Council gives Guy Fawkes new name

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Council gives Guy Fawkes new name

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 am

A London council's plan to rename its official Guy Fawkes night fireworks display was today branded "political correctness gone mad".

Southwark wants to dispense with the traditional name and call its £55,000 event "The Colour Thief: A Winter Extravaganza Celebrating The Changing Of The Seasons".

But the proposals have been ridiculed by opponents, who said the Labour-run council's plans were "bonkers".

The event, due to take place in Dulwich Park on November 4, is the only official fireworks display this year in the borough after the number of public events was slashed from 12 to three because of funding cuts.

But today council bosses were in disarray over the plans in the face of mounting criticism. A spokesman initially claimed there was no re-branding of the display, and that this year's fireworks night would just be around the "theme" of The Colour Thief.

But Veronica Ward, Southwark's cabinet member for culture, leisure and sport, insisted that the new name was correct and that it was chosen as they were combining a number of festivals into one because of the cuts.

She said: "It is shorthand (for fireworks night). It is an event and festival around an artistic proposal that involves some fireworks." She added there was no backtracking over the name, and that the confusion around the one-hour event was "unfortunate".

A public consultation over the proposals is now taking place.

James Barber, Liberal Democrat councillor for East Dulwich, said he could not believe the plans.
He said: "It is bonkers. You could not make it up.

"They have decided that Bonfire Night is just not their thing - it is political correctness gone mad. It is an incredibly stupid decision."

It is understood council bosses expect as many as 2,000 people to attend the celebration - taking place a day before the actual Guy Fawkes night of November 5 - which is also expected to include a carnival with schoolchildren.

Lib Dem Dulwich councillor Robin Crookshank Hilton said the council were trying to cover up the gaffe after underestimating opposition to changing the name.

She said: "It is a one hour event over Guy Fawkes weekend. They did a politically correct thing because they didn't want to upset anyone and wanted to make it a light festival celebration.
"Now they are backtracking wildly."

It is not the first time bureaucrats have tried to rename traditional events. In 2005 Lambeth Council caused outrage when it renamed its Christmas lights "Winter Lights", apparently for fear of offending other faiths.

And in 1998 Christmas was apparently rebranded "Winterval" in Birmingham - although the council insists it was simply a promotional campaign to drive business into its newly regenerated town centre.

In 2005 Lambeth caused anger when it renamed its Christmas lights "winter lights.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Council gives Guy Fawkes new name

Postby nowonmai » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:00 am

It probably does need updating. Logically we should call it Mohammed Siddique Khan night.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

....penny for the Mohammed guv?
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:29 pm

When did the retards take over?
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:42 pm

friendlyskies wrote:When did the retards take over?

around the advent of industrialisation
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Return to Black Flag Cafe