Canada

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Canada

Postby LechoZX » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:51 pm

B.C. woman hits moose on way to visit sister who hit moose

Postmedia News Jun 22, 2010 – 7:40 PM ET | Last Updated: Jul 13, 2010 3:38 PM ET

Two sisters from the northwestern B.C. community of Kitimat have both had close encounters with moose on the loose.

A month ago, Yvonne Studley, 49, was badly injured when she hit a moose with her vehicle, so last Friday her sister decided to visit her in Vancouver General Hospital.

But sister Connie Everitt, 51, also hit a moose and ended up in hospital.

In the first accident a month ago, Studley was on her way home from a business trip when a moose ran in front of her car.

The animal went through the windshield and landed on her, breaking her wrist, arm and hand, fracturing five of her ribs and causing bleeding in her brain.

The pregnant moose died near the collision.

When Studley came out of her coma, Everitt and her husband Steve decided to visit her.

She and her husband were in two cars last Friday afternoon. Everitt, in the first car, was going around a corner near 70 Mile House, B.C., when she saw “a brown blur.”

“I knew right away it was a moose,” she said. “I slammed on the brakes with both my feet.”

“It was like two explosions.”

She was taken to the hospital in nearby 100 Mile House, B.C., with mostly soft-tissue injuries.

The coincidence of hitting a moose just like her sister “really threw me for a loop.”

“My first thought was, ‘Are the moose going out [on a] hunting season for my family?”’ Everitt said.

Moose are involved in about 8% of all wildlife vehicle collisions, according to the Wildlife Collision Prevention Program’s website.

“Moose will often try to avoid vehicles by running along a highway,” added Jeff Knight, spokesman for B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation.

“If it’s safe to do so, it’s best to pull over or slow down until the animal leaves the road.”

Everitt was released from hospital Saturday, and Monday visited her sister, who she said was getting better.

“You can never tell when a moose or some other wildlife will run out in front of you,” she said. “My sister almost died from this. If I’d had anyone as my passenger, they would have died.”

Vancouver Province

Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Re: Canada

Postby nowonmai » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Dear Canada, if you pay my airfare and accommodation for 3 months, 10,000 rounds of ammunition, a quad bike, a light aircraft fitted with TI and a radio link with the pilot (actually just give me 24/7 Predator coverage) then I will make a significant dent in your moose population. Obviously your own hunters are failing to do their job. Losers.

Oh and I want 2 weeks R&R in Montreal too.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:39 am

nowonmai wrote:Dear Canada, if you pay my airfare and accommodation for 3 months, 10,000 rounds of ammunition, a quad bike, a light aircraft fitted with TI and a radio link with the pilot (actually just give me 24/7 Predator coverage) then I will make a significant dent in your moose population. Obviously your own hunters are failing to do their job. Losers.

Oh and I want 2 weeks R&R in Montreal too.

You forgot lots of beer and to hang out with Don Cherry...
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 am

Why would anyone want to hang out with that asshole?
Sri Lanky

Postby LechoZX » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 am

Said Cherry on HNIC: "The ones that I am really disgusted with — and I hate to say this when the kids are listening —with (what) Georges Laraque said about (fighting) … but the bunch of pukes that fought before: Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson. 'Oh, the reason that they're drinking (or using) drugs and alcoholic is because they fight.' You turncoats. You hypocrites. It's one thing I'm not, it's a hypocrite."
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby HockeyGuy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:Why would anyone want to hang out with that asshole?

The same reason why you'd watch the Jets lose...entertainment.
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:40 am

HockeyGuy wrote:
Sri Lanky wrote:Why would anyone want to hang out with that asshole?

The same reason why you'd watch the Jets lose...entertainment.

BOOM.......headshot

GO LEAFS!!!!!
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby HockeyGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Leafs 1
Jets 0

Helluva game last night though...

Go Leafs!
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe