Is voting compulsory/optional where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Buzzsaw » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:56 pm

Why do I have to go through all the trouble of going to the polls and waiting ten minutes for the octagenerain to find my name on the roster if I'm just going to vote "none of the above"?

Now if they just had a box labeled "straight ticket whitey", that would be a lot easier.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Renard » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:19 pm

Maybe in the not-so-distant future, you won't have to wait. I file my taxes online; I don't expect voting will be too far behind.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:24 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:Why do I have to go through all the trouble of going to the polls and waiting ten minutes for the octagenerain to find my name on the roster if I'm just going to vote "none of the above"?

Now if they just had a box labeled "straight ticket whitey", that would be a lot easier.

Oregon conducts all voting by absentee ballots. So I can vote in the comfort of my own home. No octogenarian polling place volunteers, no turning people away from the polling place, I just fill out the ballot and drive/walk down to the county offices to drop it off (you can also mail the ballot in).

God I love this state.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Renard » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:30 pm

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, or exaggerating, but in Oregon you can euthanize the octagenerians once they've outlived their utility.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:38 pm

God, we americans are so fricking lazy....get up off your asses and go vote....even if it is for none of the above....jeeze, this remote controlled, dont-make-me-get-off-my-ass-to-check-the-mail-even type mentality is exactly why many in the world think Americans are soft, stupid and gullible. No wonder we are the fattest-assed people in the world
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:48 pm

voting is optional in Canada and I voted for the first time in the last election. I dunno what prompted me to do that as we all knew who would win. And I was sober.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Ok

Postby Bronco » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:10 pm

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, or exaggerating, but in Oregon you can euthanize the octagenerians once they've outlived their utility.

Yeah, Renard, you're wrong.

Oregonians can leave any time they want if they can document that they have a terminal illness which would cause them to suffer, but euthanazia is not allowed any more than in other states. Oregon has voted on this issue several times and has won in court against the Federal Gov't . About 2/3 of the population has passed this bill and it is the will of the people. Only a few people have actually taken advantage of it, and they were well policed to assure that there was no abusive misuse of the system. Basically, if someone wants to die they can do so, but they have to prove their case.

People from out of state can't use the Right to Die in Oregon.

There is a similar law in The Netherlands, and it has not been abused, either, although several organizations who wish to interfere with other people's lives have made claims that it was misused.
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:13 pm

I think I may get drunk and flip a coin when I go.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby unklenastie » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:19 pm

I dont even know why I even registered to vote. All politicians are idiots. They all lie, cheat, and steal. I might as well do what ya said Carnie and get drunk and flip a coin. I got enough in the fridge to do the job.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

unklenastie

Postby Buzzsaw » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:29 pm

Has Kerry decided who he's going to vote for yet?
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:32 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:Has Kerry decided who he's going to vote for yet?

Badnarik?
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Buzzsaw » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Kerry: [in pompous, stentorian voice] I have a plan. On election day, I will go to the poll, and I will cast my vote for a better America. Unlike this President, we have a plan. I have never wavered on the issue of who I would vote for. I made a mistake in the way I talked about voting, but never in my position on who I would vote for.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

In Canada

Postby SRR » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:41 pm

Voting is entirely optional and even if you do vote your ballots are automatically thrown out and the Liberal Party of Ontario declared the victor. This is just common law right now but they are trying to get it passed through legislation. They just need to create a new law to suck more tax revenues from Alberta to do it, and that's on the table too.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby patriot » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:57 pm

Bush: [in a whispy, faux-Texan accent] September eleventh has changed the way Americans think about voting. Voting has become a perilous and uncertain practice in which Americans are the target of alternative candidates. These alternative candidates wish to destroy our way of life as relayed to us by our intelligence community. This intelligence is entirely credible and must be taken deadly seriously. We have to take the fight to the alternative candidates so we don't have to fight them at the ballots. We've gotta stay the course, and there's gonna be a lot of hard work ahead, but we can never stray, even if our reasoning and rationale are completely and totally discredited.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Re: Ok

Postby Renard » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:32 am

Bronco wrote:

Yeah, Renard, you're wrong.

Oregonians can leave any time they want if they can document that they have a terminal illness which would cause them to suffer, but euthanazia is not allowed any more than in other states. Oregon has voted on this issue several times and has won in court against the Federal Gov't . About 2/3 of the population has passed this bill and it is the will of the people. Only a few people have actually taken advantage of it, and they were well policed to assure that there was no abusive misuse of the system. Basically, if someone wants to die they can do so, but they have to prove their case.

People from out of state can't use the Right to Die in Oregon.

There is a similar law in The Netherlands, and it has not been abused, either, although several organizations who wish to interfere with other people's lives have made claims that it was misused.

I was just having fun Bronco. The whole correct me if i'm exaggerating should have suggested that.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe