The Cheneys Are Cry Babies.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby SoloPilot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:36 pm

If you think that he wasn't powerful as VP, then you don't know as much as you think you know.

For that matter, if you think that Cheney is all that powerful, you are watching too much Comedy Central.
SoloPilot

Location: There I was, flat on my back, outta fuel, outta ammo, no commo . . .

Postby patriot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:39 pm

No, Patriot, the question was not legitimate. It was not even really a question, it was a comment on something which wasn't even part of the discussion.

Uhhh, we're discussing an "answer", you know, the one Kerry gave. And his answer was perfectly within the context of the "question" the moderator asked.

If you wish to debate this please adress my previous points. : )

If the Johns are so desperate that they have to attack their opponents CHILDREN, that shows that their campaign is really pretty weak.

I don't remember Kerry "attacking" anyone. As a matter of fact it could have been construed as a compliment depending on who you are. Let's try and get our terminology straight ol' buddy.

And Dim may be young, but he's a wiley one.

patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby SoloPilot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:03 pm

Patriot:

Actually, it was a response, something said after someone asked a question. An answer is a direct response addressing the points raised in the question.

The question had nothing to do with Mary Cheney. If it wasn't an attack, why did he mention her name, while in a political debate?
SoloPilot

Postby Dim » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:10 pm

SoloPilot wrote:If you think that he wasn't powerful as VP, then you don't know as much as you think you know.

For that matter, if you think that Cheney is all that powerful, you are watching too much Comedy Central.

Sigh - how do these things get bought up?

Because of his phenomenal career in the Senate LBJ was a more effective VP than say, Dan Quayle, but because JFK distrusted him and RFK despised him he was never a heavyweight in the Kennedy administration. In that respect he's probably more like Al Gore than Dick Cheney.

If you look at the historical accounts of crisis in JFK government - the Cuban Missile Crisis being the best example - LBJ is totally absent from all the transcripts - he's simply not there. When the president wanted advice he went to Acheson, MacNamarra and his brother.

Contrast this with the accounts of the Bush administration at war - and especially the chain of command when the US was attacked on 9/11 - Cheney ran things, Bush went to ground in Nebraska. (It's also worth mentioning where they were, Cheney in the Whitehouse, Bush at a photo opp at a school after taking after a month of vacation.)
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Dim is absolutely right about Cheney being a very powerful Vice President. Why do you think he's on the ticket? Not for political purposes, I can tell you that. He's a very strong administrator and respected by both sides of the aisle in the Congress.

Can this be the last word on the stupid Kerry lesbian remark?

1. Kerry's remark was politically calculated.

2. The Cheney's response was politically calculated. They saw an opportunity presented by Kerry's remark. You think that they actually got their feelings hurt? I'm sure it takes a hell of a lot more than that to hurt their feelings.

3. Mary Cheney knew what she was in for.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Dim » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:20 pm

Hey! Buzz and I agree on something! What's that trumpet sound? Who are those huge black horsemen up in the sky?
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:27 pm

We agree a lot more often than you think, Dim. I consider you very sensible even though we may have different opinions about the role of government. You have a keen eye for seeing past the bullshit and getting to the heart of the issue and you are never dogmatic.

All right, back to the arguing.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby SoloPilot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:29 pm

Hmmmm . . .depends on how you measure power. LBJ's power came with him to DC, grew over the years, and stayed with him when he became VP.

His power did not come from being VP -- which was a large part of the problem between him and the Kennedys -- but he was the most powerful VP of the 20th century.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy went to the people who were involved in foreign relations, and to his closest advisor, Bobby.

On 9/11, Bush went to ground because the extent of the threat was unknown. Cheney was in place to handle what was primarily logistics. The heavy lifting was done over the Bat Phone, then when it was deemed safe for the President to move, Bush returned to DC, while Cheney moved off the bull's eye the the "undisclosed location" that the media had their panties in a bunch about.

If you think that any POTUS can take a month of "vacation" then you really need to learn what the job is all about. He gets a vacation like a pilot get a "vacation" when his copilot is on the stick.
SoloPilot

Postby Penta » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:32 pm

We know. It's hard work, as he told us -- how many times in the debates?
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby goat balls » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:40 pm

LBJ was a crook...cash motivated him...one more reason the Kennedy's kept him at arm's length.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:48 pm

Actually, it was a response, something said after someone asked a question. An answer is a direct response addressing the points raised in the question.

Well, then you were way off.

The question had nothing to do with Mary Cheney. If it wasn't an attack, why did he mention her name, while in a political debate?

Because the moderator asked a question about homosexuals, and Mary Cheney is a homosexual.

How does calling Mary Cheney a lesbian equate to an attack??? She IS a lesbian, and we know it!!!
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:50 pm

Dick Cheney is the most powerful VP EVER. Dubya can't even tie his shows without Darth Vader at his side...
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby SoloPilot » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:33 am

Patriot, you have gone from rational discussion to plain stupidity, which in an area where I can't compete.

You with the argument.
SoloPilot

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:36 am

The whole argument is stupid.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Aegis » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:02 am

SoloPilot wrote:Patriot, you have gone from rational discussion to plain stupidity, which in an area where I can't compete.

You with the argument.

Well, it is an interesting notion here.

Who has been more influential as VP than Dick Cheney?
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe