Sarah Grunfeld is a fuckin' moron

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Sarah Grunfeld is a fuckin' moron

Postby coldharvest » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Cameron Johnston is a professor of social sciences at York University in Canada. He is Jewish. But the bad part is, he's also a Nazi! Fire him at once! Wait... what did he say?

See, on Monday, on the first day of class, he was telling his students about acceptable and unacceptable opinions. And as an example of an unacceptable and dangerous opinion, The Toronto Star reports, he said "All Jews should be sterilized."

Well! Twenty two year-old Sarah Grunfeld, a student with poor listening skills, was not about to stand for whatever it is he just said! She stormed out of class and informed a campus Jewish group that Professor Johnston was a rabid anti-Semite. Predictable outrages ensued! And Johnston has spent all week now explaining that he actually said the opposite of what Grunfeld thought he said. Sadly, Sarah Grunfeld is this kind of person:

Grunfeld said Tuesday she may have misunderstood the context and intent of Johnston's remarks, but that fact is insignificant.

"The words, ‘Jews should be sterilized' still came out of his mouth, so regardless of the context I still think that's pretty serious."

Grunfeld also expressed skepticism that Johnston was in fact Jewish.

Asked directly by a reporter whether she believes Johnston is lying, she was unclear.

"Whether he is or is not, no one will know," she said. ". . . Maybe he thought because he is Jewish he can talk smack about other Jews."

Sarah, if you try really really hard for the rest of the year, you may come out of college smarter than you went in. It's not a good bet at this point, though.

THE NEXT DAY

Yesterday, we brought you the story of Sarah Grunfeld, the 22 year-old student at York University who ran out and publicly accused her (Jewish) sociology professor of anti-Semitism when he said the phrase "Jews should be sterilized"—as an example of a bad opinion. Grunfeld's reasoning: "The words, ‘Jews should be sterilized' still came out of his mouth, so regardless of the context I still think that's pretty serious."

So we would be remiss if we did not bring you the following STATEMENT from Sarah Grunfeld, which B'nai Brith Canada is circulating, apparently under the misguided notion that Sarah Grunfeld is deserving of sympathy. If she apologized for the simple misunderstanding, then sure. But Sarah Grunfeld is doubling down on her outrage. And victimhood!

STATEMENT BY SARAH GRUNFELD RE YORK UNIVERSITY INCIDENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO, 14 September 2011 : Sarah Grunfeld, fourth year York University student has made the following statement relating to the recent incident in Professor Cameron Johnston's class at York University, and has asked B'nai Brith Canada to circulate it to interested parties on her behalf. This statement of her position is only to be used in its entirety:

I stand by my initial concern brought to the University's attention immediately after the incident that when Professor Cameron Johnston made the abhorrent statement in his class that all Jews should be sterilized, he failed to qualify the statement clearly as an unacceptable opinion held by others. His delivery of this statement, made in a class of 450 impressionable students, was offensive to me and to others in the room.

I have since been grossly misquoted and ridiculed by the media, and attempts have been made to assign blame to me with the false claim that I simply "misheard" or "half heard" what was said. Meanwhile, the professor has not been called to account in any way for his "miscommunication".

This is in spite of the fact that in a meeting with Martin Singer, Dean, (Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies at York) and Rhonda Lenton (Vice Provost Academic), I was assured that they believed Professor Johnston was 'terribly regretful', and that they expected and would encourage him to issue an unambiguous in-class apology. I have not heard even minimal expressions of regret by Professor Johnston, and a York university representative in subsequent communications with the media, has since contradicted the assurances I was given to that effect.

It has been a very painful experience for me to see how the university has closed ranks and reneged on its assurances to me. I understand that there may have been a miscommunication, but any miscommunication was on the part of the professor, not me. The media has been complicit in allowing a false interpretation of my actions to be circulated widely, which can only have a chilling effect on the ability of students to have any kind of a voice on campus.

END OF STUDENT STATEMENT

Highlighting ours! I tried to only highlight the laughably dumb parts, but that proved to be impossible. So, the girl who didn't hear the professor say that he did not believe that "Jews should be sterilized" also did not hear "even minimal expressions of regret" from the professor. Seems consistent! Sarah Grunfeld is outraged that the lying media would claim that she "misheard" the professor's statement. The fact that she did mishear the statement will do nothing to stop Sarah Grunfeld's seething outrage. This is about students having a voice!

A voice that says "What?"
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Sarah Grunfeld is a fuckin' moron

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Is there any other ethnicity that stirs this much controversy? This really doesn't surprise me that much. You could have a group of the most rational people in the world sitting together and you mention the word "Jew" and half of them will spout off insane crap. It invokes a strange kind of ego in some people and rational thought is thrown out the window or should I say in the furnace.
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Is there any other ethnicity that stirs this much controversy?

Its a religion, not an ethnicity and no.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:29 pm

It can be construed as both. It's by far the oldest of the Abrahamic religions. As a matter of fact it's silly to lump Christianity and Islam with it. The original Jews and their religion have more in common with the religions of Indigenous folk around the planet and Buddhism as well might add.. Others took it and distorted it...especially Europeans. They've been in Russia for 2500 years. Continuous pogroms against them over thousands of years bred a different kind of animal. This discussion has the potential to go on forever.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

The irony is that the selection pressures humanity brought on certain groups is now affecting all of humanity. These selection pressures are intensifying exponentially as globalization proceeds.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:40 pm

These are examples of typical banter bandied about in most college and university administrative lounges with regards to this topic.
Sri Lanky

Postby LechoZX » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Is there any other ethnicity that stirs this much controversy? This really doesn't surprise me that much. You could have a group of the most rational people in the world sitting together and you mention the word "Jew" and half of them will spout off insane crap. It invokes a strange kind of ego in some people and rational thought is thrown out the window or should I say in the furnace.

Or try talking to some Jews and say the words "Hitler" or "Holocaust" and see how much fun that is. It appears Sarah Grunfeld is one of those.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:32 pm

I don't get too uncomfortable with it....but sometimes I have to admit that I do. If people don't know you are Jewish or part Jew (as in my case) and they say something I let it go but then I never tell them I'm part Jew. I keep that primarily to myself. Had one bad experience at work because it was one of my superiors....it just wouldn't stop. One time in Holland I was talking to a guy from England and I mentioned I was part Russian Jew and he said that changed everything and he walked away.....don't know if he was scared of Russian mobsters (there are a lot in Amsterdam) or if he just disdained Jews. No matter,most people aren't ignorant...these days.
Sri Lanky

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow, Sarah Grunfeld is a moron.

But we have set up a system to make more Sarah Grunfeld's than we do real independent thinkers.

Way to commit suicide western world! wooo hooo!

The Civilization, in spite of some faults here and there, has blessed us with relative freedom and prosperity must now be destroyed by little yips to spare feelings with a zero tolerance for hurt feelings policy everywhere.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 am

Interesting that a school in Chiang Mai just held a Nazi parade in which one girl was designated as Hitler. It was in today's BKK Post. When I first saw the article I figured right away that they probably thought the uniforms are cool and that they aren't fully aware of the big picture which in the article it stated that they weren't. Still,what about the administration? I just so happen to be on my way to Chiang Mai in about an hour and if I had been in CM for the parade it may have been one of those things that make me uncomfortable. But,as usual we can chalk this up to ignorance. Every developing country goes through a proto-fascist phase,doesn't it?.....any country can become proto-fascist at anytime.....developing or not. But maybe that's an overstatement.....or not? As I mentioned,the article is in the Bangkok Post.
Sri Lanky

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Interesting that a school in Chiang Mai just held a Nazi parade in which one girl was designated as Hitler. It was in today's BKK Post. When I first saw the article I figured right away that they probably thought the uniforms are cool and that they aren't fully aware of the big picture which in the article it stated that they weren't. Still,what about the administration? I just so happen to be on my way to Chiang Mai in about an hour and if I had been in CM for the parade it may have been one of those things that make me uncomfortable. But,as usual we can chalk this up to ignorance. Every developing country goes through a proto-fascist phase,doesn't it?.....any country can become proto-fascist at anytime.....developing or not. But maybe that's an overstatement.....or not? As I mentioned,the article is in the Bangkok Post.

The administration didn't know what the theme was going to be. The students kept it under wraps until the big event. They exhibited excellent nazi-like discipline in this regard.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 am

lol..Yes,it is another one of those moments of diametrically opposed thought. From the Buddhist angle this is good for breaking down rational thought. At one end the humour and at the other end the horror.... but in the middle is where the torment can occur.
Sri Lanky

Postby LechoZX » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:10 pm

The Izzys must not have heard of the parade yet:

Israel wants Taiwan 7-Eleven to drop Hitler lookalike

The de facto Israeli embassy in Taiwan Tuesday called on 7-Eleven to remove products sporting a Hitler lookalike, but the convenience store chain said it had not yet decided if it would do so.

The appeal came after key rings and magnets, featuring an Adolf Hitler-style cartoon figure with what appeared to be a short black moustache, emerged at several 7-Eleven outlets across the island.

During an interview with local reporters Tuesday, Simona Halperin, the representative of the Israel Economic and Cultural Office in Taipei, said she hoped to see the controversial items removed from the shelves.

President Chain Store Corp, which runs 7-Eleven in Taiwan, said it had not decided if it would remove the products, but denied the images were meant to represent the German dictator.

"It's not a moustache, but a nose," a company official said, referring to the black square in the middle of the figure's face. On Monday, she had described the black spot as a "tooth".

Mark Lee, a blogger who created the cartoon figure, told AFP late Monday that the creation was indeed inspired by Hitler, but said he had no intention of promoting Nazi ideology.

East Asian pop culture and commercial art has a long history of fascination with Hitler and the Nazis.

Occasionally, Hitler turns up in Asian advertisement campaigns, and in the 1990s a pub called "Nazi Bar" was briefly in operation in Taipei.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:47 pm

anyone else want to play a google prank? Well, not a prank as a falsehood but a prank where we link to this thread with the word "Sarah Grunfeld" in it and that way the 'bots will get the bfc as the number one source of Sarah Grunfeld fun fax.

I will start so that I may lead by example.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 am

http://gawker.com/sarah-grunfeld/

It is apparently not her fault at all...or so she says.

Perpetual victimhood may read like a hagiography when we revert to the Middle Ages again...but this time it will be a secular piety that was even more restrictive than the Catholic church ever was.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe