More 'Is Bush Wired?' Fun

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

More 'Is Bush Wired?' Fun

Postby Dim » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:00 am

From Salon:

ImageImage

Speculation continues to run wild about President Bush's mystery bulge. Since Friday, when Salon first raised questions about the rectangular bulge that was visible under Bush's suit coat during the presidential debates, many observers in the press and on the Internet have wondered aloud whether the verbally and factually challenged president might be receiving coaching via a hidden electronic device.

Now a technical expert who designs and makes such devices for the U.S. military and private industry tells Salon that he believes the bulge is indeed a transceiver designed to receive electronic signals and transmit them to a hidden earpiece lodged in Bush's ear canal.

"There's no question about it. It's a pretty obvious one -- larger than most because it probably has descrambling capability," said Alex Darbut, technical and business development vice president for Resistance Technology in Arden Hills, Minn. Darbut examined photographs of the president's back taken from the Fox News video feed at the first presidential debate in Coral Gables, Fla., as well as 2002 photos of the president driving and working in a T-shirt on his Crawford ranch, which were posted on the White House Web site.

Darbut speculates that the device the president wears is provided by the Secret Service, noting, "They're not going to have him driving around the countryside on his ranch without being in instant contact with him."

No one in the White House or Bush campaign, however, has offered such an explanation. In fact, the Bush camp has shed little light on the mysterious protuberance, turning aside questions with dismissive humor or rising tones of exasperation. The president is "a regular guy," White House chief of staff Andy Card told Salon's Tim Grieve before the second debate last week. "Maybe his suit had a little lump in it or something." Campaign spokeswoman Nicolle Devenish took the same line with the New York Times on Saturday: "It was most likely a rumpling of that portion of his suit jacket, or a wrinkle in the fabric." But Devenish, the Times dryly noted, "could not say why the 'rumpling' was rectangular." Campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel brushed aside a questioner in a Washington Post chat session by saying, "I think you've been spending a little too much time on conspiracy Web sites."

On Tuesday, in response to repeated questions from Salon, the Bush camp finally issued a flat denial. Campaign spokesman Reed Dickens denied that Bush has ever used an electronic device to aid his public speaking, insisting the president was wearing "nothing during the debates." When asked about the pictures taken at the Bush ranch, Dickens said the president has never used any devices except for cutting tools and earplugs to protect his ears from the high-decibel chainsaw. Nor has the Secret Service outfitted Bush with a hidden communications device, according to Dickens: "He doesn't need something like that because the Secret Service is always with him. They ride in the truck in the back. Wherever he goes, they're with him."

Despite the official denials, the bulge brouhaha is still ballooning. On Tuesday, the New York Daily News produced a master tailor named Frank Shattuck who, after viewing photos from both debates, confirmed, "There's definitely something there, in between the shoulder blades. I can't say what it is, but it's not hidden very well. They should have come to me. I can hide a pistol under the breast."

In Orlando, Florida, TV station WFTV polled its viewers, asking, “Do you believe the accusations that President George W. Bush was wired during the presidential debate?” Of 35,000 respondents, only 42 percent answered no, while 36 percent replied yes, and 22 percent said possibly.

Meanwhile, blogs, chat rooms, bulletin boards -- and Salon's letters pages -- continue to buzz with discussion about Bush's possible electronic enhancement. Reports are flying around the Web about earlier televised events where audio glitches allegedly permitted TV viewers to hear someone directing what Bush to say, including his public remarks at the Sea Island G-8 summit meeting in June, his D-day anniversary speech in France, and a New York speech following 9/11.

One thing is certain: During the final presidential debate in Tempe, Ariz., on Wednesday night, all eyes will be on Bush's back.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:09 am

There was a fine Steve Bell cartoon in the Guardian yesterday. You can find it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/stevebell/0,7371,1325238,00.html

My view is that if it is a radio device, it's a pretty stupid place to try to hide it.
And though the picture from the first debate is pretty convincing, I can't see anything on those from the second. Maybe he just has very peculiar shoulder blades.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby DawnC71 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am

I still dont care one way or the other what it might be...if it is a listening device then as I stated in a previous post, either his handlers/answer-men are even more bumbling idiots than I thought possible or his sheer ignorance and arrogance is so well intertwined that he wont even listen to whatever good advice may be passed to him via such a device.
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby doyle » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:32 pm

One question, if it is some sort of receiver, why the hell would he wear it at the tightest part of a jacket? Maybe he has spinal problems?
doyle
doyle
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:03 pm

So let me get this straight...

He has some kind of bulky receiver on his back, but that receiver has to send a wireless signal to an another receiver in an invisible earpiece (seeing we saw no wire running from his back to his ear)?

Why wouldn't he just have a small earpiece?

Maybe he doesn't have access to that kind of technology. It's not like he's a powerful man in charge of the world's largest espionage organization or anything.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Dim » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:21 pm

Maybe they didn't feel to confident about asking the CIA for technical help given recent events?

The simplest explaination is that he's wearing a back brace (how Kennedy!) or a protective vest. Unfortunately the White House has denied he wears either.

The reciever on an earpiece would have virtually no range - thus the larger unit which could also function as a descrambler. I don't understand why it wouldn't attach to his belt or go in his jacket pocket where it would be virtually undetected.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:26 pm

Dim wrote:Maybe they didn't feel to confident about asking the CIA for technical help given recent events?

The simplest explaination is that he's wearing a back brace (how Kennedy!) or a protective vest. Unfortunately the White House has denied he wears either.

The reciever on an earpiece would have virtually no range - thus the larger unit which could also function as a descrambler. I don't understand why it wouldn't attach to his belt or go in his jacket pocket where it would be virtually undetected.

Oh, I dunno, maybe because it isn't a radio receiver?
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:27 pm

Oh, I dunno, maybe because it isn't a radio receiver?

Yea, he could have scoliosis.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:28 pm

So what is it? And why is the white house denying the president has something taped between his shoulder blades when he clearly does?
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:33 pm

The world may never know the answer to this astoundingly silly mystery.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

potus

Postby muskrat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:32 pm

Its simple! Its a constant loop recording "Breathe in , breathe out, breathe in, breathe out"
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:41 pm

I guess a bullett proof vest is out?

Yea, Dim already adressed that. The White House denies that he wears any type of vest or back brace.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skirita » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:44 pm

It's a spine. Something Kerry doesn't have.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby Dim » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:45 pm

Maybe it's one of these (from TWM)

Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:47 pm

Ankylosing spondylitis?
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe