Why We Fight

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Why We Fight

Postby Prodigal Son » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:16 pm

http://www.klastv.com/Global/story.asp?s=2421595

George Knapp, Investigative Reporter
Voter Registrations Possibly Trashed

(Oct. 12) -- Employees of a private voter registration company allege that hundreds, perhaps thousands of voters who may think they are registered will be rudely surprised on election day. The company claims hundreds of registration forms were thrown in the trash.

Anyone who has recently registered or re-registered to vote outside a mall or grocery store or even government building may be affected.

The I-Team has obtained information about an alleged widespread pattern of potential registration fraud aimed at Democrats. The focus of the story is a private registration company called Voters Outreach of America, AKA America Votes.

The out-of-state firm has been in Las Vegas for the past few months, registering voters. It employed up to 300 part-time workers and collected hundreds of registrations per day, but former employees of the company say that Voters Outreach of America only wanted Republican registrations.

Two former workers say they personally witnessed company supervisors rip up and trash registration forms signed by Democrats.

"We caught her taking Democrats out of my pile, handed them to her assistant and he ripped them up right in front of us. I grabbed some of them out of the garbage and she tells her assisatnt to get those from me," said Eric Russell, former Voters Outreach employee.

Eric Russell managed to retrieve a pile of shredded paperwork including signed voter registration forms, all from Democrats. We took them to the Clark County Election Department and confirmed that they had not, in fact, been filed with the county as required by law.

So the people on those forms who think they will be able to vote on Election Day are sadly mistaken. We attempted to speak to Voters Outreach but found that its office has been rented out to someone else.

The landlord says Voters Outreach was evicted for non-payment of rent. Another source said the company has now moved on to Oregon where it is once again registering voters. It's unknown how many registrations may have been tossed out, but another ex-employee told Eyewitness News she had the same suspicions when she worked there.

It's going to take a while to sort all of this out, but the immediate concern for voters is to make sure you really are registered.

Call the Clark County Election Department at 455-VOTE orclick here to see if you are registered.

The company has been largely, if not entirely funded, by the Republican National Committee. Similar complaints have been received in Reno where the registrar has asked the FBI to investigate.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Voter registration is done by private companies in the US? Well, no wonder it's so open to abuse.

Do people in other countries find that weird, as I do?
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Aegis » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:35 pm

Penta wrote:Voter registration is done by private companies in the US? Well, no wonder it's so open to abuse.

Do people in other countries find that weird, as I do?

Not usually, and in my opinion you would have to be an idiot to trust to individuals you don't know to handle things like this.

On my campus there are plenty of people from the voter registration drives roaming about. A friend of mine (who was already registered, but wanted to fuck around with one of the canvasers' minds) tried to get her to register him as a Republican. She refused to give him a registration card.

The moral of the story is, if you need to register, go to town hall or the county offices and do it the proper way. If anyone offers to register you, or deliver your ballot to the proper authorities, or any other such thing, ignore them.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby media » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:38 pm

Where's Jimmy Carter?
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Piggs » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:18 am

media wrote:Where's Jimmy Carter?

Who Cares
ImageImage
Piggs
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:25 am

Someone on CNN said they worked for a company that was paying them 2.00 for every voter registration form they got filled out...so the chick said she signed herself up twenty-five times in one day and made 50 bucks...Ahhhhh...capitalism!!!!!!!
Who was it that said Capitalism has the potential to do either the greatest good in the world or the Worst evil?? I think it was Adam Smith but I cannot remember.
Anyways, it was an interesting story about just how corrupt our free and democratic elections are becoming.
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby unklenastie » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:27 am

They should have just registered at their local Board of Elections office. Then they wouldnt have to worry about someone screwing with their right to vote. If they dont get to vote, its their own damn fault. Oh and are there charges pending against these clowns for what they did to the idiots that came to register through them? Just wondering. Is there even a law against this sort of thing? There has to be one on the books somewhere. I mean, some towns still have no spitting on the sidewalk and no cursing on Sunday laws, so there should be one against this too.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

unklenastie

Return to Black Flag Cafe