the euphemism on my nerves

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

the euphemism on my nerves

Postby friendlyskies » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54 am

transitional government forces

Like nails on a fucking blackboard. Transitional government forces are, you know, the Libyan "rebels." Who are trained by Qatar, armed by various Western entities, and have leadership that "fought alongside" al-Qaeda against US troops.

That's not a government, that's a mess. And the term was so obviously concocted by the Pentagon versions of people who name cars, that it makes me want to punch kittens. But it's worse - the the private sector gives us "Lexus" and "Ram Tough" and "Scion," while these guys come up with "Operation Infinite Justice," "TWOT," "warlord" and now, "transitional government forces." Come on, at least try! This is for the history books, literally.

Yes, of course, it does conjure up a positive image of this shiny new government moving into the offices in Tripoli, and taking over the paperwork left behind by the previous administration. It could be a sitcom. Habib and Mustafa, trying to figure out how the printer works, when suddenly hilarity ensues. Miriam, the token woman on the show, rushes in and fixes it for them, proving once again that women can be helpful in New Libya. Oh, time to send some "forces" to Sirte! Get the uniforms everyone, so we'll be covered by the Geneva Convention!

Which is my point. It's just stupid. I know, I know, they can't call them "Islamic Extremists" or "warlords," or "enemy combatants," that defeats the purpose. Even "rebels" is a little bit touchy these days, what with all this Occupy Wall Street nonsense going on. But isn't there SOMETHING less retarded than "transitional government force"?
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: the euphemism on my nerves

Postby nowonmai » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 pm

nowonmai wrote:Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?

Better hurry up.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 am

Woodsman wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?

Better hurry up.

Bring it on. All the best things happen at night.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59FntObgek[/youtube]
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Glassgost » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:15 am

I guess Conquerors, Victors, and Winners were taken.
Glassgost

Return to Black Flag Cafe