shirt

If you can't fit it on a t-shirt it's not worth saying.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ktrout » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Since the Middle Easterners had horses, cattle, grains, and steel how come they ended up in the mess they're in now?
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:30 pm

ktrout wrote:Since the Middle Easterners had horses, cattle, grains, and steel how come they ended up in the mess they're in now?

They didn't kill enough Infidel and then the Infidel drew maps.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ktrout » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 pm

coldharvest wrote:
ktrout wrote:Since the Middle Easterners had horses, cattle, grains, and steel how come they ended up in the mess they're in now?

They didn't kill enough Infidel and then the Infidel drew maps.

The Moors didn't too too bad at coloring in parts of the map themselves. Just that the Brits perfected the process of creating administrative puppets who help siphon out the raw materials. Then running away after the peasants start slitting throats because they're tired of being slaves. Leaving them to struggle under perpetual political instability in medieval living conditions, of course.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby lok8 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:44 pm

A plague came upon them from the Mongolian Step
Stay behind. don't follow.
lok8
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 am

Irrigation.

When you irrigate a desert you eventually only grow salt. The soils of Europe have been growing grain for 3000 years now without a single salty desert in sight (except for maybe parts of Spain).

The thing I do not like about terms like White privilege is that I know many white folks who have not gotten diddly squat for being white. When you grow up in an all white area there is no privilege. So when suddenly you get people claiming that white folks have it made compared to non-whites so they give non-whites extras to make up for it, then when the white folks succeed in spite of being handicapped by law, then that would make them what?

Superior?

If you have been kicked down and come back up and then have some college kid tell you that you have privilege because of your skin color, the natural response is to either say "bullshit" or "well then I must be the master race if these brownies cannot get their shit together after 40 years of legislation"

I am hoping most folks are like me and just say bullshit to the whole white privilege thing (except I can lip off to cops now, but white is just a small factor in that combined with middle age, suit and tie) but there are going to be some who figure that if non whites cannot dominate whites by now then fuck ém.....those are people to be worried about and we are more likely to create them with this kind of talk than destroy them.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:41 pm

coldharvest wrote:Controversy is brewing over a city-sponsored anti-racism campaign that calls on Caucasians to recognize their "white privilege".

So more racism is the best way to combat racism? Or is racism defined not by the conduct of the alleged racist, but rather the alleged racist's choice of victims?
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 am

Michael wrote:So more racism is the best way to combat racism? Or is racism defined not by the conduct of the alleged racist, but rather the alleged racist's choice of victims?

While I ultimately agree in the end, I can understand their thinking somewhat. At one of Harvard's museums I saw a painting calling Mount Rushmore vandalism of Indian lands. That was kind of a bring down. I still have my Mt. Rushmore shirt, though.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:23 pm

lol whatever fags i have rich white family and poor white family and youre gay if you think white privilege is just bout havin money in your pocket.

its also the cultural capital you got that wasnt maintained and was even destroyed in many of america's non-white communities, increased likelihood to have knowledge of your family history and/or ability to find that info out, better reception from white parts of our social/political and business society (the majority of its influential and powerful circles), psychological identification with the "victors" of american history, reduced degree of discrimination and demonization than that which frequently occurs between competing minority groups (let alone from white on non-white), increased demographic likelihood that more people in your neighborhood will have more resources, employment, and less crime, increased likelihood that your teachers will like you, increased likelihood that police wont hassle you, better long-term health outcomes and reduced healthcare costs than comparable non-whites, etc etc etc

if you are white in america and cant make it, you are probably a stupid fat fuck who is a worthless piece of shit. same thing goes for the world.

the point being however, that who fukn cares. we whites still win, and we dont need to apologize for that shit (cuz we're only guilty of being awesome) nor nullify it (cuz it certainly fukn exists and is apparent if you aren't fucktarded), which is what i see you hesitant and guilty-minded bitches doing with your "o to talk about white privilege is racism" and "o im poor and white in america and thats the same as poor and black". stfu and stop being a stupid pussy. understand, own, and enjoy your situation. jesus christ
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm

if you are white in america and cant make it, you are probably a stupid fat fuck who is a worthless piece of shit. same thing goes for the world.

the point being however, that who fukn cares.

this is why I love you
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Penta » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Fansy wrote:if you are white in america and cant make it, you are probably a stupid fat fuck who is a worthless piece of shit. same thing goes for the world.
Stupid and/or fat makes you worthless?
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe