Flipflop and others

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Flipflop and others

Postby nowonmai » Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 am

shivers wrote:It helps if it's actually insulting. Granny & gramps are generally aces in most people's minds.

Add to "faggot" to that list of stupid insults. Variations on that theme get used an awful lot around here, but as far as I can see (since the departure of Shining Eye), nobody actually takes offense at being called a faggot.

The point you're missing is that an insult can only be judged by the intended target. Third parties judgement of said insult on the basis of effectiveness is irrelevant, unless it is an indication of a reaction on behalf of the target, which in this case is probably partially true given the track record you (generic you) people have of sending whiny PMs to each other. Alternative third party attempts to modify behaviour by either an appeal to a set of self-generated norms or good old fashioned ridicule (you pukes are learning, slowly, but learning nonetheless) are also good indicators of effectiveness, especially when the third parties have some degree of sympathy with the target.

Thanks to friendlyskies for starting this, it's going to lead in all sorts of unexpected directions, this sad little hidden sub forum being just one of them.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 am

nowonmai wrote:
shivers wrote:It helps if it's actually insulting. Granny & gramps are generally aces in most people's minds.

Add to "faggot" to that list of stupid insults. Variations on that theme get used an awful lot around here, but as far as I can see (since the departure of Shining Eye), nobody actually takes offense at being called a faggot.

The point you're missing is that an insult can only be judged by the intended target. Third parties judgement of said insult on the basis of effectiveness is irrelevant, unless it is an indication of a reaction on behalf of the target, which in this case is probably partially true given the track record you (generic you) people have of sending whiny PMs to each other. Alternative third party attempts to modify behaviour by either an appeal to a set of self-generated norms or good old fashioned ridicule (you pukes are learning, slowly, but learning nonetheless) are also good indicators of effectiveness, especially when the third parties have some degree of sympathy with the target.

Thanks to friendlyskies for starting this, it's going to lead in all sorts of unexpected directions, this sad little hidden sub forum being just one of them.

Jesus wept Nancy, how many of these overly verbose semantic circle jerks are we going to have to wade through?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am

Ultra Swain wrote:
nowonmai wrote:

Jesus wept Nancy, how many of these overly verbose semantic circle jerks are we going to have to wade through?

None because you have a choice.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rML13y-muOQ[/youtube]
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon May 21, 2012 12:22 pm

About that choice, its a choice between reading thread after thread about how you have the moral right to insult women or sit by while this site becomes a salt lick for you and the aztec dave's of the world. What happens when the only people left on this forum are fawning shitbirds? Who will you turn on then? Lovely little fucking crusade you and flip flop have chosen. Well played sirs, well played.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:About that choice, its a choice between reading thread after thread about how you have the moral right to insult women or sit by while this site becomes a salt lick for you and the aztec dave's of the world. What happens when the only people left on this forum are fawning shitbirds? Who will you turn on then? Lovely little fucking crusade you and flip flop have chosen. Well played sirs, well played.

This is a misrepresentation of the situation but we've gone way beyond facts; that was obvious some time ago. Re-read this thread and this one http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55490 and it's fairly obvious who is actually on a crusade. I don't PM flipflop from one year to the next.This story is really about a pair of posters going for their misplaced revenge cold served up with a hefty dose of moderator and friends back room baggage and hypocrisy.
I'm just telling it like it is, and if I thought flipflop was being a cunt I'd say so. What tipped you over the edge, was it the baby picture? I just like to know.

Live long and prosper and
This pic is my highlight of the year thanks Lightstalker.
and remember, if you don't know who the fawning shitbird is, then it's you.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Tue May 22, 2012 12:57 am

nowonmai wrote:and remember, if you don't know who the fawning shitbird is, then it's you.

And remember, if you don't know who the noun is, then it's you.

Now there's some reasoning that holds water like a tennis racket.

SMH
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 am

It wasn't the picture. ProTip(tm) + baby photo = veiled reference to sexual intercourse, I get it and no harm no foul.

You are correct about once very important point and that is this has gone way beyond fact a long time ago. But in a post-penta universe a modicum of restraint and class is called for. The ranks are thinning and soon this place will be nothing but a collection of shut-ins, milquetoast cut and pasters, rage-o-holics, and weekend warriors. That would suck, because the flag, the owner, and many of its former and some current posters helped me get from a cubicle to the jungle that says a lot I think.

So now that we have managed to chase off some long time members who actually got out there. We just have to wait to see who the crosshairs land on next.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Tue May 22, 2012 1:36 am

Ultra Swain wrote:It wasn't the picture. ProTip(tm) + baby photo = veiled reference to sexual intercourse, I get it and no harm no foul.

You are correct about once very important point and that is this has gone way beyond fact a long time ago. But in a post-penta universe a modicum of restraint and class is called for. The ranks are thinning and soon this place will be nothing but a collection of shut-ins, milquetoast cut and pasters, rage-o-holics, and weekend warriors. That would suck, because the flag, the owner, and many of its former and some current posters helped me get from a cubicle to the jungle that says a lot I think.

So now that we have managed to chase off some long time members who actually got out there. We just have to wait to see who the crosshairs land on next.

Okay I surrender. Accepted and agreed. In future I will endeavour to only insult people who enjoy being insulted. Wish me luck on my quest.

But I have to say that I think there are bigger factors causing thinning of ranks than the epithets of bad guys like me.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue May 22, 2012 1:38 am

I admire your restraint.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue May 22, 2012 2:26 am

A true gentleman.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 am

and perhaps a scholar. :-) I'm game.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby shivers » Tue May 22, 2012 4:56 am

Fansy,

Yes. Age discrimination. Dudes too. Calling a man grampa has about as much teeth as a black person calling a white person "honky", so even more stupid.

nowonmai, you know I like you man, but I can't be arsed to read any of that.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue May 22, 2012 5:01 am

shivers wrote:I can't be arsed to read any of that.

Hey, speak American!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Fansy » Tue May 22, 2012 5:20 am

shivers wrote:Fansy,

Yes. Age discrimination. Dudes too. Calling a man grampa has about as much teeth as a black person calling a white person "honky", so even more stupid.

i dont mind being called honky, as a white person i mean. plus i also dont think id mind being called granpa if i was old...most of the time. i can imagine people in general feeling upset about that shit, but i dont like those kind of people. but anyways regarding grandmas, i'm definitely not being as fair as i can be to grannies or non-grannies. i will try to improve my behaviors but i guarantee nothing.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 am

As a now 44 Year old Honky . Am I also a Gramps ??? Just wondering Folks I need Parameters to Know My Place LOL !
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe