Hey Prodigal: That voter intimidation thing

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Hey Prodigal: That voter intimidation thing

Postby Tarkan » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:55 pm

And you wonder why I'm skeptical of claims of voter intimidation by Democrats.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby coolio » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:20 pm

If only Drudge applied the same level of skepticism he had towards the CBS memos...oh well, goes to show that the right can eat this shit up too.

Can't wait to hear more about fonts in the coming weeks!
coolio

Postby Tarkan » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:22 pm

coolio wrote:If only Drudge applied the same level of skepticism he had towards the CBS memos...oh well, goes to show that the right can eat this shit up too.

Poor coolio. Feeling disenfranchised because you can barely read the balot?
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby coolio » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:27 pm

Tarkan wrote:
coolio wrote:If only Drudge applied the same level of skepticism he had towards the CBS memos...oh well, goes to show that the right can eat this shit up too.

Poor coolio. Feeling disenfranchised because you can barely read the balot?

Dude, that was so funny. I just sprayed Kool Aid out my nose and all over my Legos.
coolio

Postby Prodigal Son » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:29 pm

IF that's a real document then it should be of just as much concern as any other attempt to tamper with the vote.

I still think, however, that the Florida felon-voter list only having 300 or so hispanics on an overwhelmingly black list is bit cause for concern, don't you? Especially in a state where hispanic = Cuban = GOP voter.

But, hey, that's not fact, just another attempt at "spin" by the liberal media.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:44 pm

Prodigal Son wrote:IF that's a real document then it should be of just as much concern as any other attempt to tamper with the vote.

I still think, however, that the Florida felon-voter list only having 300 or so hispanics on an overwhelmingly black list is bit cause for concern, don't you? Especially in a state where hispanic = Cuban = GOP voter.

But, hey, that's not fact, just another attempt at "spin" by the liberal media.

It's a real document. FWIW, the DNC is saying drudge is "mischaracterizing" the document.

And to your point, yes, it's a concern. I think any substantiated case of vote fraud should be ruthlessly prosecuted regardless of what side of the aisle the perpetrators are.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Prodigal Son » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:50 pm

Then let the feds have at it then.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:55 pm

Uhhh.... Tarkan....

Maybe you want to read the whole pamphlet, as opposed to Matt Drudge's "Highlights"

Courtesy of another message board. I'll post a link when I find it.

the DNC wrote:FULL EXCERPT OF DNC FIELD MANUAL ON HOW TO PREVENT AND COMBAT VOTER INTIMIDATION

I. WHAT TO LOOK FOR

In general, the goal of minority voter intimidation programs is either to provide a basis for challenging the right of people to vote just before election day or when they show up at the polls, and/or to create doubt, confusion and fear among voters about their right to vote or the location at which they can vote.

Prior to Election Day

Activities that may take place in the weeks or days leading up to election day can include:

1. Mass mailing targeted to minority communities aimed at using letters returned as undeliverable as a basis for challenging voters (on or prior to election day) based on change of residence

2. Mailings, signs, and/or phone calls targeted or concentrated in minority communities

• Providing "information" about the requirements for voting, for example, that persons not current on child support payments will not be eligible to vote, or that persons who have recently moved will not be eligible

• Providing "information" about what questions will be asked or documentation requested of voters at the polls in order to vote, e.g., that proof of citizenship will be required, or that a drivers license or lease will be required to prove residence

• Giving warnings about election offenses, i.e., that voting when ineligible to do so, or voting at the wrong place, or providing false information to election officials, etc. is a crime

• Suggesting that polling places have been changed

3. Any variation of the above in Spanish, targeted to, or appearing in, Latino communities

4. Complaints filed by Republican Party or candidates with election authorities (or police or other authorities) about volunteer registrars registering minority voters illegally

5. Attempts to encourage voters in minority communities to throw away mail-in ballots

6. Attempts to coerce voters in minority communities to turn over endorsed absentee ballots On Election Day

Activities that take place on election day itself may include:

1. Signs, posters, phone calls, and/or sound trucks giving "information" or warnings about voter requirements or eligibility and/or warning that voting when ineligible to do so is an offense, etc.

2. Concentration of numbers of Republican poll watchers or challengers in minority precincts

3. Republican poll watchers challenging every voter in minority precincts on some pretext

4. GOP poll watchers, local law enforcement officers, or persons with official looking badges or insignia stationed at polling places taking pictures, asking for names, or engaging in other types of intimidating conduct.

5. Other persons deliberately placed at polling places to harass or hassle voters

6. Efforts to create longer lines in the polls, targeted in minority communities, through means such as limiting the number of registration books; deliberately sending unregistered voters into certain polling places to create confusion and delay and/or create a scene, and thereby slow down voting at those polling places

7. Changing polling locations close to election day

8. Slower responses to voting machine breakdowns in minority precincts

II. HOW TO ORGANIZE TO PREVENT AND COMBAT VOTER INTIMIDATION
The best way to combat minority voter intimidation tactics is to prevent them from occurring in the first place and prepare in advance to deal with them should they take place on election day.

1. If there are any signs of present or expected intimidation activity, in advance of election day, launch a press program that might include the following elements:

• Prepare and distribute to the press (or have available at a press conference, see below) materials giving the background and history of GOP minority voter intimidation, with emphasis on past activity in your state or district.

• Devise separate press strategies for mainstream and specialty press:

i. Mainstream press: Consider a press conference
— Featuring a prominent mainstream spokesperson (priest, civic leader, business leader)
— Including a group of established community leaders behind that spokesperson, but with only one person giving a statement
— Emphasizing a message of outrage, but designed to appeal to the broader community: "We thought this community was better than that", "We thought those days were behind us", "Nothing is more despicable than trying to deprive any American of the precious right to vote, the foundation of our democracy for which so many have sacrificed."
— Impugning the source of divisiveness – the GOP, the opposing candidate, whoever can credibly be said to be behind it
— Include call to action

ii. Specialty press
— Use minority intimidation as an organizing tool: in a press conference and/or press materials, community leadership should call on the community to rise up against the efforts to disenfranchise them by turning out in record numbers and challenging any effort at intimidation
— Link this fight to the historical fights to enfranchise minorities, going back to the civil rights struggle.

2. If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a "pre-emptive strike" (particularly well-suited to states in which there techniques have been tried in the past).

• Issue a press release

i. Reviewing Republican tactic used in the past in your area or state

ii. Quoting party/minority/civil rights leadership as denouncing tactics that discourage people from voting

• Prime minority leadership to discuss the issue in the media; provide talking points

• Place stories in which minority leadership expresses concern about the threat of intimidation tactics

• Warn local newspapers not to accept advertising that is not properly disclaimed or that contains false warnings about voting requirements and/or about what will happen at the polls

3. Train field staff, precinct workers, and your own poll watchers thoroughly in the rules they need to know for election day.

4. Plan and completely prepare for possible legal action well in advance of election day

5. Have Secretary of State record public service announcements about election day – when polls are open, who is eligible, etc.

Edit: Here we go http://www.democrats.org/news/200410140008.html
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Return to Black Flag Cafe