The Guardian

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The Guardian

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:43 am

Both headlines in the Guardian today

Global warming brings exotic fish to British waters but at a cost.

UK butterfly numbers fall following coldest summer in 18 years.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: The Guardian

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 am

Tards.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:40 pm

They're just trying to bury the bad news about their darling Johan Hari, who was part of the project, albeit at the Independent.

"I took out nasty passages about people I admire – like Polly Toynbee, George Monbiot, Deborah Orr and Yasmin Alibhai-Brown … but in a few instances, I edited the entries of people I had clashed with in ways that were juvenile or malicious: I called one of them antisemitic and homophobic, and the other a drunk."

Fuck it, this needs a thread all of its own
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:38 pm

The Grauniad is of course a crumbling bastion of numptitude but what I love about this is that for you, Tommy, ze summer is over, whereas here we have just got over the season of insane incineration (I have been wearing nothing but a towel most of the past 3 months, dressing only in the coolth of the evening or for in-person meetings) and now have four months of glorious breezy, sunny days interspersed with occasional bastardious, fun typhoons to look forward to. And then it's Christmas.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:59 pm

They lost their way when they dropped "Manchester" from the title

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:14 pm

You're welcome to that foreign weather. I'll stick with this kind of stuff thanks

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:22 pm

nowonmai wrote:You're welcome to that foreign weather. I'll stick with this kind of stuff thanks

Ah, summer in England
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Fenrisco » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:58 pm

nowonmai wrote:You're welcome to that foreign weather. I'll stick with this kind of stuff thanks

That's actually quite attractive in its own way. The excitement of the morning shoot is something I've enjoyed tremendously in the past, both as gun and beater.

This joi de vivre is not always infectious. I remember after a car smash on the road between Glasgow and Ayr at about 0730 one bright crisp summer morning, I was standing on the highway embankment talking to emergency services on the rescue phone. The car is gouged into the buckled central retainer and bits of glass and plastic are strewn around. The highway is deserted. A Vitara full of happy muddy camo-clad fellows draws up, on their way home from the hunt.

Driver: "Hey pal, are you that dude from the Matrix?"

Me (wearing leather trenchcoat and shades, this is a Scottish summer after all) "Yes, but keep it to yourself otherwise everyone will want one."

Driver: "Fuck aye!" (gives me a hearty thumbs up and drives off amid a chorus of "Fuck aye"s from his passengers, never to be heard from again).

I suppose it is a mark of respect when folks see one in a potentially dire situation but sense one does not need rescuing. Much like when the Taiwan mountain cops drove right past without slowing down while I was standing bleeding and yelling invective at a nice family who had side-swiped my motorcycle off the road with their SUV right at the top of the highest peak in east Asia. "Well, both parties seem to have everything in order, nothing for us here." Quite right, actually... It was the subsequent night I could've used their help, what with sunstroke, hypothermia and a bust ankle combining with total understimation of the elements to provide a nice near-death experience.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe