bullshit in the UK

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: bullshit in the UK

Postby Fansy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:58 pm

nowonmai wrote:
Fansy wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Sheffield, Manchester and everything in between and nearby are shitholes and trains are full of nutters/down and outs and British people ignore them at all costs on the basis that you'll probably get sued or punched for intervening?

there's no point in helping if there's no risk involved

You styling yourself to be the first misogynistic antisuperhero? What was an unusual trip for you and the exciting opportunity to freestyle in front of future ex-wife's rellies was daily bread and butter for them. Like all veterans do they have reached the stage where they don't stop for the wounded or to gawp at the bodies. You'll get there.

yes im a hero, always have been. it was my relatives on the train, not hers. not stopping for the wounded when youre young and able is being a pussy.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:58 pm

flipflop wrote:This is England, take it or leave it, I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere else

there are warmer places with better weather. why wouldnt you want to be in those places, at least for 6-8 months out of the year.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Fansy wrote:
flipflop wrote:This is England, take it or leave it, I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere else

there are warmer places with better weather. why wouldnt you want to be in those places, at least for 6-8 months out of the year.

Because they are full of headcases.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Fansy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:13 pm

and the UK isnt
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Fansy wrote:

Too many foreign cunts. Don't get me wrong, I love travel and knocking about abroad, mixing with the locals and all that carry on; but the British are the best people on Earth, and I've learned to appreciate what we are when I meet all kinds of daft/horrible cunts overseas. Just plain weird. The closest to us are the Aussies, if I had to move somewhere for the weather it would be there.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:06 pm

I always liked the crappy weather in England. Too much sun makes you content and then that makes you stupid. In the US we have people who move from one crappy weather state to a good weather state simply for the weather and they are always morons. That is why Florida is a bit odd. It has all the people from the North who cannot figure out how to wear a sweater and a coat at the same time. I suppose in England if they want to get out of the weather they have to have a bit more money and move to ..uh. Spain or something.

As far as the best people on earth...well, I think that is the same thing I have with the USA. I even love our bible bangers, horrid bankers, snake handlers, portly blue haired ladies and all of it. I love to make fun of them of course, but I can understand the love you have for your louts.

As far as "best people to take a long plane ride with" though, Brits and most Americans tend to be the worst. Brits are always drunk (if the booze is free) and acting like they are on an unsupervised trip for school and Americans are always overflowing in their seats like some sort of lard spill at a rendering plant...and since they either travel often or never, they are either telling you what you should do when you arrive at your destination or worried that they will be kidnapped or ripped off by an taxi driver and once you make the mistake of responding to them they chatter at you the whole time.

So based on "sitting next to people on an airplane" I would rate the best people in the world as the Dutch. A Dutchman has never made me want to strangle him on an airplane. They are always svelte and polite. Not prudish but not intoxicated either.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:10 pm

I've had far worse experiences with South Asians and Arabs on airplanes than I have with Americans or Brits. But I'd rather be on a plane full of Scandinavians any day.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I've had far worse experiences with South Asians and Arabs on airplanes than I have with Americans or Brits. But I'd rather be on a plane full of Scandinavians any day.

The folks from the Indian subcontinent are always pleasant to chat with but they have so much crap with them and they have no concept of "this is your area and this is my area" and that makes them annoying.

I have no idea why Arabs always, always have to try to congregate in back of the plane to chit chat. No wonder the 9/11 hijackers did that so often on their trial run because they figured that was what people did. Notice is given to unfasten seatbelts and they run to the back of the plane and start conversing with their arms flailing about. Someone really needs to tell them to stop acting like hijackers.

I hear they have a problem with fatties now like we do in the USA, but the ones who live in NYC are always quite trim.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Fansy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:34 pm

flipflop wrote:The closest to us are the Aussies, if I had to move somewhere for the weather it would be there.

As an american i feel the same way about australia. but i live in southern united states so my weather is mostly to my likin. if i was stuck in some shithole like boston or NY (i think both still further south than the furthest southern tip of the UK mainland) I'd be needin to migrate south. if im not in like a perfect mood and feelin physically energetic, cold weather breaks me down into a little bitch in like 5 secs. i guess other ppl dont have that problem so weather issues arent necessarily a commanding factor for their overall happiness/joy in life.

and if you fuckin brits didnt get it i love sheffield/UIK, the best things/decisions in my life happened there, but there are still fuckin shithole issues that need to be ridiculed once in awhile esp. by americans who are the best.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:38 pm

the only problem with ppl on trains/planes are the SMELLS of the ppl around you and the SIZE and reCLINING FUCKING SEATS of the sitting areas. i have no fucking idea what shitty genius decided it would be a good idea to put reclinin seats on airplanes. some ppl are tall and theres always fatties next to you fattin up the place. and with the smells brown foreigners are the fuckin worst. indians esp. GOD why the fuck cant they just put deodorant on for one day in their life, the day they decided to ride across the globe in my airspace. just fuckin do it brown foreign ppl everywhere. the civilised world thanks you. and wash your goddam feet too. jesus these ppl weren't born with any discriminating olfactory organs.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm

So the only question I have to ask you is when are you going to start carrying a fucking flashlight?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Kurt wrote:the ones who live in NYC are always quite trim.

Same in London and every other megatropolis. They walk everywhere because hardly anyone owns a car.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Fansy - Nice job for trying to minimize that guys problems with his seizures.

I have a dog with epilepsy. Every 6 months or so he goes into a bout of seizures. It's not fun to watch. I can imagine how people can be totally freaked out by that, but staring forward seems like a very strange reaction for sure. Not sure what would happen if the same thing happened on a train here - probably people would react in panic more than ignoring it. Ultimately, there are some of us around that will move to help others because that is what needs done.

I notice more differences between urban and rural lifestyles than I notice between UK and US lifestyles.

Similarly, I notice more differences between individuals than I do societies.

A good person to travel with is an individual who acts on his respect and regard for another. If one could work out this one defect in individuals, we would probably have most of societies problems solved worldwide. I suppose you could stereotype a particular culture for its propensity to have more or less of these individuals, but I think that would be wrong.

As for body odor - there is no question it is a cultural issue. Soap goes a long way toward that problem. Deodorant solves it. There maybe a few people where it simply doesn't work, but that's not who we are talking about. Indians, Paks, related regions culture probably don't even know they stink since they grew up in an environment where those smells are their "norms".

There is definitely less violence in the UK. I mean WAY less violence. Anywhere in the US is a dangerous place compared to UK based on what I saw. I watched some TV in the hotel and one was this show about the most feared men in the U.K. That was an absolutely idiotic show, but it somewhat highlighted the difference between our societies.

Quest is the best cable channel I saw in London. It had some good fishing shows on it and other cool stuff. BBC is pretty good with the news I thought.

UK's version of the US "COPS" is laughable in terms of the lack of violence. The idea of cops without guns is weird. It's a great concept, but to me it's just weird. That gun is there for good reason.

While I was in London, I heard of one person being stabbed. I expect there were at least half a dozen shot in Detroit alone during that same time, though I don't know.

I didn't hear one person being rude to another one in London during my entire trip (though I did see one guy make a violent reference to stomping on a baby in a carriage to one of his buddies that started to stir up my feelings of him needing an ass kicking - but at the time I was on a mission, and since these guys were from different countries, not sure if I misunderstood his gesture). 2 days at Disney world (an equally heavily populated place only in Florida), I saw at least half a dozen events where people were yelling at each other coming close to getting into a fight. IIRC, most of these were women.

I watched a mother and father (definitely English) sort out their children for behavior on the bus. It was just a little different than what I see (or not) with American families with young kids.

I think there are a whole lot more similarities compared to differences between the cultures, but granted you've spent a lot more time there to get the full picture than I have.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Kurt wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:I've had far worse experiences with South Asians and Arabs on airplanes than I have with Americans or Brits. But I'd rather be on a plane full of Scandinavians any day.

The folks from the Indian subcontinent are always pleasant to chat with but they have so much crap with them and they have no concept of "this is your area and this is my area" and that makes them annoying.

Yes, that and the smells. My last flight to Heathrow (or maybe out of...can't remember) I was stuck in the middle row, middle seat surrounded by their crap. But yes, they were indeed very pleasant and nice people, which is the only thing that kept me sane.

I have no idea why Arabs always, always have to try to congregate in back of the plane to chit chat. No wonder the 9/11 hijackers did that so often on their trial run because they figured that was what people did. Notice is given to unfasten seatbelts and they run to the back of the plane and start conversing with their arms flailing about. Someone really needs to tell them to stop acting like hijackers.

I hear they have a problem with fatties now like we do in the USA, but the ones who live in NYC are always quite trim.

I should probably clarify that I'm speaking mostly of gulf Arabs who leave their five nightmare children with the powerless nanny and do nothing when their kids are running around the cabin screaming. My two most pleasant flights into or out of LHR I was sitting next to and Englishman on one and an Egyptian on the other. They were both very pleasant people
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Oh yah, the Subcontinent ones tend to sweat curry. I always worry that during a long flight I might be sitting next to someone who can smell my diet through my pores and as they see me approaching they pray to Vishnu or whatever and say "please don't have Mr. Milk-Stink sit next to me...awwww crap! bacon too. Why do you eat something that wallows in mud pinky?"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe