How much are gas prices where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby unklenastie » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:42 am

$1.85 regular. Paying a lot for gas sucks. It hasnt been much more than a year ago that I was paying $1.15 per gallon. I miss those days.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

unklenastie

Postby andy » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:22 am

Approx .75 cents for a relatively full glass ex-Fanta bottle, i guess.
andy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Shining Eye » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:45 am

How about the price of beef? USD18.00$ for a decent looking Porterhouse steak, USD60.00$ for a small Standing Rib roast. Milk USD+3.00$ a gallon, Gas USD 2.10$ a gallon. Mid Atlantic coast US.

http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av077.htm
Shining Eye
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:06 pm

Gas two days ago: $2.05/gal.
Bottled water at the concert last night: $3.00
Domestic Beer at said concert: $5.00

What's the world coming to?
Thank God I didn't try to have a Guiness.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

from 10/9 Hawaiichannel.com news source

Postby DawnC71 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:15 pm

Hawaii Gas Prices Reach Record Highs

POSTED: 7:48 am HST October 9, 2004
UPDATED: 8:00 am HST October 9, 2004

HONOLULU -- Hawaii gasoline prices, which are highest in the nation, hit a new all-time high Saturday.

According to AAA, the average price for a gallon of regular unleaded in the islands was a record $2.37, well above the national average of $1.95.

Maui motorists had the highest prices at the pump, paying an average of $2.64. The average price was a record $2.27 per gallon in Honolulu and $2.36 in Hilo.

California had the second-highest gas prices in the nation followed by Nevada, Alaska and Oregon.
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:12 pm

I don't know how much gas prices are. I drive my car as seldom as possible, put ten dollars in 2 weeks ago and I'm good for another week more or less. Take the bus to work, walk to the grocery and minor errands.
I think we Americans bitch and moan way too much about the price of gas. Europe pays way more, and in Turkey it goes for about 6 usd per gallon.
It would be a good idea to tax American consumers one dollar per gallon to pay for this war. Exempt would be commercial transit (trucks, taxis, public transportation.)
When we'd have to pay in this fashion there probably would be a way found for us to "win the peace" in short order.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Northern VA

Postby guardfish1974 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:15 pm

It's close to $2.00 for regular in Herndon, VA. Prices will rise I think after the Presidential election. and will fall once petroleum flows consistently from Iraq.
Served in the Navy on 2 nuclear attack subs. Unlike most men, I am not satisfied leading a life of quiet desperation.
guardfish1974

could not agree with you more seek

Postby DawnC71 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 pm

I could not agree with you more seek. I had a gas saving vehicle (a Volkswagen Golf) before it got totalled and I never really felt too much of a crunch as far as gas prices. However, I know people who have huge trucks like hummers and Ford F150's who are bitching and moaning constantly about the price of gasoline and I just laugh at them. If there is such a problem with gas prices, especially here in hawaii, then I dont understand why sales of SUV's are nearly the highest sales of new vehicles int he country. Especially here in Hawaii, i dont understand why anyone would buy a truck like that. I mean there are not too many places where you can really go four wheeling here because of most off road places being protected areas where you cannot drive anything anyways, and it sure as hell does not snow here; so, I dont get it.
Gas is a high dollar item these days but if people think having a cool looking vehicle so they can get "their bling on" then I have no sympathy whatsoever.
Anyways, just showing my support for your idea.
Oh and I do understand in snow ravaged areas why people would want a four wheel drive so my thoughts dont really apply to people who have to have those types of vehicles.....but take heart...as long as Global warming continues you might be abble to trade in that gas guzzler quicker than you might think....you could trade it in for one KICK ASS "SEA DOO" Jet Ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will need it!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Dawn

Oh and I cannot believe Turkey is that high for gasoline given their proximity to the middle eastern nations who produce most the oil....you would think they would get a break as far as shipping costs and all...that is a curious thing though that it would be so expensive there...do they tax the hell out of it or what?
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Re: could not agree with you more seek

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:39 pm

DawnC71 wrote:Cheers,
Dawn

Oh and I cannot believe Turkey is that high for gasoline given their proximity to the middle eastern nations who produce most the oil....you would think they would get a break as far as shipping costs and all...that is a curious thing though that it would be so expensive there...do they tax the hell out of it or what?

We (America) I believe have a high proportion of the oil reserves. Also, there is no love lost for the Turks from Arabs ........ they won't be giving any breaks to the former Ottoman occupiers.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:41 am

they won't be giving any breaks to the former Ottoman occupiers.

man, nothing like a tragic wrong committed centuries ago to come back and bite your future children right in the arse eh? They really stick it in and break it off over there if you screw them over dont they?
I hope our future children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren can forgive us for the shit we are doing nowadays. All the more reason why waging war should be a last resort.
Cuz not only will pay for this (and all the bad shit our past ancestors did) now, but so will future generations.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby roxy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:27 am

Nearly 6$ gallon. In London. We pay so much tax in Western Europe, we barely notice the increase from higher oil prices.
roxy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Renard » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:05 am

About $0.75 US/litre. I think that is roughly $2.84 US per gallon.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am

For gas prices throughout the US and Canada, including charts (compare Montral and Las Vegas if you want), check out

http://www.gasbuddy.com/
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jimbo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:25 am

In Thailand it fluctuates between 20-25 baht per litre-I think Malaysia has even lower prices-
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby RatherNotSay » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:39 am

Around here, it's $1.95 if you hunt around for the best price. $2.05 or so if you don't.

This is funny: It's not that much more expensive gallon-for-gallon to fuel my plane these days, which is highly weird. Avgas isn't cheap. But since we're still running the pumps on fuel purchased a while ago. The price won't go up to reflect the new cost until those tanks are used up.
RatherNotSay

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe