The Cheneys Are Cry Babies.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The Cheneys Are Cry Babies.

Postby patriot » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:34 pm

What's the deal with all this hooplah over Kerry mentioning Cheney's daughter in the debate? Ooooo, he mentioned Cheney's lesbian daughter, what an evil man!!! This just shows how truly ashamed of their daughter they really are. Mary and Dick Cheney are slime. What's the matter? Kerry isn't allowed to mention your daughter because she's gay? Give me a fucking break. Kerry was asked a legitimate question and gave a legitimate answer.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Patriot

Postby Vincent » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:48 pm

I would disagree. The point that I think is being raised is, Could he have answered the question without mentioning Cheney's daughter? I think the answer to that is yes, making what he said gratuitous.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:03 pm

Gratuitous? It may have been in bad taste, but it certainly wasn't gratuitous. I just don't think it warranted the pissing mad response from Mary Cheney. She said Kerry wasn't a good man. Why? Because he mentioned her daughter? I think it was a perfectly good example, and a perfectly good answer as well. Look at it this way, the first one to start slinging mud wasn't Kerry. They could have asked Kerry to apologize, or they could have said his comment was ill-advised, but a bad man? Not only that but now they're trying to score political points off of it. Making a baseless and disrespectful assumption about a man's character...that's what I would consider gratuitous.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:12 pm

Would it be appropriate for Bush to surmise what Kerry's ex-wife's opinion of her husband is?

Why was Kerry talking in hypotheticals? He doesn't know Cheney's daughter. I'm sure he knows plenty of gays, starting with Barney Frank (Mass -D).

I saw it as a cynical, strategic attempt to erode a few votes from Bush's base. Looks like it's backfiring though. What a jerk.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Aegis » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:13 pm

patriot wrote:Gratuitous? It may have been in bad taste, but it certainly wasn't gratuitous. I just don't think it warranted the pissing mad response from Mary Cheney. She said Kerry wasn't a good man. Why? Because he mentioned her daughter? I think it was a perfectly good example, and a perfectly good answer as well. Look at it this way, the first one to start slinging mud wasn't Kerry. They could have asked Kerry to apologize, or they could have said his comment was ill-advised, but a bad man? Not only that but now they're trying to score political points off of it. Making a baseless and disrespectful assumption about a man's character...that's what I would consider gratuitous.

Mary is mr. Cheney's DAUGHTER. To the best of my knowledge it was LYNNE Cheney (Dick's wife) who responded to Mr. Kerry's statement.

Regardless, a man's family should not be held against him politically. Its supposed to be like in the mafia in the old days. We kill eachother, but the women and kids are off limits.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:22 pm

When Kerry's advisers scripted his quip before the debate, the original text was "Dick Cheney's daughter, that dirty lesbo skank" but they decided to change it at the last minute.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby patriot » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:30 pm

Would it be appropriate for Bush to surmise what Kerry's ex-wife's opinion of her husband is?

This is a bit out of context but I suppose if Bush made a postitive comment about how she felt then I don't think Kerry would be in any position to complain.

Why was Kerry talking in hypotheticals? He doesn't know Cheney's daughter. I'm sure he knows plenty of gays, starting with Barney Frank (Mass -D).

I saw it as a cynical, strategic attempt to erode a few votes from Bush's base. Looks like it's backfiring though. What a jerk.

Like I said it may have been in bad taste, no one doubts that, but this is politics and Kerry is playing the game. But *Lynn* Cheney directly insulted Kerry, and called into to question his morals. I don't think what Kerry said was all that bad, and it's obvious that the Cheneys aren't concerned about their daughter, but only concerned about scoring political points off of another Kerry blunder...at the expense of their daughter I might add.

Mary is mr. Cheney's DAUGHTER. To the best of my knowledge it was LYNNE Cheney (Dick's wife) who responded to Mr. Kerry's statement.

Pardon my inaccuracy.

Regardless, a man's family should not be held against him politically. Its supposed to be like in the mafia in the old days. We kill eachother, but the women and kids are off limits.

Well, that depends on whether or not what Kerry said could be construed as negative. I don't think it's holding anything against Cheney to mention his lesbian daughter, and if Cheney is going to lose a few votes from the base because his daughter is a lesbian then Cheney should thank Kerry. I wouldn't want the vote of a biggot.

this all just shows that the republicans can dish it out but can't take it.

Bingo.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Prodigal Son » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:05 pm

Cheney supporting a president that want's to deny his daughter and her life partner the right to have protected rights similar to those received when heterosexual couples marry is hypocrisy at its highest and thus fair game in political debate. It demonstrates Cheney is willing to put the politics of the family-value party over the well-being of his own family. It also goes to show that the family of one of Bush's closest political adivisors and friend would also suffer. Cheney himself has mentioned her when asked about his policy on gay marriage.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at other people -- and surely shouldn't cry foul if other peoples' stones hit home.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jackson » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:09 pm

Aegis wrote:
patriot wrote:Gratuitous? It may have been in bad taste, but it certainly wasn't gratuitous. I just don't think it warranted the pissing mad response from Mary Cheney. She said Kerry wasn't a good man. Why? Because he mentioned her daughter? I think it was a perfectly good example, and a perfectly good answer as well. Look at it this way, the first one to start slinging mud wasn't Kerry. They could have asked Kerry to apologize, or they could have said his comment was ill-advised, but a bad man? Not only that but now they're trying to score political points off of it. Making a baseless and disrespectful assumption about a man's character...that's what I would consider gratuitous.

thats bullshit. its D.C. politics have no limits.
Jackson
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:10 pm

Cheneys daughter has been publicly out for years, she's a prominent member of his campaign team and he mentions her in his stump speeches in urban areas when asked questions about gay marriage (although you can be damm sure he keeps his mouth shut about her in small town Ohio).

I think it's creepy the way Edwards and Kerry keep bringing her up, but in the terms of this campaign she's fair game.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:22 pm

Watching the debate I didn't think the comments by Senator Kerry were offensive in anyway.....and I thought that Pres. Bush was exceptionally gracious in his comments about his wife and family. So was Kerry. I also thought Kerry's comment that he admired Laura Bush was gracious.

I believe that Bush dissembled answering the question about gays....where as Kerry was pretty honest and answered the question. But then I am of the mind that being gay is NOT a choice, but something a person is born as....how they choose to behave is of course a choice...just as it is with heterosexuals....a person of either persuasion can choose to be involved in committed healthy relationships - and I know couples of both persuasions that have relationships worthy of emulation.

I think Kerry's comment was relevant and respectful.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:24 pm

You have to question it from a strategic standpoint...

How many Christian conservatives will not vote for Bush because of Cheney's gay daughter?

How many borderline voters will Kerry lose by insisting on classlessly referring to Mary Cheney?

I guess his campaign figures it's a good idea, but he sure is catching some heat for it. Maybe he can mention Bush's daughter who got a citation for drinking underage next.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Dim » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:31 pm

I think all the media attention about this is gold for Kerry - the more fundamentalist christians that find out that the VPs daughter is gay the better for him. He doesn't risk losing any gay voters, since even Andrew Sullivan looks like he's casting his vote for Kerry.
The reader this message encounters not failing to understand is cursed.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby doyle » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:39 pm

harun wrote:for the first time in my life the democrats are actually fighting fire with fire. usually, when the republicans mudsling, the democrats just sit there and suck it up. this all just shows that the republicans can dish it out but can't take it. jeez, i'm bored.

For the first time in your life? Were you born just this year?
doyle
doyle
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:22 pm

svizzerams wrote:But then I am of the mind that being gay is NOT a choice, but something a person is born as

Yeah, I thought it was funny that George W couldn't answer the question of whether being gay was in-born or a choice. Come on, the guy has probably been picking out "prissy" boys for communal punishment and hazing since he was an 10 year old in boarding school.

How come wanna-be cowboy tough guys have the most attuned gay-dar in the world (they can pick them out a mile away), but then act like gays just woke up one morning and decided to be gay?
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe